• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado 4M Ride 2009

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
In order for a plan to start generating I need to know the following things:

1. Is everybody interested in riding in NW Colorado this next season and using SLO (Steamboat Lake Outfitters) as a base. It seems that peeps have shown some interest.

2. How many people are going to be coming and where do they plan on lodging? Do you plan on camping or plan on staying at the lodging provided at SLO.

3. Is President's Day weekend a good time to have it. I think it is the best time to have it, given the extended weekend.

If I can get answers for the previous questions, I can start talking to SLO about what they would require up front in regards to reserving a block of rooms/cabins. I know that Bushy has already spoken with them, but it would help if we had a number that we could talk to them about. That way we could come up with an actual price per person.

SLO is a full service facility. They have a store, gas station, bar:D and a heck of a dining area and they are getting really good at smoking meats. The trail takes off in two different directions from there. Meaning, you can ride different terrain in different days and end up at the same starting point without any worries. It is pretty cool. One day you can ride into California Park and the next day you can ride into Wyoming! I love the convenience. The snow was great last year and there are virtually no crowds. Plus, Steamboat is only a 30 minute drive away if you need to get parts from the dealers in town. The only thing that I suggest is that everybody invest in a spare gas can for their sled, cause you will need it if you don't have it. It's almost as crucial as having a beacon.

I will try hard to put together a plan that everybody will enjoy, but it will take a lot of cooperation from the rest of you peeps. I will love to hear ideas, suggestions. I also am asking for somebody that would be willing to work with me and be able to take over if I have to step aside due to the fact that I have a pregnant wife that is due in February (talk about timing):o

Thanks for letting me ramble on! I hope to hear from all of you.

UPDATE!!
Room availabilty, compliments of Bushmaster

Deposit at SLO has been made, thanks to those who have sent in checks or paypal
There are no cabins left, just the motel style rooms.

Last edited:
1. NW Colo: Sounds good to me.

2. Lodging: Count me in, i'll need a room. SLO looks nice, especially with group rate and all.

3. Presidents day weekend (14-16 Feb 08) works nice because of the long weekend. Valentines day being the 14th and the DTV broadcasting switch on the 17th may affect some people... but that'd work for me.

Snowin there yet? :D

There's two possible spots to camp. Both are smaller than the MC lor at RE Pass though. I can show you both and you can decide. One is a pay area. both are a few minutes away from the main lodge.

I'll help out if things get hectic for ya come Feb. I usually bring the camper, but I would get a cabin with a few buds for this shindig. No camping at SLO property because they don't have the permits and can't bend that rule. Probably a little early to get a lot of peeps to chime in, but if we put on a good party they will come :)

I talked with the manager (Gary) at SLO today to pick his brain and he's on board for the whole shebang, from discounted room rates (20% off holiday rate) to catering our party in their lodge and he's ready to reserve the whole place for us now. We'd need to come up with a 10% deposit fairly soon after reserving though. We didn't negotiate a final price but it would be in the neighborhood of $800 deposit if we were staying 3 nights. The deposit is refundable as late as January. By January we would either cancel and get a refund or increase our deposit to 50% of the total bill. He was also open to re-negotiating the number of rooms we would need at that time. Really nice guy to work with and I think we'd have a great time at the place. He said they've remodled so the rooms should be pretty fair.

Not trying to be pushy or get all ahead of things, but if we wait 6 months our bargaining power will be less and the rooms may not be available anymore. As of today they have no reservations for Feb. 13-15, but it's not a real big place either and that could change any time. Catlady can be treasurer and start collecting the deposit :D I'd be willing to kick in $150. Give me the word Ralph and I'll negotiate a solid deal and present it here. I kind of took Gary by surprise, so I asked him to think it over and come up with some solid numbers.

I got room in the cabin Chris. That makes two of us. lol Bring your renter along!

I really appreciate the help Paul. I can kick in some cash for the deposit too. I down for staying in the cabins (hopefully the baby doesn't come that early, but I'll have a sat phone available to me.)

if I am still living in Utah next winter, I'll try to make it this year, but as of right now I'm looking at moving back to central Wyoming ... probably won't have any vacation time for awhile if that happens let alone the week off every month like I get now :(

Hey Guys

I am new to the Denver area...actually moving there next week and absolutely LOVE to snowmobile.

So, if you guys need some extra help of ANY kind putting the event on this winter I would love to help out. I will also be in for the ride come February...I would like to meet other sledders in CO so I can get some riding buddies to hit the hills with:)

Thanks for putting something like this on!!! Should be awesome!!

track~

1. Sounds awsome
2. Will need a cabin, or a few rooms, as we willhave ~5 in our group.
3. Pres day weekend is peeeeeerfect!

As usual, I will help with doantions for the raffle. Lets make this the biggest blow out todate....:beer;:beer;:beer;

Maybe I'll get to play on my new toy this year:(

We got a party in the makin :beer;

Edited!! :face-icon-small-dis I'll make the reservation then! As this is a little different setup than previous forum rides some splaining is required. I talked with the Mgr. at SLO today and we figured it out. The daily room rates will be $79.00 for a Motel type room, $112.50 for the 1 bedroom cabin, and $152.10 for the 2 bedroom cabins. I went ahead and reserved the the whole place for Fri, Sat, Sun. (Feb 13, 14, 15), so the total comes to $6058.80. We need to give him a 10% deposit ($605.88) within a month (Aug. 15). He decided the deposit would be non-refundable though, which makes sense. Come January 1 we will need to finalize how many rooms we still need and how many nights and come up with 50% of the total at that time. The deposit will go towards that 50%. Even with the non-refundable deposit I think we're still safe as long as some sort of group shows up, as he agreed that the initial deposit could be credited even if we don't take the whole place. So, lets come up with 605.88 and take it from there. Deposit simplified: lets do a $50, $75, $100 for the rooms, 1 bed cabins, and 2 bed cabins, respectively. When your money hits the account you have a firm reservation. If you want to back out you can, when we accrue a surplus on the deposits, or come Jan. 1, whoever is going can buy you out. We're not looking to take anybody's money and put it in our pocket here, but we need some guidelines. The Mgr. is going to work this all up on paper and email it to me. I'll post what he sends.

Pay pal would probably be the best option for collecting funds. The treasurer will make the payments to SLO, and hold the surplus to be used for refunds, or to be applied to the deposit on Jan. 1st. Maybe we can setup some kind of account that's viewable to all who participate to allay any skepticism?

The room breakdown: http://www.steamboatlakeoutfitters.com/lodging.php
They have 12 motel type rooms with 2 queens. 4 - 1 bedroom cabins with queen bed, a queen sofa bed, bathroom and kitchenette. 4 - 2 bedroom cabins with queen and two twins, a queen sofa bed, 2 bathrooms, and kitchenette. Microwaves, stove, dishes, sink in the kitchens. They aren't real concerned how many peiple you stuff in your room, so the $10 per extra person doesn't apply, just don't get ridiculous about it! NO TV (I'll bring my porta dish, lol). If needed, there are a few other lodging options in the area and I think you can sled from a few of them to SLO on the trail network.
http://www.dutchcreek.net/
http://www.coloradovacation.com/cabins/columbin/index.html
http://www.glenedenresort.com/

They can do our party on Saturday night and they will probably shut the place down for our use. Probably be a buffet, or limited menu thing. He said they would probably do a breakfast buffet on Sat. and Sun as well.

:beer;:beer;:wine:

Last edited:
Bushy, if you bring me your rental sled, I'll take a spot in a cabin! :)

I'll see if the 89 Exciter will start Jim;) Definitely come on up, and with all the money your going to be saving not sledding next year you can get one of their rentals...No Yammies!:eek:

Chris, the big cabins have a queen, two twins and a futon. Gonna be some spoonin going on somewhere in your cabin:face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back