• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Gear Down ?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Kane I agree at elevation but on flatland is different and the load is also different I've spent lots of time and money. I have aeons clutch book and know it inside and out. Somthing to think about when drag racing at sea level a geared up sled will crush one that's geared down to far. Have you ever broke a belt going wide open with both clutches shifted out. There is a fine line. Trs has this down pat for elevation and understands how to make both clutches work together to achieve top track speed in different conditions.
My clutches are fully shifted out at 8000 rpm and I use the rpms from 8000-8400 to gain another 7 mph. In a drag race, a really low geared sled will kill a high geared one. It will be so fast off the line and will hit full shift clutch lockout quickly and the rpm will climb along with the rpm. The high geared sled is still struggling to keep up. Unless you have tried it or seen it, you won't believe it and even when you see it, it is still incomprehendible how it works so well.
If you are going by Olav Aaens book then you would know that 1-1 is most efficient. Why not run your sled at 1-1 like Olav says?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
My clutches are fully shifted out at 8000 rpm and I use the rpms from 8000-8400 to gain another 7 mph. In a drag race, a really low geared sled will kill a high geared one. It will be so fast off the line and will hit full shift clutch lockout quickly and the rpm will climb along with the rpm. The high geared sled is still struggling to keep up. Unless you have tried it or seen it, you won't believe it and even when you see it, it is still incomprehendible how it works so well.
If you are going by Olav Aaens book then you would know that 1-1 is most efficient. Why not run your sled at 1-1 like Olav says?

What I'm saying here is hitting the wall geared to low you are achieving the full shift out belt will get lose and slip without enough pull in the seconday. Why do we gear down a sled at elevation because of less power. Why do we gear a turbo sled up after installing a turbo more power.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What I'm saying here is hitting the wall geared to low you are achieving the full shift out belt will get lose and slip without enough pull in the seconday. Why do we gear down a sled at elevation because of less power. Why do we gear a turbo sled up after installing a turbo more power.
The secondary squeezes harder the more it is open. The belt on the primary has maximum belt to sheave contact.
The wall most people hit is when the primary is too stiff and the weights cannot overcome the spring pressure. Most people clutch like this and it's just retarded. It's ok to use overdrive. The world is not flat. You won't die using od.
Id say if the belt is slipping, somethings up in the clutches.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
if using pro ride gears to gear down, is the same quick drive belt used, or the pro ride belt needed?
thanks

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I'm still not convinced a gear down is the way to go. I rode several days last year with an 163 850, I'm on a 163 800. His stocker ran very similar to my 800, he improved a ton by going with Carls helix and EPI weights and probably had an honest 2 MPH on my 800 in a long climb (powder or hardpack). Near the end of last season he geared down (not sure how much) I then had 2 or 3 MPH on him in all conditions, his 850 suddenly performed like a well tuned 600. Since there is negligible clutching efficiency gain climbing in 2:1 versus 1:1 I don't know why you would want to limit yourself to 50 MPH down the trail. I'd like to see Keith Curtis (stock 155 gears) run a drag race up a long steep slope beside a sled geared at 3.56:1. I don't believe it would even look like a race, I pretty sure the low geared rider wouldn't have much beer to drink, I like beer.

Premium Features