• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backpacks

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
I've got a Fly Backcountry backpack that holds a shovel and probe plus other gear that I am thinking about selling. I am looking for something a bit longer than the Fly pack. The chest strap doesn't come far enough down for me and the pack tends to ride a little to high for my liking. What packs are you all using these days?
I was trying to find a Life Link guide pack but they don't make that particular version anymore. Doesn't have to have the hydration option as I usually carry a couple bottles of water and a few beers with me when I ride.

2008_Fly_Racing_Back_Country_Pack_Black.jpg

Last edited:
I just went to REI and found a pack that fit well, and had the storage I was looking for. I as well have been looking for a more specialized pack that was designed for this type of thing. I'll let you know what I find......if I find anything.

yeah , dakine heli pro for me. good pack and cheap at rei.
IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1425.jpg

other than its white its awsome.. throw it in the washer and its clean again. and its got the hydro pocket and router in the strap.

Last edited:
just get a abs.......

Which ABS is the best fit, size etc? I was looking at AKSNOWRIDER's yesterday, pretty cool. I wonder if anyone has accidentally deployed the bag getting caught on something? I love boondocking tight in the trees and sometimes get a little to friendly with them:rolleyes:

Which ABS is the best fit, size etc? I was looking at AKSNOWRIDER's yesterday, pretty cool. I wonder if anyone has accidentally deployed the bag getting caught on something? I love boondocking tight in the trees and sometimes get a little to friendly with them:rolleyes:

prayin why didnt you say something..you could have tried mine and seen for yourself....I like mine..mines a ABS escape 15..(it is on the small side room wise but mine has shovel and probe in it, my camera and some snacks, as well as room for a heavy shirt and spare gloves...I have never liked wearing a pack which is why I went with the 15, but now I feel funny with out it....but after a long weekend with a lot of riding I do notice I get more tired from wearing a pack...(not the packs fault)..Let me know when your riding again..if I am not riding you are welcome to take it and try it..see if its what you want and are comfortable with...

i rock the same as bag as nikolai dakine Heli-pro been using this one for 3 years now. its got a broke strap and its not in the best of shape but they dont this style anymore so im not getting rid of it any time soon. been watchin ebay like a hawk for another one

Ive used my HMK for 2 years now, I like it.

been thinking about something different

Last edited:
Bringing this one back around again. Well I sold my Fly pack and it's time to find a new one. I have been considering the Backcountry Acess Stash BC Rider pack http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorg...ash-BC-Rider-Backpack-2135cu-in/BCA0051M.html and the Mystery Ranch Saddle Peak http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12973/.f?sc=11&category=12

I need something with a bit more length in the torso, preferably 20" long or a tad longer.

That is the exact pack that I am replacing with an HMK this year after 2 years of use. The good; The BCA pack is long (I'm 6'3"), super lightweight (I'm not), water tight zippers (like Klim zippers), insulated hydro tube and lots of storage. The bad; lots of loose straps, everything piles up at the bottom in the main compartment, and no good way to carry your shovel on the exterior. I'm hoping to like the HMK pack better. More seperate compartments to keep everything in its place, less loose straps flapping, and plenty of exterior storage for the shovel, probe, etc. The zippers are exposed to snow and ice so I don't know if they will work as smooth as the BCA pack, we'll see.

I've been using a Dakine shuttle for years, finally going to upgrade this year to a BCA or ABS avvy pack. It's looking like the BCA's aren't going to be available until close to the end of the year....

Premium Features

Back