• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurts gear down or 146 Convert

S
Feb 6, 2023
sweden arjeplog
I have a Polaris pro rmk 800 155 2015
That is want to make wheelie more and I want to know the pros and cons of a Kurt’s gear down kit and shortening it to a 146 the Kurt’s gear down is about half the price of a new track and rails but I don’t know if it will be enough for it to wheelie like u want it to. It already has a clutch kit, hard lug track, tuned motor to 168hp and it already wheelies good but I want it to stand straight up all the time

Mar 30, 2018
Anchorage, Alaska
I've tried Kurt's gear down kit twice - it failed both times and left me stranded deep in the backcountry. Once the flange on the upper gear sheared off (it's way too thin) and once the lower gear splines failed. IMO Kurt's is using a weak grade of aluminum and or their design is weak either way the aluminum will eventually fail. I was warned by a local after market shop that they had the same experience with several units. The performance gain was only marginally better on the low end. You'd be better off going with a QD2. The Kurts guys tried to say my tunnel was probably bent or some BS but it failed in two different places. You've been warned.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
The older kurts kits did have issues for sure and they went good for it, at least in my case. I Had a 15 pro 800na with their updated kit and never had a problem. I have had their kit on my 22 matryx 850 na since new and love it. You could try dropping the front of your skid down a bolt hole and tighten the front track shock a bit first, recommend an anti stab kit though if you do this. Or spend some cash and find a used turbo kit.

S
Feb 6, 2023
sweden arjeplog
The older kurts kits did have issues for sure and they went good for it, at least in my case. I Had a 15 pro 800na with their updated kit and never had a problem. I have had their kit on my 22 matryx 850 na since new and love it. You could try dropping the front of your skid down a bolt hole and tighten the front track shock a bit first, recommend an anti stab kit though if you do this. Or spend some cash and find a used turbo kit.
I have moved it into the Lower hole but I don’t want a turbo because it gets so bad mpgs and you need race fuel if you want to make any significant power

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ran a Kurts kit on my 2015, set up for @10,000 ft. I liked it for the improved throttle response. Do not think it would make an improvement in wheelie factor though. It was reliable for me. Am running the kits on my Axys now. Also reliable and even more responsive.

D

Dawson1223

Feb 6, 2024
Revelstoke
If you want more wheelie buy the khaos conversion kit. It’s around 200 bucks cad. The kit contains Longer limiter strap, extended eyelet for front skid shock and anti stab. Running it on my 18 axys 163. Installed it before turbo and it was pretty playful good hybrid setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dawson1223

Feb 6, 2024
Revelstoke
Could also just tension the **** outta the front skid shock and loosen the rear right up to see if you like it before committing to anything

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
If you want more wheelie buy the khaos conversion kit. It’s around 200 bucks cad. The kit contains Longer limiter strap, extended eyelet for front skid shock and anti stab. Running it on my 18 axys 163. Installed it before turbo and it was pretty playful good hybrid setup

Do this and go with a different track pitch. You want something with a 3.5" if you can. I went with the conquer 280 and my axys would wheelie decently but still climb pretty well. Changed the feel of the sled over the 2.6. Its not that great of a track durability wise but I love the rowdyness of it and the light weight, just know youl be lucky to get 1500 miles out of it. Cranking up up your front shock spring and loosing your back will make it wheelie more but decrease your ability to climb.

The real solution is to get a khoas boost, wheelies aren't an issue anymore

D

Dawson1223

Feb 6, 2024
Revelstoke
If your gonna spend the coin for a new track and drivers mine as well just buy the m770 composted.Track is amazing know people with 5000 miles on them

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
If your gonna spend the coin for a new track and drivers mine as well just buy the m770 composted.Track is amazing know people with 5000 miles on them

A few buddies have the m770, it's a great track but heavy which is why it last forever.

I just put the lx300 on my boost this week so I'll be finding out this weekend how much I like it. Heard it holds up almost as well as the m770 but is a few lbs lighter.

D

Dawson1223

Feb 6, 2024
Revelstoke
A few buddies have the m770, it's a great track but heavy which is why it last forever.

I just put the lx300 on my boost this week so I'll be finding out this weekend how much I like it. Heard it holds up almost as well as the m770 but is a few lbs lighter.

I didn’t notice much of a difference in weight between Polaris series 6 and the m770. Think it’s about 5 pound difference

Premium Features