• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gear down 09 XP

Joe i knew i could count on you to suggest "water" vs. "chaincase oil"......Somehow i knew "oil" would be a word you would be able to attempt to pollute with your BS IQ.

Last edited:
Joe, nobody turns there sled 90 degrees and carves there sled at 38 mph.....And everytime you do lay your sled over your always going to loose trackspeed regardless of which gear you use.

If your going to test gearing you have to test on long flat trails where the TRA has the ability to acheive "overdrive"..... When operating the TRA in deep powder acheiving "overdrive" is not going to be possible.

Furthermore "staying power" depends on the effectivness of the "belt". As the clutch heats up under load the "belt" can and will loose it's effectiveness due to "heat" aka "heat soak" which is a common problem with the TRA.

Clutching/Gearing is only as good as the effectiveness of the belt.......*flyweights, *ramp angle, *spring force means nothing if your using a weak belt.

Many snowmobilers tend to beat the belt to death which is a no no when you want peak clutch performance.

OT

"..nobody turns there sled 90 degrees and carves there sled at 38 mph....."

We doo that kind of thing all the time. Would you like a picture? You should see the turbo sleds go around when they pull boost on this trick!

P4040959 (Medium).JPG

My son on his Polaris.

Pisst.. don't tell him he's doing it all wrong~... He said take lots of pictures. He broke his elbow in mid January, elbow is still full of pins, screws and plates, but all the staples are out.

P4040964 (Large).JPG

I have tried 19 tooth 20 tooth and 21 tooth sprockets and lots of different weights springs and ramps and the best for me was the 20 tooth, 18gm weights, stock primary spring, yellow epi secondary spring, stock ramps in a 2006 clutch. I was running the 21 tooth most of this year but I started to eat belts when the snow got deeper since february. I bought my tenth belt and am on the second motor at 1800 km with my 08 154 X. the 20 tooth was the best all round for me.

If the snow load is really heavy 2'+ on a warm day the 19 tooth would work good but in loose cold snow there isn't enough load to get the secondary to open up fast enough and it seems like the motor revs up but dosn't really pull hard. depends what you want to do if you are just climbing steep hills in heavy snow or hard snow then the 19 tooth would be better but for me the 20 tooth was better for crusing accross meadows and fields in deep snow in cold weather.

Oh yea forgot to mention how the 20 tooth sprocket was way better for 38 mph doughnuts which I do on a regular basis.

BTW OT the picture is a STILL picture to see a moving picture it has to be a V I D E O. That is why you think the guy isn't moving.
If you have anymore tips like the one on chaincase oil start a new topic first
thanks

what's that old saying?
....paint everyone with the same brush just because he can't do it nor will ever be able to?

With 20:49, I did gps across a meadow in Turtle once doing 36 mph track speed - the gps said 26 mph. Had no prob carving the 163 in a 90 degree turn under full throttle, but then again, Im in shape.

This season I watched a guy on an apex do about 40 mph gps across a meadow, carved the sled under full throttle, turned a 180, happened so quick it threw him off the sled. (turbo apex was amazing)

Started with 21, tried 20 and 19. Ended up going with the 20, best of both worlds.

what's that old saying?
....paint everyone with the same brush just because he can't do it nor will ever be able to?

With 20:49, I did gps across a meadow in Turtle once doing 36 mph track speed - the gps said 26 mph. Had no prob carving the 163 in a 90 degree turn under full throttle, but then again, Im in shape.

This season I watched a guy on an apex do about 40 mph gps across a meadow, carved the sled under full throttle, turned a 180, happened so quick it threw him off the sled. (turbo apex was amazing)

Your not doing doughnuts in the meadow at 38 mph, your not fooling anyone.

OT

Last edited:
'09 xp 163" stock gearing and my '08 163" with the 20 tooth. I have NOT found an '09 to out perform my '08 yet. I do have the camo extreme too but my belts are way cooler then the '09.

Rode with and '09 163" with 19 tooth gear and I have to be honest. Dissapointing to see that thing go. Does NOT work. If you climb in the steep and deep and like to boondock only go down 1 tooth. 2 is too many IMHO.

Chaz

With the stock '09 helix, 43-47, gearing down lets the clutches shift to the 47 angle sooner (track speed wise) than a non-reverse helix. Which may show loss of rpm because the clutch is trying to shift up too much. May be the reason the '09 doesn't respond to gearing changes like the '08.

JMHO.
...MAX

How much better if any is it to put on a lower 49 versus a top 19 stock 09 rev.

I can only get 35 MPH on my donuts, OT what am I doing wrong?

How much better if any is it to put on a lower 49 versus a top 19 stock 09 rev.

I can only get 35 MPH on my donuts, OT what am I doing wrong?

your probably "counter steering"....ya big dummy...LOL-BJ;)

Your not doing doughnuts in the meadow at 38 mph, your not fooling anyone.

OT

Sure he is doing donuts at full throttle! It's easy. Just counter steer like BJ said, that side drops and hang on. Around she goes ~ Whee!! Full throttle, who really knows what the speedo says. You can stand up on a dragon, but the REV goes around so hard I do it sitting down or you can't hang on!

It's easy OT, Look at this kids elbow. Note the date stamp on the X-ray. Now that's what you cal "winging it"!

week after 01 (Large).jpg

I agree that the 21/45 is a poor set of gears for mountain riding in most cases. There is always the exception but I found that for what I ride here (sea level to 7000' in wet coastal snow) that the 19 top gear worked the best over all. You can tractor around boondocking as well as sustain the track speed over varying conditions. On top of that it takes some of the load from the belt and extends belt life, assuming all else clutched right.....

I ran a 19t last season and this season I tried 20t. I will be switching it back to the 19t, way more responsive on low end and who needs the extra 5mph on the top end with a mt. machine anyway?

I'm not quite sure what you guys are doing, but for some reason when I am carving in deep powder I can barely see my sled, much less how fast the speedo says my track
speed is.

Funny how we can go from gearing to 40MPH donuts in the same thread! :D:D

Premium Features

Back