• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
After a bit of a crash into a hidden earth bank, my wife's 2016 SKS wouldn't start. She was fine, the sled was a little roughed up. We messed with trying to disconnect the tether thinking that was the problem. Then I discovered the coil wiring harness was apart (???) which solved that problem. About half an hour later the gauge cluster quit. After finding this thread I swapped relays from my sled to hers and it worked. I'm not sure if the impact did something or if it was coincidence.

I have an order in to mouser.ca for two complete replacement sets plus a third for spares. I went with the same as stock, but shipped to Canada all fees in, they were $6.10 each, not the $33.99 listed on Polaris in CAD. Now I have to do a lower a-arm, a spindle and a set of ski carbides.

Thank you for the information posted here.

Sorry to revive an old post, but I just picked up an 18 163 from an auction. Sled does have the load shedding problem. I found this post and ordered the relays from Mouser. My dash button that controls the gauge also doesn’t work and I’m hoping this is fixed also.

My problems are intermittent.....sometimes handwarmers/hibeams work....sometimes they don’t.

Sorry to revive an old post, but I just picked up an 18 163 from an auction. Sled does have the load shedding problem. I found this post and ordered the relays from Mouser. My dash button that controls the gauge also doesn’t work and I’m hoping this is fixed also.

My problems are intermittent.....sometimes handwarmers/hibeams work....sometimes they don’t.
Check your connections that are tied up in the black bag tied to your over structure - they are the connections from your stator (White Plug) generally fails- but the relay you are saying about hand and thumb warmers is located in the black bag above your primary clutch ( above the clutch guard) there is only one in there

Here ya go...

The load shed relay is located in the protective bag
above the clutch cover.

Excludes 2015 snowmobiles.
LOAD SHED RELAY provides the following:
• High Beam Switch / LED Array Power
• Battery Charge Relay Power
• Hand Warmer Power
• Thumb Warmer Power
• The ECU will close the load shed relay when the
engine speed is greater than 1,500 RPM and chassis
voltage (RD/WH) is greater than 12.8 VDC. During