• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ascender lift spindle options and opinions

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Both of those responses to Clarke42 were pokes not meant to be taken seriously.

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
We have several alphas and a couple twin rail ascender chassis we take out together. Love the Alphas and rarely see the twin rails outshine them.
Lots of fun functional variables.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
even with the skid “dropped” but at the same time the back of my track is 1.5”-1.75” off the ground when the sled is on level ground.
[/QUOTE]

Post pics of your suspension and the suspension mount holes. I kinda dont believe you. You must save your reputation and show the 1.5” haha

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I can get some pics. It’s pretty common that the back of the rails on these are 1”-2” off the ground. This skid is absolutely worthless and the chassis panels out bad too. For a beginner rider or one who only rides good snow it’d be fine but for me it’s sucks. I have to ride slow and constantly monitor/correct the washout, where as with a twin rail I can go hard to edge to edge and not worry about it washing.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Was trying to post a video but not a option, will try to link it later, shows it washing. But here’s a practice course from tonight, something I could ride aggressive on my axys but have to back way off and basically manage how badly the track washes while trying not to panel and loose traction. If this chassis was out of the snow another 2” and had a two rails to transition between it would be unstoppable. But with the alpha I have to ride much slower and sometimes wrong foot forward to manage it whereas on my axys I’d be feet “on the pegs” and rail right up the whole way. Id guess on a course like this I’m 1 to 3 seconds slower on the alpha because of its handling traits.

DDBEEDBF-1C3F-47AC-9B12-EED08789EBFF.jpeg

Last edited:
M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
even with the skid “dropped” but at the same time the back of my track is 1.5”-1.75” off the ground when the sled is on level ground.

Post pics of your suspension and the suspension mount holes. I kinda dont believe you. You must save your reputation and show the 1.5” haha
[/QUOTE]

Here ya go, it was 1.75” before dropping and now 1.25”. Dropping it was a improvement for me but it still panels bad, the more I ride it the more I’m leaning towards the ice age elevate for a 2” lift in front. I’m concerned about increasing ski pressure but at the same time it will get more weight on the skid rather then it being so focused towards the front of the machine. Planning on riding a couple more weeks, might grab a set now and try to get some baseline settings for next year.

B6F0CCB8-E326-4734-8AE1-3BC05F627963.jpeg 0FFC8289-DFC5-4849-9FAF-EC1D6E6C8338.jpeg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
does it drag the low hanging outer edge of the boards too, or just the body? I found aftermarket tube boards raise the outer edge enough to notice in extreme situations. Dont hear of ascenders paneling out very often. they are low for sure though.

Reactions: Clark42

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Was trying to post a video but not a option, will try to link it later, shows it washing. But here’s a practice course from tonight, something I could ride aggressive on my axys but have to back way off and basically manage how badly the track washes while trying not to panel and loose traction. If this chassis was out of the snow another 2” and had a two rails to transition between it would be unstoppable. But with the alpha I have to ride much slower and sometimes wrong foot forward to manage it whereas on my axys I’d be feet “on the pegs” and rail right up the whole way. Id guess on a course like this I’m 1 to 3 seconds slower on the alpha because of its handling traits.
sounds like you want a twin rail elevate haha. Forget the alpha rail

If you're worried about ski pressure, swap the skis for grippers

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Thank you for posting pics. We are trying to get to same thing! I was thinking to move the rear suspension up one hole. What do you think it will do to handling? Looking for the elusive light skis on an ascender!

CAA3B049-E3DD-41D3-986E-8A53C3E70F2C.jpeg

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
But if you flatten the rear on hard snow you eliminate the cantilever created by having the rear off the ground.

I understand why you’re raising the chassis, but trying to flatten your rear measurement is eliminating most of your transfer.
A long flat track wants to go straight and won’t let front lift.
A track with gap at the rear allows you to transfer weight back and lift skis easier, creates a fulcrum for lifting and turning.
Very relevant on hard surfaces, cushioned by deeper, softer surfaces.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Thank you for posting pics. We are trying to get to same thing! I was thinking to move the rear suspension up one hole. What do you think it will do to handling? Looking for the elusive light skis on an ascender!

Running the highest hole in the rear and dropped front will get you more weight transfer and it will be super playful but can be prone to trenching but manageable. Could likely find a sweet spot with preload/psi on the skid shocks. Ran some mtn iqr’s like that. Good set up for bow ties.

I want something that can be ridden aggressively on edge, the alpha skid ain’t it so for sure going twin.

The more I ride it the more I’m leaning towards the elevate spindles for panel clearance alone, go big or go home right? Manage ski pressure with skid settings and shock preload so opening a whole can of worms basically.

Reactions: kanedog
M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
But if you flatten the rear on hard snow you eliminate the cantilever created by having the rear off the ground.

I understand why you’re raising the chassis, but trying to flatten your rear measurement is eliminating most of your transfer.
A long flat track wants to go straight and won’t let front lift.
A track with gap at the rear allows you to transfer weight back and lift skis easier, creates a fulcrum for lifting and turning.
Very relevant on hard surfaces, cushioned by deeper, softer surfaces.

Valid points. It’s not really hard snow in the springl. Should still get weight transfer with shock preload/psi/valving. My axys lays flat and runs circles on this thing on technical descents and climbs where you’re between edges the whole time. I could always runs the skid in the middle rear hole if it’s not transferring enough?

Reactions: IDspud
Premium Features