• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axe Holder?

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Not sure if many of you guys are into carrying axes, but if so, how do you do it? The only thing I'm aware of to do this is the Axe Mate. Looks like it might work ok, but didn't know if there was something better. I'd like to carry a decent sized axe, but it needs to be pretty secure and out of the way near the back of the tunnel on the side.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
An oldtimer around here always carried an axe on his sleds. He had a "pocket" out of aluminum riveted to the side of the tunnel that the head fit into, the handle was against the side of the tunnel and the end sat in a solid hook pointing up, then there was a second hook halfway down the handle that pointed down that you could remove with a big wingnut. Don't know that thats a very good description but it worked well.

B

broncoformudv

Mar 3, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
A good friend of mine carries an Eastwing metal handles axe on his wide track. He used two pieces of rubber belting(conveyor belt) one is mounted verticle and the base of the handle goes through it then the other is mounted horizontal and the tip of the blade slides through that and the weight holds it in. He has that mounted to the side of his tunnel and I have yet to see it come off on its own. He tends to ride that thing harder than a lot of mountain riders do their sleds and even bust tons of brush with it and it never gets pulled off.

I will have to see if I have a picture of it.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Unless you plan on using it alot, just stash it somewhere under the hood?
If there's room.
I got an axe zip tied to the belly pan under my exhaust can. Out of the way and I'd only need it for something the saw can't handle.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Just make sure that it is secured good enough to stay on in a rollover so it can't fly off and hurt you or anyone else trying to stop your sled.

Ken....

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I was hoping someone made one of these that was perhaps better than the Axe Mate. I would rather not put the axe inside the sled as I doubt I could get it secure enough where it wasn't beating the inside of the sled up.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Not the best picture (sled was in better shape then - even had a windshield) but the axe on top of the tunnel is a great spot if you have the space ... its out of the way of your legs and not likely to get hooked - we use a short bungie in addition to the velcro for extra security.

HPIM0261.jpg

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
That is a nice spot...looks like you are using the Axe Mate? I don't think I can do that on mine, it will need to be vertically mounted. I think I will order the Axe Mate and see how I can fit it on there. Thanks for the help guys.

throttlejocky316

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2009
Bickleton, Wa
This is what I carry in my backpack:

BuckCampAxe_WEB.jpg

68042.jpg

Both items together weigh less than 2.5 lbs.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I have been running an Axe Mate for a dozen yrs.
Have a second one in the truck that I would like to put on my boyz sled, but haven't found a good place yet. Kind'a hate to put it on the tunnel next to the foot. ???

On my old F2000 chassis sled (early Summits) I was able to mount it on the inside of the belly pan, but the newer sleds are so tight these days...

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
For my money, it's tough to beat a good saw and even a larger saw is lighter and less of a hazard flying around than a lightweight axe.
That being said, I used some light rubber (from the top of a pair of cheap rubber boots) and some rubber cement and velcro to make a 'holster' for the axe I keep in my truck box. The rubber wraps around the head and the velcro holds it closed.
Bet you could make something like that and store it along the back of the tunnel pretty easily.
Would you post pics of your final solution? Thanks!

Bag

S

skywagon

Oct 29, 2010
Put the axe back in the garage, Snobunje makes a great fold up saw that will fit in baggage area. You can saw a tree that is under the sled or anywhere else with ease.
Ron

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Start a fire with round wood.

The first thing you will be looking for is an axe. You have to expose the dry center of a piece of wood to get a fire started. If you aren't prepared, don't go.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
wow now I need to carry an axe to be "prepared"

:baby:

Heard some weird chopping while riding once...zeroed in on a guy wrapped up in the trees....followed the chopping right to him...parked my sled...took my pack off...pulled out my saw....hiked over...and cut the tree just under the spot he had been hacking at for the last ten minutes...in about 40 seconds....packed up and moved on.

Premium Features