• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big gauge option

D
Dec 22, 2018
Well look at that. I can now select a rider for that ride. Thanks for the explanation, It was not a priority for me to add friends but wanted to know what was wrong.
I always had the offline maps preselected/built and started my ride from there. I have not tried this way like you just explained.

I also just tried it this way and it also worked, I selected duplicate rides from my saved rides and I can also select a rider I have listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear I could help. I think this way is the best for backcountry riding. No need to create waypoints whatsoever. And the app draws your whole ride. Fast and easy.

BRP really should make an instruction YouTube video how to use the app. Took me also a while to play with the app to figure it out but now its easy.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Wonder what updates we will see next?
I am going to guess, no updates to the current one, I think they are going to have to do a complete new one to do anything close to buddy tracking let alone GPS mapping. The hardware is not included in the current version to accommodate either. That is why last year we saw the "Embedded Maps" mistake.

2023-02-20_19-31-21.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am going to guess, no updates to the current one, I think they are going to have to do a complete new one to do anything close to buddy tracking let alone GPS mapping. The hardware is not included in the current version to accommodate either. That is why last year we saw the "Embedded Maps" mistake.
right now there is so much speculation and "rumor" out there as to what they are actually going to do.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With an interface (between the cable and screen) that includes a chip(s) with memory for embedded maps and a gps it can be done with the current gauge. It is a software update from there.
Thats certainly what I am HOPING for.
But if it is ONLY software, why on earth does it keep getting delayed?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I think you misunderstood, it’s not only software, the software may need to be updated to accommodate the hardware, and if there is a radio receiver that will need to be approved for both the US and Canada.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think you misunderstood, it’s not only software, the software may need to be updated to accommodate the hardware, and if there is a radio receiver that will need to be approved for both the US and Canada.

And thats the big issue.
I am not at all certain that they can add the missing functionality WITHOUT NEW HARDWARE.
Which begs the question, Will it be RETROFITTABLE to all the currently pre-existing screens?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
IMO the module will be no different than plugging a phone in and it activating the nav app in the gauge. My bet is doo is trying to figure out the radio side of the buddy tracking like the licensing.

Cats buddy tracking will not work in Canada right now I was told.

250mark1

Sep 4, 2012
any one have issues with the bluetooth connections
i can not seem to get an iphone to connect to the gauge ( tried 3 different phones)
phone wont show up on gauge / gauge wont show up on iphones

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
any one have issues with the bluetooth connections
i can not seem to get an iphone to connect to the gauge ( tried 3 different phones)
phone wont show up on gauge / gauge wont show up on iphones

I am unsure You don’t actually want to do that unless you have earbuds, and you want listen to music while riding. For some reason when the sled is started it auto plays music, and it’s harder on the battery when it’s trying to charge.

I disconnected my phone from Bluetooth because of that.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
IMO the module will be no different than plugging a phone in and it activating the nav app in the gauge. My bet is doo is trying to figure out the radio side of the buddy tracking like the licensing.

Does Polaris / Trail Tech?

This is one of the biggest problems I see with different implementations of buddy tracking. Not everyone I ride with is on Doo. I would very much like to see it available, but I think more value would be compatibility other brands.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

This is one of the biggest problems I see with different implementations of buddy tracking. Not everyone I ride with is on Doo. I would very much like to see it available, but I think more value would be compatibility other brands.
But that would require them to WORK TOGETHER on a common standard.
HEAVEN FORBID a collaborative effort!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta

Not sure.

I have the Polaris ride command app on my phone as well as the BRP go app. I had to use the Polaris app to find, and make warm up shelter waypoints on the Go app. At the time the go app had no map layers so it was very hard to make a waypoint on the go app without being able to see the terrain.

The Polaris app is 100 times better than the go app with the features and functions in it. The go app has been around for awhile

D
Dec 22, 2018

It wont work also here in Europe. As Polaris buddy tracking doesnt also. Cant use those frequencies here and also very limited power on transmission.

Until Elon Musk gets Starlink to work on cell phones, we wont have reliable system that would work everywhere. This might be the reason BRP is on the path we are seeing now, waiting for system like starlink. That will be holy grail for all the people in the backcountry sports.

My Pol/Cat/Yam riding buddies have used BRP GO. We have been able to track each other pretty well during the days of riding. Here where we live cell coverage is pretty good also in the backcountry.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
In addition to a common protocol, If they stick with land based radio technology for buddy tracking, it would be nice if channel selection becomes available. Change channels (frequency) for countries, groups, sled brands etc.

W
Dec 24, 2019
Had to move my 2023 today, and wow...firmware upgrade was available. Charged up the battery, and version 2.0.2 I believe...installed. Couldn't tell any difference right away. Checked the versions, and it matched the 2024 version.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
f94861df2e002cbdd0765be2229df0e2.jpg

Yep. There is an update for the 2023.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I do notice differences in the gauge after the update, especially the addition of a turbo boost percentage gauge.
I also do not recall the phone automatically going to the BRP app immediately and connecting. If I remember right I had to select everything to get the nav to come up.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I do notice differences in the gauge after the update, especially the addition of a turbo boost percentage gauge.
I also do not recall the phone automatically going to the BRP app immediately and connecting. If I remember right I had to select everything to get the nav to come up.

Both sound like good updates

Premium Features