• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Reactor Muffler

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
^ I wondered about that too, seems to me it would only work if it could exhaust upward somehow. Putting that aside, 8lb lighter and close to stock noise levels makes for a great can. Of course, what's acceptable and/or sounds good is very subjective; for me, I'd rather hear a can in person before I drop any money on it. I'm kind of glad not to see any HP claims; I assume they've dyno'd it and found no difference from stock. On most sleds, there's just nothing to gain from either less or more restriction, and I've heard the few that actually manage to show a few more HP are usually runs at low elevation – the same can may lose power up high. Anyway, you can't satisfy everyone, but I do tend to buy more from companies who make an effort to show their face here, so keep it up!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It makes perfect sense that flow out of the can to the exterior of the belly pan creates a vacuum via a venturi effect. This drawing of air under the hood will also draw in fresh cool air around the can to cool it. Once the outlet is plugged the venturi will no longer function and the exhaust gases will vent under the hood. This is okay for a second or two but if you are stuck it may be be coming in your face a bit.

• Sad
Reactions: xring60 and Timbre

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Your little "passive aggressive / whiny customer" Act is pretty funny but you seem to keep ignoring / expressing skepticism about anything attested by boondocker.

The "I'm confused/ skeptical act, about features attributed to a product" is the oldest game in the book. (Pioneered by Kelsey with RKTEK) Easily seen through and always recognized as Trolling.

YOU! and people like you! Are the reason manufacturers avoid forums.

If they respond, they lose......... Pure and simple.

Thank you Mr. Snarky for your unprofessional and foolish response. Also thank you for the free, and worthless psychoanalysis.

Perhaps you should take your psycho-babble and the rest of your fabrications to another thread instead of ruining this one.

The rest of us, with clear minds, are trying to get information on this new product from Boondockers that will help decide whether or not to make a purchase.

M

MarleneeSteven

Aug 17, 2009
Idaho Falls, ID
www.mountainsnowadventures.com
I agree with more info on passive cooling. Heat rises. It doesn't fall. That is before you compound it with snow. Need more info.
This effect happens as the force of the Venturi Effect able to overcome the force of the second law of thermodynamics (think heat rises).

We can consider that the hot exhaust gas behaves like a fluid, and we'll evaluate this in terms of fluid dynamics. The hot exhaust gas, as it exits the block and into the Y-pipe is allowed to expand. As the gas moves towards the stinger of the pipe, it is forced to increase velocity because of the constriction in comparison to the mid-pipe diameter. We can consider that the pipe diameter is somewhat constant between the stinger, through the internals of the muffler, and so we'll describe the point as constricted when compared to the mid-pipe diameter or conversely as the infinite diameter of the atmosphere. As the gas exits the muffler, the diameter in increased to "infinity".

Simply, during the constriction phase as described in the diagrams below, the pressure is reduced with constriction and velocity is increased. This low-pressure area is where a Venturi Vacuum is possible. A very similar "machine" is used to create a vacuum for activities like underwater dredging, jet engines and many other where a vacuum is required. See these diagrams:

venturi-vacuum-pump-principle.jpg

Venturi%20Effect.png

venturi-effect.png

Or, you can read more about it here: Engineering Facts Website

Let me know if this makes sense!

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
What about melting the belly pan? Thats a lot of trapped heat? With no nipple exiting the belly pan its a concern.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
What about melting the belly pan? Thats a lot of trapped heat? With no nipple exiting the belly pan its a concern.

It most definitely exits the belly pan. (See video)

Only if the exit is blocked does any exhaust enter the engine compartment. (Until exit is no longer blocked)

If anything the heat will be minimized due to the sled keeping momentum (exhaust not plugged and bogging)

Also the shroud is a heat shield for passive heat. (Radiant)

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It most definitely exits the belly pan. (See video)

Only if the exit is blocked does any exhaust enter the engine compartment. (Until exit is no longer blocked)

If anything the heat will be minimized due to the sled keeping momentum (exhaust not plugged and bogging)

Also the shroud is a heat shield for passive heat. (Radiant)

If it is built like my intercooled Agility kit, there is no exhaust nipple extending out like a traditional can.IMG_2375.jpegIMG_2378.jpegIMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg IMG_2378.jpeg

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
This muffler is new for this year. So , no I have not ran it yet. Im sure they did a lot of testing with it. Time will tell.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Thank you Mr. Snarky for your unprofessional and foolish response. Also thank you for the free, and worthless psychoanalysis.

Perhaps you should take your psycho-babble and the rest of your fabrications to another thread instead of ruining this one.

The rest of us, with clear minds, are trying to get information on this new product from Boondockers that will help decide whether or not to make a purchase.
I’m with sheetmetal... knock it off, you’re being a troll. Don’t ruin the forum, please.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'm a pilot: I make a living on the venturi effect, and understand it well. There was no indication that's what was drawing out the under-hood air, that's all. It makes a lot more sense seeing the bottom of a similar can (I'm assuming the NA can also uses an annular gap). For what it's worth, that's not a truly passive way of extracting air; it is brilliant though.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I’m with sheetmetal... knock it off, you’re being a troll. Don’t ruin the forum, please.

I'm sure "tin man" appreciated the support :)

A forum is not ruined by those who ask questions to get additional information from a Mfg. selling a certain product!

Forums and threads ARE ruined by those who personally attack those asking the questions.

Let's just leave it at that, and get back on the subject!

Cheers!!

• Wow
Reactions: xpracer30

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Finally got to use my can this weekend.

The “deep snow technology” doesn’t work. Snow was super deep. Lots of exhaust plugging.

Sounds great, gotta be one of the quietest cans on the market.

• Sad

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Finally got to use my can this weekend.

The “deep snow technology” doesn’t work. Snow was super deep. Lots of exhaust plugging.

Sounds great, gotta be one of the quietest cans on the market.
That sucks it didn't work. I know on the turbos they have had two different revisions trying to make it work properly. Looks like my first initial thoughts of it melting the belly pan came trueo_O. When it gets all figured out, we will probably end up with a solid nipple exiting the belly pan. They are nice and quiet like you mentioned.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
That sucks it didn't work. I know on the turbos they have had two different revisions trying to make it work properly. Looks like my first initial thoughts of it melting the belly pan came trueo_O. When it gets all figured out, we will probably end up with a solid nipple exiting the belly pan. They are nice and quiet like you mentioned.
It does exit like that. Notice the fit isnt good.

FFDFD3AA-CC51-4180-BFF2-D414E870E759.jpeg

Xgraphite

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
Idaho
Did BD weld the nipple on the bottom of your can? My dealer sent the can back to BD and they welded a nipple on the bottom. Exhaust now exits the bottom of the sled.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Did BD weld the nipple on the bottom of your can? My dealer sent the can back to BD and they welded a nipple on the bottom. Exhaust now exits the bottom of the sled.
Yes, update has been done.

I’m just gonna throw it out there- I would prefer this were just a regular can, none of the sheet metal, 40+ rivets, or gimmicky venturi effect nonsense. Like I say it really sounds great, and is very lightweight considering the sound level. Improved fit would be needed for me to consider another as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: live2beel
Premium Features