• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

$50 oil, so where is the cheap gas

G
Dec 17, 2002
North Bend, Washington
Oil Options at $50 Soar After OPEC Cut Fails to Support Prices

By Alexander Kwiatkowski

Oct. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Oil options contracts to sell crude at $50 by December almost tripled today after an OPEC decision to slash production failed to allay concerns that the global economic slump is hurting demand.

The cost of the $50 December 2008 put option, which gives the holder the right to sell oil futures at $50 a barrel, rose as much as 142 percent to $1.50 on the New York Mercantile Exchange, compared with 62 cents yesterday, according to exchange data.

``It certainly seems to me that we could get down to $50 a barrel,'' Adam Sieminski, Deutsche Bank's chief energy economist, said in a Bloomberg Radio interview today. ``You could look at the OPEC cut as a sign of weakness, not strength.''

The cost of the option jumped on speculation that an output cut announced today by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, which supplies about 40 percent of the world's oil, won't be enough to stem plunging prices.

OPEC decided at its Vienna headquarters today to lower the production quota for 11 of its members by 1.5 million barrels a day, to 27.308 million barrels a day, starting from Nov. 1.

Crude oil futures for December delivery dropped as much as $5.19, or 7.7 percent, to $62.65 a barrel in electronic trading on Nymex, and traded at $64.51 a barrel at 9:59 a.m. local time.

The price of crude has tumbled 56 percent since rising to a record $147.27 a barrel in New York on July 11.

Speculators can profit from the rising value of put options by selling the options themselves back into the market. Alternatively, if crude futures fall below the $50-a-barrel ``strike'' price, holders of the put options can exercise their right to sell futures at $50, and then buy the futures back for less in the market, making a profit.

The Nymex options contracts are for 1,000 barrels each, as are the underlying futures contracts. On Oct. 3, the $50 December put option was valued at 1 cent a barrel, or $10 for the 1,000-barrel lot.

To contact the reporter on this story: Alexander Kwiatkowski in London at akwiatkowsk2@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: October 24, 2008 10:18 EDT

D

Diesel99

Nov 27, 2007
Maple Ridge, BC
Gartman was on the tube tonight and said $30 oil very soon, he has been right on the money as far as commodities are concerned. Canada can kiss that dollar goodbye if this happens, back to .65 for you.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Snoqualmie, WA
BS. They went up as fast as they could as prices were going up.

Yes they did, but the gas stations weren't the ones making a killing on the high gas prices. Most only make a few cents per gallon no matter what the price is. So when prices are high and sales go down they make less money. When the prices come down they make up for the loss by slowing the price reduction a little. Around here the prices are coming down as fast or faster than they went up.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Pump prices are already being affected but they have to clear out the higher cost gas first and as the gas that is bought cheaper flows in we'll see it more at the pump. Not to mention there is still speculation that opec will further cut production so it will affect the immediate price at the pumps based on this speculation. But the prices continue to fall. It's just hitting this area with a decrease of $2.75 to $2.45 where I fill up in the last 2 or 3 days.

Last edited:
H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
My job scope gives the chance to see the bigger picture as I work at several oil and gas facilities…gas gathering, well heads, platforms, refineries, liquid plants, LNG…. you name it.

The real problem is based on one issue:

-Population is growing, but we wont build more refineries or expand the current refineries…and anyone who blames the greenies is an idiot, the politicians have big money in this market and will gain to lose money with more refineries and more supply, you think all these folks are greenies, get a clue

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Flying J huh??

H20SKE...

you must be a trucker, ......BP, Conoco Phillips, Chevron, Exxon, Marathon are the big boys in big oil

Side note - BP does not stand for Beyond Petroleum…its British Petroleum, this is not Britain nor do we have a queen on our currency….Fack BP!!!! I do support Conoco Phillips as they treat the work force with complete respect….this is a lost thought in corporations today.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
you must be a trucker, ......BP, Conoco Phillips, Chevron, Exxon, Marathon are the big boys in big oil

Side note - BP does not stand for Beyond Petroleum…its British Petroleum, this is not Britain nor do we have a queen on our currency….Fack BP!!!! I do support Conoco Phillips as they treat the work force with complete respect….this is a lost thought in corporations today.

I agree with that. Working for a contractor for ConocoPhillips myself...they treat us VERY well...

Gas prices are based on an overly complex equasion of supply and demand...and that can vary widely according to your location. Why Alaska is still paying 3.50 a gallon while most of the states is almost a dollar below that???....who knows....theres no laws up here to regulate how fast the gas prices rise and fall with the cost of oil...lately it has been lagging WAY behind the cost of oil as its price falls....and im sure gas stations are making money hand over fist. At least its coming down....my problem is it rises just as fast up here as everwyere else though so we probibly wont see as long of a break you state siders will when the oil prices do decide to shoot back up.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Gas prices go up for any reason they can think of. They think the price is going to go up, they think a hurrican is going to do this, this might happen, etc..
Oil prices have to be down for quite awhile before gas prices start to slowly come down.
Their are no facts for the reason they charge what they do. Just greed. Look up dubai on youtube and you will see where all of our money is going.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dubai+&search_type=&aq=f

B
Nov 28, 2007
Just filled up the tank @ 2.29 gal. Looks like it's going down around here.

It just takes some time as retailers are not too anxious to blow out the gas that they just filled thier underground tanks with 2.79 gas. I cannot blame them for that , they are after all consumers themselves.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Because they are futures...meaning that the barrel price you see today won't take affect in the stations until 4-8 weeks from now. We do have refinery limitations at times, but that is not the case now...we are only at about 80% capacity last I read. Demand has plummeted in the last year plus.

My guess is that around Christmas time we'll be seeing gas in the high 1s and low 2s...that's all gas is really worth and you can't support a false value for too long. Just like the housing market and dot-com crash, this collapse was even faster...when you over-value something its simply a matter of time before everything catches up and things even out. I look at it like physics...the pendulum eventually stops swinging, or at least counters it's own motions. Rumor is that the true value of light sweet crude is in the 60-70 dollar/barrell range...I'd expect gas to level off at around the low 2s in cost for a good amount of time.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Because they are futures...meaning that the barrel price you see today won't take affect in the stations until 4-8 weeks from now.

Just like the housing market crash, this collapse was even faster...when you over-value something its simply a matter of time before everything catches up and things even out.

So why is it taking hours instead of 8 weeks to correct on the upswing??

The U.S. housing market crash was caused by sub prime lending deals that caused massive foreclosures. The reason the value of homes decreased, is because of the influx of homes for sale from people who could not afford their mortgage, thus flooding the market drastically and forcing the prices down. Eventually a lot of people realized they had a better outcome to just walk away from their mortgages then to sell..

Premium Features