• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Could the relays be the reason why my headlight stopped working? Taillight still works but have had a bunch of snow in Utah recently and sled has been towed on an open trailer with a cover.

Nearly two years ago I had to take a late April swim and dive to recover my pro. It was running within 4 hours of going down and has run without faults like this ever sinse?? Those relays got wet!?

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

I think the worst thing is the chemicals that are applied to the road most are highly corrosive. in addition to covers I always throw a small tarp over front of the lead sleds on open trailers when roads are sloppy.

I think the worst thing is the chemicals that are applied to the road most are highly corrosive. in addition to covers I always throw a small tarp over front of the lead sleds on open trailers when roads are sloppy.

Back in the day we called them sluch guards..They went over the front of the cover 1/2 way up the hood and fully covered the skis and front suspension.

Which 2 part numbers did you come up with?

Are there two spec. Song Chuan relays in the sled?

Not to change the subject but what happens when a oil pump relay fails does your motor burn down are is there a safe mode?

To clarify...the Bosch sealed, waterproof relay and connector I'm referring to in my post above would require modification/cut of the harness... something that most would not do, understandably. This, I believe is the one that P.I. Should be using in the harness in the first place. Cutting or modding your harness will, most likely void the warranty on your sled... to be clear.

This is the one that I would use... Hella-Germany, with INDIVIDUAL sealed wires and a seal/terminal locking device.
picture.php

MUCH better than this one with the wire-group seal on the bottom... which leaks when the wires are pulled a little to the side.
This is a Delphi product.
picture.php

The others are plug and play...but need to have the resistance of the coil confirmed except for the Song-Chuan from mouser.

The one from Mouser, mfg'd by Song Chuan is the EXACT same relay that is used by Polaris Industries.... it is NOT a substitute or a cross reference... it is the same OEM part with the same OEM part number as shown in the photo of the polaris harness from Sage Crusher above.... but has a MUCH lower price-mark-up ....

The Song-Chauan 871-1C-S-R1-12VDC relays from Mouser are so inexpensive that I'd buy 10 of them if it were me.

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkey871-1C-S-R1-12VDC

Mouser only has 360 of them in stock... and that will dwindle fast if we are buying them 10 at a time.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of these relays at my local Napa store. Not sure where they got them but they had them for me next day. Pd little over 8 bucks a piece for em which I know it's not the cheapest you will find out there but had them quick so I was happy.

I picked up a couple of these relays at my local Napa store. Not sure where they got them but they had them for me next day. Pd little over 8 bucks a piece for em which I know it's not the cheapest you will find out there but had them quick so I was happy.

If you could post the Napa part number/s; I'm sure that would be of benefit to the masses. Thanks!

NAPA Number

If you could post the Napa part number/s; I'm sure that would be of benefit to the masses. Thanks!

I was unable to find a relay at NAPA with the same coil resistance and 35amp rating.... there were some that were 'close' or 'similar' ... but not the same.

There are hundreds of combos for this format/case-type/amperage/poles/resistance/diode... relay.

It would be great if you could post the NAPA number.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mouser has always been quick with orders for me.

Phone it in and ask how long before ship??

I agree, I've never needed to phone and confirm, always get an instant order confirmation email, and another within 24 hours or next business day if the weekend with all the needed tracking info.

I just verified with my Mouser Order History. My orders (for in stock items) have always shipped same day or next business day. I usually have items shipped USPS Priority, as that is the quickest, cheapest, best service for me in Alaska and usually is only three days in transit.

USPS kills the privateers (UPS, FedEX, DHL) for delivery speed, total cost, and customer service, to and from here.

***OffTopic***
I've only had one bad experience with Mouser and that was buying the heat shrink end caps I use on my aftermarket pipe resistors. The number I found online was for a 10 pack. I put that number in the Mouser data base ordered what they had in stock and when they arrived I realized that they had split the ten pack up and sold them as singles for the ten pack price. Needless to say I called it to their attention, they refused to see it my way, so I returned them and sourced the ten packs from another vendor who sold them at the correct price point.

I'll have to see if I can find the receipt mighta threw it away already. I know that it came UPS to them so not sure if they got it through their Napa parts or if they found it through another supplier. I'll do some digging.

Ya I just went and looked for receipt and couldn't find it musta got tossed. I did double check again and the relays I got from them are exactly the same so if you have a good Napa store by you they should be able to get em for ya. My guess is that if they came ups to them chances are they got them from another supplier and not through their Napa parts.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back