• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon recall update.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
why do the dealers in minnesota seem to think they are only gonna do another reflash on the ecu and possibly a head shim kit and send me on my way as a "fix"

Why does it seem that I find out stuff before they do and have to convince them to look into it???

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
why do the dealers in minnesota seem to think they are only gonna do another reflash on the ecu and possibly a head shim kit and send me on my way as a "fix"

Why does it seem that I find out stuff before they do and have to convince them to look into it???

I agree, the dealers around here are horse poo. They don't know, don't care and are completely unwilling to find out. Part of that is the fault of Polaris. Horrible communication through their dealer network and they give the consumer zero resources to find out information such as this on their own. Rather than providing some facts and an actual detailed solution they just let the rumor mill churn for 6 months. How is that good for PR?
We have poor Mountainhorse and AKsnowrider running ragged checking bulletins and comparing parts on microfische. Providing the best info they can to calm the masses. Gees, Polaris should be paying them :beer; thanks guys. Yet not all the info is accurate and we still don't know exactly what is going to go down. And we won't know how it even performs until an early season guinea pig gives us a field report.
To continue this early morning rant. What is up with the switching of silencers? What did they accidentally discover they did wrong now? Has anyone even ever heard of that before?

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Dealers

I agree, the dealers around here are horse poo. They don't know, don't care and are completely unwilling to find out. Part of that is the fault of Polaris. Horrible communication through their dealer network and they give the consumer zero resources to find out information such as this on their own. Rather than providing some facts and an actual detailed solution they just let the rumor mill churn for 6 months. How is that good for PR?
We have poor Mountainhorse and AKsnowrider running ragged checking bulletins and comparing parts on microfische. Providing the best info they can to calm the masses. Gees, Polaris should be paying them :beer; thanks guys. Yet not all the info is accurate and we still don't know exactly what is going to go down. And we won't know how it even performs until an early season guinea pig gives us a field report.
To continue this early morning rant. What is up with the switching of silencers? What did they accidentally discover they did wrong now? Has anyone even ever heard of that before?

First, your comments are exactly why forums like this are great - we get information, often long before anything "official" shows up. Now, as far as Polaris is concerned, it isn't that they didn't say "anything", just not enough and no detail with it. Of course at that point, they may still have been testing. They announced an update was coming last spring and gave a timeline for another announcement - they were late, but did put out information to dealers regarding what they were going to do, along with another timeline before they would announce when updates would actually be ready. They were late again, but now apparently we know when things are supposed to be happening. You're exactly right that many dealers just don't seem to be on top of things when it comes to updated. However, it isn't always because they don't care or aren't interested - sometimes Polaris doesn't make it as easy as it should be. When my '07 D7 had a reflash put out at the end of the season, I talked with my dealer about it and it took him probably 10 minutes of time on the computer to even find where the update information was and what was involved. Wouldn't you think it should take about 30 seconds to find something like that? Apparently it was buried in a long listing of unrelated bulletins and updates he had to sift through manually. It was almost as if Polaris was trying to hide the information.

Anyway, the other problem we're running into with dealers (especially in the midwest) is that sleds are no longer a core part of their business. Almost invariably, if the dealer is strictly motorsports related, ATVs and motorcycles are what keep the doors open - sleds aren't much more than a "fill-in" during the winter months. Sad, but true.

Last, as to the silencer change they are making (pardon if I ramble): This is my own opinion, but I believe Polaris has been primarily devoting themselves to the mountain market for almost 10 years - sleds are tuned and tested to maximize performance there. All their late season testing is done there, all their prototype testing is done there, etc. because that is where their big sales numbers have been coming from. With the 800, they had a motor that had issues anyway, but in the flatlands they had something that they just couldn't keep running under the requirements the EPA is placing on them. If you're a tuner, you'll understand that a 2-stroke needs a certain amount of backpressure in the exhaust system to run properly. Too little and it won't make power - too much and it will make great power initially, but eventually overheat and lose power (or burn down). I believe what they ran into with their flatland sleds is that the stock can has too much backpressure for the motor to run safely (only the flatland sleds get the updated can). In the flatlands, the motor has to be able to survive long periods of time running in the RPM midrange and the production package Polaris put together for '08 and '09 (and tested in the mountains) couldn't do it.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
With the 800, they had a motor that had issues anyway, but in the flatlands they had something that they just couldn't keep running under the requirements the EPA is placing on them. If you're a tuner, you'll understand that a 2-stroke needs a certain amount of backpressure in the exhaust system to run properly. Too little and it won't make power - too much and it will make great power initially, but eventually overheat and lose power (or burn down). I believe what they ran into with their flatland sleds is that the stock can has too much backpressure for the motor to run safely (only the flatland sleds get the updated can). In the flatlands, the motor has to be able to survive long periods of time running in the RPM midrange and the production package Polaris put together for '08 and '09 (and tested in the mountains) couldn't do it.

I think you are exactly right. but if polaris build it and shipped it with the wrong silencer then how can they make the consumer pay for a silencer that it should have came with in the first place to keep it from burning down? it is a bunch of bs and i don't even own an 800

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I think most of the dealers lack of knowledge comes from them not checking the dealer net on a regular basis...I know my dealer missed several things last year which I brought to their attention.I do think polaris could do a better job keeping both their dealers and the consumer in the know on things..as for the exhaust...pretty normal to open up the stinger for low elevation or you end up burning it down on a medium length pull...my guess is most of the aftermarket cans will work ok at low elevations on this update..just gonna have to have manufacturers or consumers run them and see what happens..for those that dont work at low elevations I am sure we will see the manufacturers produce low alt cans....thanks for the good word monty...I am just like everyone else..I hate not having info just so I can plan what I am going to do..and so much on here is rumors..I just try to relay what I actually find as fact..:beer;:beer;

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
What if you haven't had problems

I have been watching this thread for a while with great interest. I finally got the "official" word from a semi-local dealer that indeed an update is going to happen. Here is a question: What if you have not had any problems with the motor on your sled? Besides myself, I ride with 2 other guys who have 08's, and often go with another guy who has an 09 assault. Probably close to 4500 miles combined with zero motor issues. Are we all just really lucky? I know we all have aftermarket silencers on our sleds, 3 precision performance and 1 slp. We are trying to decide if we should just take them in and have it done or wait and see if anything happens to them. If the recall is a safety issue, couldn't we just wait as long as possible to get it done? I am none too impressed with the fact that only an SLP silencer (besides the stock can) is acceptable for you to qualify for the fix.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have been watching this thread for a while with great interest. I finally got the "official" word from a semi-local dealer that indeed an update is going to happen. Here is a question: What if you have not had any problems with the motor on your sled? Besides myself, I ride with 2 other guys who have 08's, and often go with another guy who has an 09 assault. Probably close to 4500 miles combined with zero motor issues. Are we all just really lucky? I know we all have aftermarket silencers on our sleds, 3 precision performance and 1 slp. We are trying to decide if we should just take them in and have it done or wait and see if anything happens to them. If the recall is a safety issue, couldn't we just wait as long as possible to get it done? I am none too impressed with the fact that only an SLP silencer (besides the stock can) is acceptable for you to qualify for the fix.

AEB, that is a good question..my sled has ripped since day one..I put 2000 miles on mine when the first update came out...2 trips before it got done my pistons looked perfect(I was checking mine after every ride)when they pulled mine down to do it they found it had scuffed one piston enough to hurt the cylinder..mine only went 400 miles before it scuffed again...since that repair...200 miles it has run very good..but mine will get the update...the more agressive ecm program with the deto light on is huge to me..at least then you will know when it is having problems vrs before...I also think the new map combined with new 2 ring pistons will cure the issues..power wise..my gut feeling is all sleds will be running as good as they ever have if not better..one thing about this setup..you cant bolt a 2010 cylinder on an 08 or 09 case..they added meat to give more cylinder wall support so you have to change upper case to run the 10 cylinders....I am getting the update done..and I would recommend everyone does...polaris has enough people pissed about this to get them in serious trouble if it doesnt perform(class action lawsuit)as for the can..polaris recommends you update to this can or the slp can..its not required.....

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
AK, have you changed out the fuel filter? I rode the first year with no piston issues, last year is when it started having piston problems. Since changing the filter out, I haven't had the lean O2 readings.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
AK, have you changed out the fuel filter? I rode the first year with no piston issues, last year is when it started having piston problems. Since changing the filter out, I haven't had the lean O2 readings.

I sure did ski..thanks to your find I changed mine that week..I also have another new one sitting here for this season...........when mine burned down the second time I had put a friend on it( we had a friend have a heart attack and die about 25 miles from the road..I had my friend jump on my sled to ride the trails to round up a missing rider(his was low on fuel)..I never explained to him to ride it like a mod and work the throttle, needless to say..he hit 6100 rpm's and held it there...went about 6 miles before it seized)
I like the idea that polaris is requiring filter change as part of this update..makes sure that everyone's sled should be dialed when it leaves the dealership....

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
So, is this officially being called a "RECALL" or is it a "SERVICE BULLETIN"? If it is a recall, I would assume you have to have this done to maintain any warranty. A service bulletin would probably be left up to the consumer but recommended. This issue really sounds like a situation where it isn't if it happens, but when.
No rambling there Rocket just some well typed words :D Your opinions are why the forums are great too! I think both Crix and I have had some rather undesirable experiences with local dealers. There is a reason I still do business with Four Seasons Sports Center 600 miles away in Rapid City. I'm not sure if the bigger dealers just get this attitude like we will keep coming back? In my position at Bob's Cycle Supply I often have to refer people to dealerships. It's sad when I can't refer them to places just down the road.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Thanks AK!
Now, should I or shouldn't I......hmmmm. I would sure like those twin ring pistons. I will likely wait for some of you early season riders to get the update out on the snow and give us some feedback on how they run.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane

Because MOST dealers are smart enough to know that if they don't have it in writing from the manufacturer, it doesn't exist. They would be foolish to feed the rumor mill as it would turn around and bite them.

If the dealers all started changing things based on internet speculation, they would be broke as the manufacturer would never pay them.

Nothing is considered a recall until the gubment gets involved.

Premium Features