• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Budget Build

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
Personally, I hate those things. I'm constantly replacing customer throttle cables because of their finger throttles causing the inner cable to fray. Fully half of the finger throttles I check do not open the throttle plates to 100%--more like 85-90%.

To each their own, glad you are stoked on them. But not for me. EVER.
I’m new to snowmobiles, but have been on stand up jet skis since the early 80’s. I’ve always had finger throttles, so I switched to the Munster after one ride with the weirdo thumb flipper. It’s just more natural for me. But the pointer fingy does get chilly sometimes.
I’ve heard the cable fray thing, haven’t seen it on mine, I heard the newer ones have a radiused Edge now where the fraying used to occur. You are correct, you don’t get full throttle unless you run the idle up to an unacceptable level. But I’m nowhere near needing full throttle yet!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Personally, I hate those things. I'm constantly replacing customer throttle cables because of their finger throttles causing the inner cable to fray. Fully half of the finger throttles I check do not open the throttle plates to 100%--more like 85-90%.

To each their own, glad you are stoked on them. But not for me. EVER.

I hate them also.
Frayed after 10 miles and lost rpm from lack of pull.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Do you really think any aftermarket skis will be as good as the Grippers? I do realize that skis should be available to fully compliment the track size and type of snow you ride but is there an aftermarket ski that dials this in any better?

Yes Sir, I definitely think the Mohawks are a much better ski than the Grippers, and came to this conclusion after many seasons of not believing they would make any difference. Once I tried them, I was quick to make the change, and have done so on each sled since.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Yes Sir, I definitely think the Mohawks are a much better ski than the Grippers, and came to this conclusion after many seasons of not believing they would make any difference. Once I tried them, I was quick to make the change, and have done so on each sled since.

Better for what? Easier turning or harder bite? Float better or more durable or what? Obviously track length and lug height must be matched to best ski so what is yours?

C
Nov 29, 2008
Cheapest mod of all ... Cut off the toe loops!!!!! You can get further forward and far less likely to damage your knees / ankles.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Better for what? Easier turning or harder bite? Float better or more durable or what? Obviously track length and lug height must be matched to best ski so what is yours?
Easier turning (with Carls cut). They do float better.

The biggest thing is the ability to make downhill turns without the ski folding up and "putting the brakes on" due to the rubber bumpers collapsing. Those rubber bumpers on the grippers are very low quality. Mohawk bumpers are just about perfect. With the grippers you really have to be on your game in a medium to hard downhill turn or you nearly get thrown over the bars. With the Mohawks, one can make a nice controlled carve in deep powder. Again, the Carls cut is a great mod to this ski!!

The way the saddles mount and intersect with the spindles is a very solid connection. The saddle can also be adjusted forward or backward a bit for personal preference and on trail handling. We just set them for the riding we do, which is almost always medium to deep powder. The Mohawks are not as "twitchy" on the trail as the grippers, which tend to follow other ski tracks rather than making their own track, like the Mohawks do. You also have options on the Mohawks for carbide length.

We have never been concerned about "matching track length with lug height". My sled is a 163" with 2.6" lugs. We also use the Mohawks on a 155" x 2.6 lug. Same solid performance with the skis.

One other thing, that i did not realize until it happened . . . if you bend an A-arm, (you know how the ski tip points down on the grippers, and makes it almost impossible to ride out?) With the Mohawks, you can turn the saddle around and ride it out. Can't say it is "easy" to ride out, but is doable. Of course i have never had to do this :)

C
Nov 29, 2008
Ski rubbers are a must. Stock ones get chewed up quickly (if riding moderately / hard) and then the spindle bolt ovals out the hole in the ski making things worse!!!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ski rubbers are a must. Stock ones get chewed up quickly (if riding moderately / hard) and then the spindle bolt ovals out the hole in the ski making things worse!!!

We have it all under control. And the wheel kit also holds the ski bushings so they don't oval out. CDN prices shown.

Gripper Wheel Kit.JPG

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
As far as skis go, the cat stock ski was terrible pretty much until the alpha ski. Grippers are very good. Didn’t so much care for the Mohawks, just my opinion. The alpha ski is pretty much equal to the gripper. If you can get the rubbers to stay in, the sky dog attack is my favorite ski.

Premium Features