• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Baldy conditions - Wasilla

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Haha, yes I sure was taking some pictures there. Aaron made it out fine. I got ahold of him shortly after I got home. Good ride today. Nice meeting you Wes..nice tracking skills as well! Well have to do it again soon.

T
Nov 21, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
Windblown up top , pretty decent at treeline , leave the kids at home, the trail is pure ice underneath snow in the worst places . Two tracks through before me this morning with a nice line around the first "ice chute " - came in handy .Fun ride .......forgot the camera :(

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Windblown up top , pretty decent at treeline , leave the kids at home, the trail is pure ice underneath snow in the worst places . Two tracks through before me this morning with a nice line around the first "ice chute " - came in handy .Fun ride .......forgot the camera :(

I was wondering if there was enough snow to cover the ice.. I bet the climb up cable hill was fun.. What was the worst spot in the climb up there? We need a little warm up to pack the snow down. It's to fluffy to cover the ice good..

T
Nov 21, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
I was wondering if there was enough snow to cover the ice.. I bet the climb up cable hill was fun.. What was the worst spot in the climb up there? We need a little warm up to pack the snow down. It's to fluffy to cover the ice good..

Yeah , when we got back there were 8 people at the bottom , just sitting there with their helmets off , (cable hill ) , we pointed to the alternate route to the left for them , but we didn't hang around to see if they tried it.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Cable hill wasnt too bad today. We were heading up around 1230 snow wasnt too deep, maybe 9-10 inches fresh in the treeline on top of a harder layer. Snow was a bit better mid way up to the right near the bomber, but still sucked overall. Great sunshine though. Took my little dude out and had a good ride with REV GUY. Sure beat sitting at home. :beer;

fb1baldy4.jpg

fb1baldy1.jpg

fb1baldy3.jpg

fb1baldy2.jpg

R
Thinking about heading up baldy this morning for my first run in AK. Would like to go ride with someone so I don't wind up going by myself. Anyone interested? looking to leave around 10 or 11 at the latest from ER

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Thinking about heading up baldy this morning for my first run in AK. Would like to go ride with someone so I don't wind up going by myself. Anyone interested? looking to leave around 10 or 11 at the latest from ER

I am looking out my front window at Baldy and it looks like you are going to have some nasty flat light conditions. If you have never rode in bad flat light it can put a real kink in you ride or worse kinks in your sled and your head.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
I am looking out my front window at Baldy and it looks like you are going to have some nasty flat light conditions. If you have never rode in bad flat light it can put a real kink in you ride or worse kinks in your sled and your head.

Well, it's typical Alaskan weather. As of now, the light conditions have changed and it looks like a blue bird day.. Sun is shining and the clouds lifted.. Have fun and be safe :D

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
That will teach you to try and play weatherman :D Don't listen to Dvarmit, just fill your tank and go ride!

Dumb a$$ Chechakoo hugh :D Your right, should have known better. Won't make that mistake again.. lol After I posted that flat light post I sat here and watched the clouds lift right off the mountain. Took all of about 30 minutes at most.. DUGH

Ran up Baldy for a couple of hours of test-n-tune today. Getting in was easy, but the trail is pretty hammered. It's a good thing it's not very long... Not much for ice on the trail, but not much for snow in places either. The snow wasn't great above the trees, and the tops are getting pretty scrubbed off. Slopes (at least the couple I was trying to tune on) were a mix of windblown hardpack and deep-ish soft spots. Needless to say, I didn't get very far with my test-n-tune.

Also, I saw LOTS of moose. There were four on the trail on the way in, one up above the trees and two on the trail on the way back down. Most of 'em moved off as I approached, but one on the way down decided he needed to hang out and stare at me for a while. He eventually moved off the trail, but I could tell he didn't really like it. I didn't stick around to ask him why he was being such a pain...

Anyway, be CAREFUL out there. Moose use the trails too.

T
Nov 21, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
Snowed all night and all day today (so far ) up there , no telling how much it is up higher but here at road level there's at least 10-12 inches so far . First hint of sun , I'm headed up !

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Went up about 3 pm today to play with my clutching. Probably about 15" of new snow on top. Wind was ripping pretty good but about 5:30 it died down and the sun came out for a bit. Managed to put on 35 miles.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Baldy was sick today. Great weather, really good snow in some places. The best footage is on Joshs video camera which I should get later this week but heres a few shots I took throughout the day. Cant beat it, 10 mins from the house!

Ross
baldymar01.jpg

baldymar02.jpg

Aaron
baldymar03.jpg

baldymar04.jpg

baldymar05.jpg

R
Nov 27, 2008
Awesome day of riding. Thanks for the invite Stew. Though next time I let you ride my sled I'll put some training skis on there for ya. :p. And I checked my brochure and I was right about the weight. You made me doubt myself so I had to look it up. LOL

Premium Features