• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't wheelie anymore :( 07' Rev 800r

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
It's an 07 Rev 800r 151

When I first got my sled, the thing was a wheelie monster it would yank the ski's like nobodies business, but this season it just isn't happening. I did damage the sled early season but have repaired it there was no damage to the suspension (only plastic, and the tunnel but we straightened it). The only other thing I've done is removed the sway bar. I also seem to be eating a TON of oil much more then I remember last season, any thoughts could I be in need of a good tune up (lost power?), or will removing the sway bar alone make it harder to pull the ski's? There is no way I'm putting it back on as I love how it turns without it. Anybody else have this issue?

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Oil injection cable could use some adjusting, it's probably stretched.....maybe this accounts for some power loss which explains why you can't wheely. Did you pack on a bunch of weight over the summer?

nate

How do I adjust it? Whats a good amount of OIL? As far as weight, quite the opposite I dropped around 20lb finally dropped below the 200s, Hopefully I'll hit the 180's before the season is out.

C

crapchaser800

Jan 28, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I've got an '05 Summit 800 with a 144" track, and on long days with lots of full throttle pulls (seems everyone else has more track than me, so I need lots of pull to keep up) I go through close to 1/2 gallon of oil a day (again, really putting the wood to her). I've talked to several other riders that are similiar in consumption, so I don't really worry about it. I'm not fouling out plugs and performance is spot-on, so extra oil is cheap compared to a rebuild. I guess if your using less oil than me, I'm jealous of you :face-icon-small-ton

S
Oct 14, 2008
Have you or the shop adjusted your limiter strap,i had a old 650 XLT and snapped the strap,and it was hard not to wheelie,just my .02

If it's stretched, he'd be using LESS oil???

Unless it works differently than my '09 then that's not the way I understand it. When mine went in for it's 10hr check up I complained of high oil usage, the dealer said two things, 1- it's set a bit rich for break in, and 2 - the cable stretches and needs to be tightened. Maybe it doesn't work on a straight pull principle like a throttle body or whatever.....I dunno, that's just what I was told. Guess I should talk less about stuff I don't totally know about.....

nate

R
Unless it works differently than my '09 then that's not the way I understand it. When mine went in for it's 10hr check up I complained of high oil usage, the dealer said two things, 1- it's set a bit rich for break in, and 2 - the cable stretches and needs to be tightened. Maybe it doesn't work on a straight pull principle like a throttle body or whatever.....I dunno, that's just what I was told. Guess I should talk less about stuff I don't totally know about.....

nate

No, what they told you was 1/2 correct Nate. If the cable stretches, the oil pump volume lessens, thereby needing to be adjusted/tightened. But since brahm was saying his oil consumption increased and he made no mention of touching the pump cable adjustment, cable stretch would not cause the consumption issue.

Confused yet? ... LOL :D:beer;

I have a secondary light spring mounted on my pump arm to insure the arm retracts back to static position when I'm not on the throttle, just as a little insurance. My '07 isn't oil friendly but I have the cable adjusted to 18mm, trying to prolong the life of my original 800R :rolleyes: Stock adjustment spec is 16.5mm, so I am adjusted richer than spec. Bottom line; if his plugs aren't fouling, oil is not the issue with the power loss/ lack of "wheelie-bility";) My guess is his C-Lite lugs are finally softening up enough to get traction instead of wheelies(or there are enough lugs torn off ... LOL).

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
?? C-Lite lugs ??, if you mean the lugs on my track my track is in great shape no noticeable damage. Hmm I think it may be running a bit rich though, I have noticed it pop a couple times on shut off, although with that said the motor seems to rev up just fine.. hmm.

Last edited:
R
?? C-Lite lugs ??, if you mean the lugs on my track my track is in great shape no noticeable damage. Hmm I think it may be running a bit rich though, I have noticed it pop a couple times on shut off, although with that said the motor seems to rev up just fine.. hmm.

The track comments were a joke brahm ... I am a huge hater of the Challenger Lite that came on the '07's. I swapped my 159 C-Lite out for a 162 Challenger 9979 ported and my sled was a different animal. Back to your problem though, the fact your sled doesn't lift the skis as easy could be any number of things. I'd suggest going through the sled and do the easy maintenance stuff(if you haven't already). Check chain tension and swap the oil, clean carbs, check DPM and RAVE hoses, track tension and lube the skid ... if none of that works, dig out your clutch press and start the TRA VII nightmare. Hope this helps.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
well, I can use new plugs.. I pulled them and they were awful looking.. I cleaned em up and it ran good for a couple pulls then went back to bogging @ full throttle.. well, I wouldn't say bog more "pulse".. I'm still wondering if i'm either running to rich, or dumping to much oil. I have a hard time reading two stroke plugs as they always seem black to me.. Whats the trick.. on a 4stroke, "white = lean, gold = GOOD, black = rich"

My belt while not threading and appearing to be holding up from any obvious "damage" is very glazed the sides are really shiny.. When do you guys replace belts?

Premium Features