• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Good info dave.

Dave, do these turbos have the hyvo gear and chain in them?
Owner’s manual says there will be a decal on the chaincase, but my sled does not. I don’t feel like taking the chaincase apart to look.
I find it odd all of the reports to check the chain because of stretching that wasn’t a comment I recall with the G4 turbo. Thinking of it, I do not hear the whine of the hyvo on vids I watched so far like I did on the G4.

Was the decal a miss on my sled, or are other sleds missing the hyvo warning sticker.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
No decal on my sled and my ‘22 turbo had the decal in plain sight on the top of the chain case. Interesting that they went to Hyvo for the previous turbos but maybe didn’t on the ‘23s which are more powerful.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The 22 and 23 run the same 21 tooth gear (504154188)And the same chain on the parts diagram.

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Good info dave.

Dave, do these turbos have the hyvo gear and chain in them?
Owner’s manual says there will be a decal on the chaincase, but my sled does not. I don’t feel like taking the chaincase apart to look.
I find it odd all of the reports to check the chain because of stretching that wasn’t a comment I recall with the G4 turbo. Thinking of it, I do not hear the whine of the hyvo on vids I watched so far like I did on the G4.

Was the decal a miss on my sled, or are other sleds missing the hyvo warning sticker.
No for more gear availability is why.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Pay more get less seams to be the norm now days . I’ve already replaced my chain and gears with hyvo ones from a local supplier. Was going to run belt drive but don’t want to loose foot room on right side . 300 miles chain was stretched a lot .

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Pay more get less seams to be the norm now days . I’ve already replaced my chain and gears with hyvo ones from a local supplier. Was going to run belt drive but don’t want to loose foot room on right side . 300 miles chain was stretched a lot .

That’s very interesting.

Do you mind taking a pic of the P/n of the gears that came out of your sled?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
i got a 20t hyvo from hrss. it fits perfect.

If your chain has a LB stamped on the side, that’s not a hyvo chain.

I just confirmed on my sled, It’s definitely not a hyvo gear or chain.

This is a big mixup and it already created a issue at the dealer, the parts Fiche shows HYVO gears and chain’s because they have a customer looking for a chain.
46f93c56d7f9f69c74e74eacafd6ad02.jpg

This is a hyvo chain with the 3910 non hyvo gear. It does not fit.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
b22abafc6350fcefc2500cae735a0e3b.jpg

12141a6aebd0c97be92c0c2e0ed9e575.jpg

Top pic is the Chain on my 2023 turbo. The bottom is out of my T3. Same chain

Dave is correct, my sled does not have hyvo in it. At this point, I will not assume all 2023 turbo sleds have hyvo or not.

Now the problem That’s already happening as proven in this post, is now guys are now changing parts thinking everything is the same as before. Parts Fiche says the same p/n for the gears and chain since the turbo was released, but I confirmed today that the fiche is not showing the same parts that are installed on my sled, and will be a problem at the dealer parts department level if a customer is looking to replace a chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
b22abafc6350fcefc2500cae735a0e3b.jpg

12141a6aebd0c97be92c0c2e0ed9e575.jpg

Top pic is the Chain on my 2023 turbo. The bottom is out of my T3. Same chain

Dave is correct, my sled does not have hyvo in it. At this point, I will not assume all 2023 turbo sleds have hyvo or not.

Now the problem That’s already happening as proven in this post, is now guys are now changing parts thinking everything is the same as before. Parts Fiche says the same p/n for the gears and chain since the turbo was released, but I confirmed today that the fiche is not showing the same parts that are installed on my sled, and will be a problem at the dealer parts department level if a customer is looking to replace a chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes if you put an older chain or a N/A Chain on a 20.5-22 turbo it will wear really fast. You must look up parts for your model year and sled, as there are differences. 2023 the chain and gears is the same across all summits N/a or turbo. There is other stuff as well so if your running a lynx then make sure you check lynx parts do not assume ever all parts are the same. So checking with your dealer is paramount, cheers dave

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
i will check my chain and probably put the stock gear back in. i don't want to screw something up. thanks
nothing wrong with updating things but you want to make sure you use the right stuff, i learned a lot from engineers, like many guy think oh just make this or that stronger but then it can cause more damage as just building something up strong means it can pass the load to somewhere else, an easy explination of this is putting lots of bracing in the e or s module and guys think that is better, it can be for certain hits but then it also can pass a big hit to somewhere else like the tunnel, its why you see more damage in tunnels on polaris vrs s or e module on doo, just food for thought when you go and spend money on things and think your doing something high value when the stock parts are fine and will be fine under normal use of the vehicle, cheers dave

Premium Features