• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Current Pro-RMK Ride Evaluations

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Let's hear some thoughts from those of you that have put some miles on your new Pro RMK this season. Anything and everything about how they act on the snow! Let's keep this clean, if you haven't been on one, don't voice your opinion.

To kick things off the two that I have ridden with personally are both in agreement that the chassis handles very much like the IQ chassis (08-10). They are very responsive to rider input and it takes little effort to work the sled on either side.

The engine makes good power and is smooth throughout the rpm range. Low and mid rpm range is very snappy and has good grunt when on/off the throttle. The sled gets on top of the snow and goes! In many situations where the older IQ's would lose momentum and stick, this new Pro just keeps going!

The suspension on the Pro-Rmk is good, rear skid transfers very well and this can be directly related to the new design and loss in weight in my opinion. Front shocks are addequate and definetly an upgrade from the WE from previous years. On my Assault 155 the needles are unreal. They absord everything from small stutter bumps to large hits and everything in-between.

One thing I have definetly noticed is the narrowed body. The track doesn't tend to wash out as in the IQ chassis.

The Pro-Tapers as always, a big hit! Re-designed running boards work well clearing snow but when it's deep, still and in my opinion will always be an issue. Powdercoating may be a very good option if you want to customize your sled as well. The carbon fiber bumper looks trick, but it's impossible to hang onto when covered in snow, which is always.

Smaller coolers lost weight, but in the end sacrificed ability to cool when not in the deep. The open area in front of bulkhead and the small 1 inch hole, do not allow much if any snow to accumulate in belly pan. Open area on pto side foot well not a problem with clutching. The belt is hard to take off but I've not seen a 115 grenade to my knowledge, field replacement when in a bind shouldn't be an issue for most.

The hood comes off in under 3 mins, but found out the hard way that the clasp holding the main wiring harness can break when cold, will see if Polaris will sell the individual out plastic piece or supply me with one on Monday. Stock grippers (same as past years) still a hit with me and compareable to Powder Pros.

A skid plate is cheap insurance (found that out as well, nice gash running down it...)

The sled uses a small amount of oil. 120 miles and the oil level was just below add level on a ride from Casper. Could be wrong but I believed he said it had around 9 hours on it at the time.

155 Assault TRACK...I recently purchased a stock Polaris 2.4 2011 take off for my Assault as I thought when the snow got deep the comp hillclimb track wouldn't work well at all. We were in 2+ ft fluff no moisture content snow this afternoon will a base and I was very surprised. The 2.4 is still going on somtime in the future but for those of you with Assault's, depending on the amount of time you spend in bottomless snow, the stock comp hillclimb track may be just fine.

Oh, and the ported snow flap is a guaranteed 10hp gain.:cheer2:

Last edited:
D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
I have said it before... This sled is an absolute blast to ride. The new skid is a great improvement IMO. The transfer is so much better that you can putt putt around in the trees and when you hit the throttle the sled moves forward and doesn't dig in like the years past.
The side hilling is also amazing
I played with the ski stance on all 3 widths and I ended up actually with the left in the middle and the right side at the narrowest.
The new pro is a great sled and for all of you waiting to either get yours or waiting for snow. You all are going to stoked
DC

Reactions: wyodoo
A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
Have 70 Miles on my 155. These things are crazy. power feels extremly smooth. was only able to make it have a hickup once but was never able to recreate it so it was a fluke. suspension feels great front could be a lil softer but i have yet to get to air it out so time will tell with that.

Feels like it dives to the left a lot easier then going to the right. It could be that i have a bent a arm on the left side but ill find more of that when i get home and get it fixed.

Only disappointments so far is that in deeep powder i was able to get the intakes to acctually block off and bog the motor. Another guy on a 163 had the same issues. i think vents are going to be neeeded Felt the clutches after alot of carving and boy they were hot.

dealer did a bad job with the handle bars they wern't completly tight but that was my own fault for not checking them. And these tracks strech fast so ive had to tighten it a few times but its mostly my fault for being lazy and having taken the rear skid apart for powdercoating and not getting it back to proper tension.

Reactions: Bagger

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Good stuff Riley...

I agree with most of what you have.

My first reaction riding was that the chassis is very nimble and "flickable". I think that the sled stays on top of the snow better than the IQ. Although I haven't been in much snow, I know my D8 would have pushed the snow more than gotten up on it.

The Pro gets on it side easy. So does the D8. The difference is that the Pro Ride is easier to balance on it's side and easier to get back up. The D8 wasn't a challenge to get on it's side (like the XP) but was sometimes a challenge to keep from falling over.

Oil consumption was the same for me. I have 4 rides in around 100 miles and I have yet to put oil in my oil tank (I did have it in the fuel). Fuel mileage is tough to determine at this point because I'm not WOT much from lack of snow on the big hills.

POWER - First day I thought the sled was very sluggish. Obviously smoking hard from all the oil in the tank. I really noticed this sled wake up around 5 hours. I know the break in as at 2 hours, but it seemed to really come alive a little later. The motor pulls hard from low and is more linear than the D8. No dips before the power valves open. To be honest, I can't tell when the valves open. I'm not worried about the power at all. This sled hooks up hard and the power is very consistent.

The front shocks are a little soft for me. Particular in rebound (there is no rebound chamber). I need to play with them a little to really judge them, but I can see moving to an Evol R or XO shock. The rear suspension is light years better than the D8. The track really hooks up with the Pro Ride and doesn't seem to slide out as much as it did on the D8. I might actually stay with the 5.1!

I noticed how fast this sled heats up. I've had to go to the scratchers often and hopefully more snow will help. I've seen the Pro Ride at temps in the 160's already and I'm not sure my D8 ever got that hot.

The boards are better for snow evacuation, but still not as good as the XP seems to work. I can see myself getting Better Boards for this sled.

I think a PCV will help with the fuel settings. A little clutching and the sled will be great. The power to weight ratio "feels" so much better than the D8. I'm glad I have this sled. It rocks!

Reactions: Bagger
A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
I finally got to ride my today. Put about 32 miles on it. Power feels very smooth, and IMO feels pretty darn strong for a bone stock sled. Running boards do a alright job for stock boards. May go with betterboards, but not sure yet. I had zero hic-cups today, hit some spots with almost 3ft. Forgot to check clutch heat. Did have to tighten track a few times. Started with 4 full turns the night before. Rode most of the day, then had to tighten another 5 turns. Then another 5 turns and it dont ratchet at all! It does get warm quick. I hit 174 when on the trail, but spin the track in the lose snow and it drops about 10* pretty quick.

Overall: I am very happy that I took the chance!!!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
155 Assault TRACK...I recently purchased a stock Polaris 2.4 2011 take off for my Assault as I thought when the snow got deep the comp hillclimb track wouldn't work well at all. We were in 2+ ft fluff no moisture content snow this afternoon will a base and I was very surprised. The 2.4 is still going on somtime in the future but for those of you with Assault's, depending on the amount of time you spend in bottomless snow, the stock comp hillclimb track may be just fine.

:cheer2:

I have a 2009 Assault and I have always thought the problem with the comp track is the 146 length. I really think the 155 will work great and have zero issues. Honestly you will give up a little track speed compared to the 5.1 series, but that is because you have some more rotating mass/weight. I think the sacrifice is worth it for how much more fun the comp is in the spring compared to the 5.1

Nice review. :pizza:

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
Rode with Watch This!! yesterday in WY and his Pro Assault handled very well in trees and the power is strong and keeps on pulling. about a month and a half ago I bought a Twisted Turbo HCR that runs stronger then anything I have owned, but after Riding Jays Pro I will sell my Turbo HCR for a Pro just for the ability to have a sled that is that responsive to rider input and doesn't wash out. It makes me a better rider.

For everyone who hasn't had the chance to ride there Pro's I really believe you will be happy with your purchase and I can't wait to sell the turboed HCR and by a Pro!!

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Rode with Watch This!! yesterday in WY and his Pro Assault handled very well in trees and the power is strong and keeps on pulling. about a month and a half ago I bought a Twisted Turbo HCR that runs stronger then anything I have owned, but after Riding Jays Pro I will sell my Turbo HCR for a Pro just for the ability to have a sled that is that responsive to rider input and doesn't wash out. It makes me a better rider.

For everyone who hasn't had the chance to ride there Pro's I really believe you will be happy with your purchase and I can't wait to sell the turboed HCR and by a Pro!!

That's a pretty impressive comparison!

Great reading these reviews. Can't wait to get some more snow, so I can try mine out.

Keep 'em coming...:rockon:

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley

You should PM GlennRMK on the forums here. I know he was looking for some input from Cat guys who have rode the new Pro. Sounds like this sled is getting some pretty good reviews.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
Just wondering if anyone feels any similarity in this chassis to the 03-07 revs? The characteristics look to be very similar. The riding position seems to be similar to the old revs and the pyramid frame is identical. I just want my old rev back but with the ability to turbo it as well.

Reactions: deaner

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Well with putting a couple rides on the Pro these are my feelings:

Suspension- Incredible, well balanced with plushness and stiffness. Although I am 230lbs I was able to bottom out the front track shock several times on the trails, I have it cranked pretty good, but I did powdercoat the springs and they say it softens the springs some, so I might have to crank more or get the shock revalved. Overall I am very impressed on how well it get on top of the snow! Don't trench bad and get unstuck surprisingly well.

Chassis- Probably my favorite thing about this sled. It feels much more rigid and tough compared to my dragon. Responds so well to my body english. Litterly feels like a third member of my body. The body position is drasticly better than the dragon which I thought was good. You can hug the gas tank and front plastics and it feels so natural. I love the bar height, perfect for me, a little taller than the Dragon. Running boards are much more rigid and I feel they clean out very well. The larger outter tube has tuns of grip. The plastics being so narrow makes carving and sidehilling a breeze. I still need more practice on doing a downhill carve, but I will get it very fast.

Power- I didn't add any more oil to the tank than what the dealership did and I ran it like I stole right out of the box. Feels very crisp to the throttle response and pulls straight to peak rpms right away! Very big improvement over what my Dragon did before I put a PCV on it. Now I would say it seems a slight bit more powerful than my Dragon, but that could be it is 40lbs lighter.

Oil Use- Like others have stated, less than the Dragon, which I like. Fuel mileage looks to be the same as the Dragon, maybe a little better since I rode it more than the Dragon and it burned about the same amount.

Overall-I can't wait to ride it more and ride in the mountains where I think it will shine! IMO the best sled I have ever ridden, enough that I put the Dragon up for sale.

Reactions: Rev Kev
B
Nov 19, 2008
sled works great i love the balance points of the sled you can hold nice lines although i did find a low on the sled... after 40 miles of riding and hoping back and forth on the running boards they are bent on both sides already not to impressed!

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
You should PM GlennRMK on the forums here. I know he was looking for some input from Cat guys who have rode the new Pro. Sounds like this sled is getting some pretty good reviews.

It's hard to put into words how well this sled works in all conditions. I rode the prototype last year for 3hrs and thought that the production sleds wouldn't run this good, not only do they feel better they run harder then the prototypes and I have never seen a production sled run better then the prototype.

stephenr_65

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Henefer, Ut
I have not rode my production Pro But i was able to demo a Proto type last year and it handled awesome on the trail it was alot like my Xp was on the trail you could scream down the trail on my xp and the pro was just as good maybe better on the the trail. Off the trail nothing like the xp it was very easy to throw around but didnt over react like the IQ lets just hope it is nothing like my xp in the dependability colum

stephenr_65

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Henefer, Ut
sled works great i love the balance points of the sled you can hold nice lines although i did find a low on the sled... after 40 miles of riding and hoping back and forth on the running boards they are bent on both sides already not to impressed!

And they said the running boards are stronger than the old steel ones

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
And they said the running boards are stronger than the old steel ones

That's what I was told too. The proto that came through my area last spring had around 1700 'test' miles on it and the boards were straight as an arrow. Just my observation.

stephenr_65

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Henefer, Ut
That's what I was told too. The proto that came through my area last spring had around 1700 'test' miles on it and the boards were straight as an arrow. Just my observation.

The one i demoed had almost 2500 miles and you could tell that sled was rode hard and they were straight

Premium Features