• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon 800's-whats the problems

I am not trying to start a pissing thread. I've got 3 buddies that are selling their doo's and jumping to dragon 800's cause they are tired of them having problems. I have read that the dragon's have had problems too and am just wondering if they are just gonna find the grass the same on the other side (other than not having belts blow all season long).

So, what problems have people been having with the 800's?

I have not had any problems with mine, I would tell your friends to call rooster built and get the clutch kit and see your belt blowing problems go away. pm winter brew. its cheaper then a new sled. plus then they will out perform the dragon IMO

One of my buddies has a 700 and it is very dependable and solid. Just trying to understand what issues the 800's are having but apparently that subject is taboo on the polaris section.

Rt

I have an 08 D-8 163..it has scuffed the pistons twice in 2600 miles..other then that it has been a great sled...the stock track is a love/hate deal..in certain powder conditions it will go like no other..in other conditions it feels like it has no hook(I am going to the 2.5 camo-x for this season)..Polaris just released a new update that consist of 2 ring pistons, a new head and a new fuel map..i am told by 2 very good sources( both did heavy testing this spring and summer) that this will fix the problems with the motor..(both reliability and power)I know most Doo guys have a hard time adjusting to the cat and poo but the sleds should rock.........stock clutching is very good..but they pickup alot with good clutching..there is a couple good threads on here listing some well tried clutching combo's, slp single or twins really wake up this motor as well as does a slight gear down..

The problem is mostly bad single ring pistons, bad fuel maps, and some guys leaning out when climbing with under half a tank of gas. To give you an idea of the motor problems, my sled has 1100 miles on it, and is on it's third set of new pistons. Four if you include the factory ones. Hoping to get the updated pistons and head for this winter. See if I can at least finish breaking it in this time.

Don't forget the voltage regulators. Still love the sled though, we'll see what happens this year.

My only issue was the some mid-range bog. Adjusted throttle position senor and updated the fuel map. Didn't have any issues with the pistons scuffing. I always let it warm up good and didn't hold it in the midrange for prolonged periods of time. :D

Don't forget the voltage regulators. Still love the sled though, we'll see what happens this year.

O yeah, I also did one of those. It ended my season cause my sled was parked at my dealer for 3 months waiting for the part.

My only issue was the some mid-range bog. Adjusted throttle position senor and updated the fuel map. Didn't have any issues with the pistons scuffing. I always let it warm up good and didn't hold it in the midrange for prolonged periods of time. :D

My mid range bog was gone after the last update. I never touched my throttle till the temp read about 115-118. Then took it easy for the first bit. So warm ups weren't the problem I don't think. And I also steered clear of the midrange when possible. So some guys got good ones, and some got bad ones I think. It ran like it should on day, was making 8300-8350 RPM and the thing screamed! Couldn't believe how much power it had. Of course that all ended when the motor let go again. lol Not bashing the 800, it's fun when it runs, but that's the reality of my problems with t.

Premium Features

Back