• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Eureka

W
Rode the valleys yesterday and found 1 that had good snow and 2 that were windblown bad. The windblown snow was hard enough for the skis to stay on top, but the track broke through into sugar snow. When you tried to turn and busted a ski under the crust you would get stuck at low speeds and act like an ice breaker at high speeds. Counter steering on the turns helped keep the ski up a little. Was tough riding in spots. The one valley with good snow was fun. Wish I would have spent more time there rather then trying different areas. Riding in the trees was ok in the windblown areas.

W
Rode Eureka today. Was good across the highway from the Lodge and also West of the Lodge North of the highway. Some crusty snow, but we mainly rode in the trees today. Snow was good in the trees. Was cold, 10, but very sunny and a great day. Snow wasn't very deep though. The grass was showing on the edge of some banks and it didn't take long to trench down to dirt if you got hung up on a tree. Probably 3 feet of snow in the trees and a little less elsewhere. Watch out for slush on some of the lakes. No open water, but we were throwing up slushy stuff in several spots. Hidden by a foot of snow so it is hard to tell.

S

SnowFlinger

Jan 9, 2008
Anchorage
www.myspace.com
Bluck!

Rode Eureka yesterday, It wasn't snowing when we left around 7 PM. It looked like the weather was stalling out just south of Sheep Mountain. Doesn't appear they got snow last night by looking at the CAM. I hope they got some snow in the hills for the sake of the Eureka riders. South Eureka sucked, rotten old snow below cruchy crap. About 4' deep in places towards the glacier, some open water. No parking behind the roadhouse, it's a mud pit.

16" in East Anchorage at my place last night. Thinking about rolling out of here about 2:00 and tearing up some swamps north west of the Parks Highway tonight. Bounce!:D Bounce!:D

Premium Features