• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coloring the rails on the summit...how?

D

dieseldog800

Nov 24, 2005
Bancroft, Nebraska
I must be bored this summer. I am thinking of either powder coating or some sort of "special" aluminum paint, that I can change my summit suspension rails to black instead of the bare aluminum color. Anyone have any suggestions, experiences or otherwise with this little project. I have seen this on other sleds but not sure what they used or how it lasted. Am I a tard for wanting to do this or what?:confused:

C

cog

Dec 7, 2007
Use this stuff, get the clear aerosal can.
http://www.ximbonder.com/products_purchase.asp?id=30

Here's a pic of the wifes Phazer used it to paint the tunnel, plastic and rails.

POSTEDINTERNET.jpg

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Well assumptions made that you are after performance and appearance I would not consider you a "tard". The facts are that open pore unpolished raw aluminum suspension rails (just like any aluminum part) ice easier and carry more load (weight) then treated rails. We've coated and tested many and those are the facts. Which is the preferred process? Having dealt with both anodized and coated rails my extensive experience for your application says coated is better. (obviously done correctly and remembering that there are all kinds of processes and materials so you can't say simply one or the other as you must compare apples to apples) In lay terms it's a more simple and inexpensive process to do correctly to achieve a common goals result.

Here is the deal.....(long and boring but it's summer so WTF!)

Aluminum is cheap, light, and strong which makes it wonderful for sled parts. But it also oxidizes and corrodes rapidly if not "encased or sealed". The solution is some type of process coating to keep this from happening. The battle in our world is not only coating the metal to battle oxidation and eventual structural failure but also we need to provide a super smooth finish to battle ice build up and bonding. The better "barrier" is the one that is the most durable, hardest, properly adherent to the base metal, and lays on with the smoothest surface. (then I guess you also factor in time and cost)

If it isn't microscopically smooth ice freezes or adheres to the base metal very easily. Once it starts to freeze and adhere crystallization is rapid and almost instanious. {IE} You get deadly snow buildup and sled gains massive weight and sucks down your performance. The stronger the bond between the part and the ice the more load it carries before friction and vibration break that bond. Some sleds with all kinds of killer expensive lightweight parts carry or pack on incredible snow loads with actual field use. Light in the shop doesn't necessarily mean light in the real world! Both is best!

If you chose to anodize then do yourself a favor and spend the time and energy to finish your rails to a high polish. The only time anodized can even remotely compete with properly coated electrostatic treatments of aluminum for battling snow and ice buildup is when you prep them to a high polish prior to anodizing and then the type and barrier thickness becomes a decisive performance factor.

The next question is surface durability which directly relates to how long your parts will appear new and the surface remain smooth for performance. Aluminum alloy is light and strong but soft and has a very low hardness rating. Meaning the surface finish is easily damaged. Smooth battles snow and ice build up so keeping your parts surface perfectly smooth results in enhanced field performance. Sled parts take an incredible beating so the process is paramount. Product, prep, and application is critical and there are wide variance in performance and durability.

So once again in conclusion the process that you chose is much more important then which application you decide to go with. The benefits of both when done correctly are absolute and unarguable. Which is "better" depends on your resources and all of those other variables previously discussed

D

dieseldog800

Nov 24, 2005
Bancroft, Nebraska
That's some good info F-Bomb. I really appreciate the response. All of what you said makes perfect sense and I totally agree with you. I have decided to go with a coating on them. Can you suggest what to prep them with and maybe a certain type of coating. I was told to use a polyuerethane paint. What do you think. Again thanks for the response!

D
Nov 20, 2005
hey there diesel dog ....hows it going? just wanted to tell ya there is a powder coat bznz in o'neil ne i cant remember the name of it ..i was going to have my ford 8 N powder coated .u have to take the part that u want powder coated to them, they than hang the part up and it goes on through the line of the powder coating......that would stay on .....my .02

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I do not know of any simple spray on painting process that you can do at home that would actually stick and stay on in such an intense environment. Even extremely "hard" powder coatings can't survive some abuse and the wear and tear on suspension rails can be brutal. There are wide variances of durability depending on the product and then even more importantly the application process and preparation. Painting will look fine in the shop but not long after you use your sled the rails will scratch, flake, and peel off and look terrible.

Every coating process irregardless will eventually meet it's failure or point of damage. Going back to what I put down earlier another issue with powder coatings is that the most durable and hardest finishes are sometimes the worst for snow and ice adhesion. Wrinkle finishes which are the hardest (generally considered one of the most durable) of the common electrostatic finish processes came in DEAD LAST in our extensive lab tests on adhesion rates. They were the "velcro" of coated finishes! Ice magnets! Remember "SMOOTH AND HARD"!

google up powder coating and hard anodizing that will help you understand those processes a little bit more.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
First I've done on my own sled, but have been around many. There have been factory coated black rails in the past also....it's just like anything else, if you ride the gravel it will get chipped up, but take care of things and they should look good for awhile. :beer;

Premium Features