• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Concept High Performance Front A-Arm Suspension by Skinz

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Rolls on edge easier, when it gets on edge it has a bigger sweet spot. It absorbs the sidehilling moguls better. Carves easier and smoother. It just does everything better. Not to mention the additional lift.

The reason I lumped the Pro and Axys together is it completely changes both of them.

I have ride or had about every combination you can think of except the CMX front end or Raptors. The 36" sleds throw around easier than stock, but to me loose some of the sweet spot. The gentleman that jumped on mine had stock arms with very very well valved stock shocks. If I didn't run the Skinz, I would run the same set up. His comment was he couldn't do the same line on his sled.

If you think it's just spindles pushed forward. You are mistaken.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I don't think ZRP is bashing I too would like to know how this makes it better. This setup was designed for the Nitro,
is it really worth $1,200 of Improvement for the Axys. I've been wanting to try this set up, I just don't know if it is worth it????? If it is I'll spend the $$$$. Outlaw one response has me intrigued.

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
Technical Details!

It's just a question; how and why is it better?

Here is my explanation:
1. "Concept high performance" sounds exotic and therefore better than stock. You will stand out.
2. "Rider forward" is so 2008. Rider centered is better, so the skis need extended out. Plus, skis come off the ground sooner while climbing (do the trigonometry), so wheelies are easier.
3. Did you say billet? Now I am interested. It just means that it came from a chunk of alluminum, but it sounds so much cooler than that. You can sell anything if you throw billet in the description, just look at any fast and furious car.
4. Chromoly. See 3 above.
5. Fox shocks. Just put these on your stock suspension and you will probably experience 95.6% of the benefits for less $.

Obviously I am kidding, don't freak out.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
A couple of thoughts on this front end come to mind.

1: If you push the spindle 1.5" farther forward is that going to put more pressure on your front track shock and give a reverse instantaneous lift feeling? Maybe it keeps the skis planted better when climbing. Maybe it's just enough or maybe it's to much. Seems like it would be a rider preference situation to me. When the spindle is moved forward this also changes shock angle. When you lay a shock farther than 35 degrees your really not effective. Are the shock angles changed allowing the sled to tip easier so you don't have to compress the shock?
2: I can't understand how you can shorten a spindle and create less drag. To me your creating more drag but maybe I'm wrong. When you shorten a spindle again aren't we applying more pressure to the front track shock? We should do an experiment and just tighten our front track shock spring pre load all the way and see how a sled handles. This is a free experiment to anyone that wants to try it.
3: Is the caster angle changing on the spindles? My experience is CMX stands the spindles up and gives a sled a horrible darting effect.
4: As I read the advertised product I think to myself that all the claims seem to actually be the opposite.

The kit seems to be rider preference which is a great thing to have is options. The reality of it is you can't change some of these things pointed out above without effecting something else so to say it does everything better is a lie as it's just not possible. Different setups work better for different scenarios is my experience. It's a take and give situation.
Is the snowmobile world coming to a point that people just buy something cause it has a big name on it or do we still think for ourselves? I'm not saying anything is a bad product but seems as though people buy things for a name or under the impression it's going to make them a better rider when not every riding style is the same. Wander if Chris Burandt has the same taste in food and women as me?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
So your calling me a liar? Nice!!! It is possible.

Your missing a lot of stuff in your assessment.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
BTW....you need to get over the Burandt BS. If he doesn't like it or it doesn't work he doesn't endorse it. He helped develop the front end. They didn't just go here run this.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Who do you think tests rides and gives feedback? Who do you think was influential in developing the Axys?

He gets parts all the time he won't endorse.

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
A couple of thoughts on this front end come to mind.

1: If you push the spindle 1.5" farther forward is that going to put more pressure on your front track shock and give a reverse instantaneous lift feeling? Maybe it keeps the skis planted better when climbing. Maybe it's just enough or maybe it's to much. Seems like it would be a rider preference situation to me. When the spindle is moved forward this also changes shock angle. When you lay a shock farther than 35 degrees your really not effective. Are the shock angles changed allowing the sled to tip easier so you don't have to compress the shock?
2: I can't understand how you can shorten a spindle and create less drag. To me your creating more drag but maybe I'm wrong. When you shorten a spindle again aren't we applying more pressure to the front track shock? We should do an experiment and just tighten our front track shock spring pre load all the way and see how a sled handles. This is a free experiment to anyone that wants to try it.
3: Is the caster angle changing on the spindles? My experience is CMX stands the spindles up and gives a sled a horrible darting effect.
4: As I read the advertised product I think to myself that all the claims seem to actually be the opposite.

The kit seems to be rider preference which is a great thing to have is options. The reality of it is you can't change some of these things pointed out above without effecting something else so to say it does everything better is a lie as it's just not possible. Different setups work better for different scenarios is my experience. It's a take and give situation.
Is the snowmobile world coming to a point that people just buy something cause it has a big name on it or do we still think for ourselves? I'm not saying anything is a bad product but seems as though people buy things for a name or under the impression it's going to make them a better rider when not every riding style is the same. Wander if Chris Burandt has the same taste in food and women as me?

You are right. We are past drinking the Koolaid, we shower in it now too.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
So your calling me a liar? Nice!!! It is possible.

Your missing a lot of stuff in your assessment.

I guess I am calling you a liar if that's how you want to take it.

Your telling me you can lay a shock or a spindle at a different angle and make it work better than it was designed to use? Shocks travel in and out not forward and backwards. If it tips on edge better cause your not compressing the shock then it can't compress in the bumps as well. I don't know that this is why it rips on edge better as no one can seem to answer that. All I was stating is there is no perfect combination. Sleds are designed for the all around general public with vast riding styles and conditions. Aftermarket are tailoring for specific styles and preferences not an all around sled. I was never attacking you directly just questioning the theory around these things yet you took enormous effense to it.

Trust me I am over the burandt thing! What is it he has done for the industry again? Oh drive prices up on everything cause they have his name on it. Charge people an enormous amount of money to watch him ride. What is he famous for again? How many RMSHA championships has he won or competed in? I guess free riding is a sanctioned event and we should build all free ride sleds to fit a certain style and class right? Just curious why the world revolves around someone and why we have to adapt to a certain riding style and sled!

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
BTW....you need to get over the Burandt BS. If he doesn't like it or it doesn't work he doesn't endorse it. He helped develop the front end. They didn't just go here run this.

So is he a hero cause he helped design the Polaris then realized he messed up and had skins redesign the front end to work better than his original design? If he is such the hero why didn't he just design it right the first time and not cost everyone the extra money for the new better design?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
t change some of these things pointed out above without effecting something else so to say it does everything better is a lie as it's just not possible.

I would say that most definetely calling me a liar. Using my references is attacking me.

Tell me this Jad. Is your Axys way better than your Pro? In all areas. Answer that first. Compare the two.

Last edited:

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
I would say that most definetely calling me a liar. Using my references is attacking me.

Tell me this Jad. Is your Axys way better than your Pro? In all areas. Answer that first. Compare the two.

In all honesty the answer is No. slower speed sidehills not on edge the pro will be better. The pro is easier to ride in certain situations. Take someone that has come off an old edge chassis and stick them on a pro and a axys and see which one they prefer. The pro sidehills easier and will be easier to ride for a old school type of rider or a beginner rider that is not use to being on edge. If not on edge the axys lays over to the wrong side worse than a pro. Bigger guys tend to over power a axys chassis and get really squirley and prefer the more planted pro chassis. Look I'm not trying to call you out. My point is people prefer different things and thats ok. What you think is a great handling sled might not be the same as what I think is a good handling sled. Nothing wrong with either opinion is there? I am not trying to argue one way or the other is better just stating that different riders are gonna have different opinions.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
K... Well that backfired. Some of the other guys did. The guys that do. If they measured the differences between a Pro and Axys they might be shocked. It's some of the same things Skinz is doing.

In general your missing a bunch geometry changes that make it work. Also I think a couple things were worded wrong in the added. I think the spindles are taller, thinner or both. I understand liking things different. The guys I ride with don't like 3" tracks and the masses do. I get that.

I didn't quit understand where you were going with the Burandt comments. Skinz sends out variations of the products like this to a bunch of different riders. They all come back with different recommendations. Some changes they agree on some they don't. Maybe Adams likes the spindles pushed 1" forward with 2" taller spindle. Ross might like another thing, Burandt another and Vohlk another. Skinz tries to put it together to make a product that will make the masses happy. My understanding is Burandt likes his set up way out there. Watch the pics that float through FB. His spindles at times are ridiculously tall. That definetely won't work for everyone.

Polaris obviously can't design a sled just based on only his recommendations. The final design comes down to a what for the most part works for everyone. Clutching, gearing everything. That's why there is some room for improvement. I am sure you know that.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
We are in your area all the time. Come ride with us and try it for yourself. Maybe you can convert one of the turbo guys to a stroker. It's riders of all skill levels.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Would love to try one out. I think everyone is just curious as to how the changes effect the sled. I think the biggest improvent is going to be shocks on these sleds personally. The axys chassis is raised from the pro and yes for the most part works better but as I outlined in the post above it did effect another aspect of the sled and I think that is the explanation people are looking for with the skins front end. If you want to hook up I would give you an unbiased opinion. Oh and of course try to pursuade some turbo riders lol.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Wow didn't mean to open a can of worms with this post. Just wanted to let folks that we offer an alternative to your stock front suspension. Some may like it some might not.

Also, we do offer direct bolt on replacement A-arms in case you bend one and prefer the stock suspension. You can buy these one at a time.

SM2017-1160.jpg

Premium Features