• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3' Track to soft?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Ski-Doo only made one durometer track, so yes they are the same 154 or 165, of course most of this stuff comes from guys who have just bent them over at a spring show, or have not spent much time on the new sled, a shorter straw will appear stiffer to a long straw, even when they were cut from the same straw piece. The track is better in every way then the xm track on snow riding it. we will be doing more testing on the ice cap in june and july so if anything comes up I will post it. Have a great summer, cheers dave

Whistler (2000m) is forecasting a foot of snow this weekend. It's not over yet. Let's ride!!!

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Does it seem odd that many who have ridden the prototypes have said it wheelies? Some may say it's the power, some may say it's the setup. I think the track design is really contributing to this. I wish doo would have offered two options, powder lite and the t3 track in 3.5" pitch. Hope I am wrong about the powder lite but history of the numerous track designs before it would lead me to believe otherwise.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Whistler (2000m) is forecasting a foot of snow this weekend. It's not over yet. Let's ride!!!

Sorry going dirt biking in the sun, if a bit of precip comes saturday freezing level will be at 2200 meters, top of the mountain. I will be flying in some sleds to a much higher elevation later in the summer...but for now its mountain bike, trials, dirt biking and paddling and kiting until next pow day in November! Have a great summer!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Does it seem odd that many who have ridden the prototypes have said it wheelies? Some may say it's the power, some may say it's the setup. I think the track design is really contributing to this. I wish doo would have offered two options, powder lite and the t3 track in 3.5" pitch. Hope I am wrong about the powder lite but history of the numerous track designs before it would lead me to believe otherwise.

The only thing the track has to do with the wheeling is hook up. I answered this question in a pm. Unfortunately there are a lot of guys who are making statements on the forums who can't or don't intend to buy a ski-doo, they also speak with their ego, so guys think they know a lot about the sled by just looking at it or just spending 20-40 minutes on the sled on a demo. I will just ask anyone who bought a new sled of any brand, were you riding that machine better a week after riding it over riding it in the first hour of ownership, the answer is a resounding YES! Many people want you to know they are a wicked rider so they will lead with, hey this track or specific part is no good, but they really have not spent any real amount of time. I have spent over 2000km on the g4 154 and 165, more on the 165 since it is the sled I prefer. The track on the G4 is better in every way and snow condition I have ridden in as I have been riding the G4 at specific times all winter...in early season, deep deep pow and spring boiler plate and spring shmoo....
The people who have snow checked will be very happy. For those who did not, you will of course still enjoy the wicked t3 or xm sleds or what ever other brand you ride. If you did purchase a G4 then ride it before doing any changes and you will see that the biggest thing you have to do these days is stop doing what you did in the past to a machine just because you did it in the past. The T3 and the G4 are two machines you really only need to add gas and oil to and go ride and have fun.

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
It may be better than the old 3' lug design. Packing more snow insted of crushing it with to many lugs. After testing the G4 vs T3 both 3' in the conditions we have now ( spring snow/ hard pack and trail) the old track easily outperform the new G4 track. G4 track is to soft. Maybe the 2.5 ' is stiffer but this is not an option up here in Scandinavia for some reason! And we have mostly hard pack snow all winter.

We all feel that we need to change the track for something stiffer. This track is not for anything other than deep powder. This is the fact. When riding G4 vs T3 at the same time there is no excuse.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Let's be specific about the Summit G4 3 inch track ... #1 it's a deep powder track designed to work in bottomless snow where it works at it's optimum .... The Summit G4 track works "well enough" in every other type of snow condition except for ice ... Is any 3 inch track optimum for hard pack snow ? No IMO.

#2 Now ask yourself what conditions you intend to be riding in most of the time. If your answer is not deep powder more the than 50% of the time maybe a 3 inch lug is not for you.

#3 Don't blame the track lug size ... blame yourself for not selecting the optimum track size for the riding you do most of the time.

If your car tires have highway tread all the way around how well do those tires work in the mud, snow and sand ?

DPG

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Excellent riding but Fack is that sled gonna be a tail standing trenching machine in pow.
It seems to utilize a whole 10.5" of the rear of track when under power. Argue with video, not me. It's plain and obvious for all to see. Even doorona is not that blind to see the issues.
You can't even blame Brp for the rear suspension as they have to design for the masses and not the 1% mountain rider segment. That being said, any serious mtn rider will change the rear suspension anyway and then the sled will be something. Might wanna look at the secondary as well.

Last edited:
R
Oct 10, 2014
Thing looks good to me!!!!!!!!! Im assuming that's a 165 in the video? Spring snow Im guessing any sled is going to have issues with front end in the air. I like! Have a 165 ordered and cant friggen wait!

VittMaxx

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2014
Excellent riding but Fack is that sled gonna be a tail standing trenching machine in pow.
It seems to utilize a whole 10.5" of the rear of track when under power. Argue with video, not me. It's plain and obvious for all to see. Even doorona is not that blind to see the issues.
You can't even blame Brp for the rear suspension as they have to design for the masses and not the 1% mountain rider segment. That being said, any serious mtn rider will change the rear suspension anyway and then the sled will be something. Might wanna look at the secondary as well.
Please, be honest with yourself .... the rider on the vid WANTED the sled to go wheels up and actually TOOK all measures to point the nose to the sky.... Can't you see that?

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
I see now that the soft durometer rumors have been nullified with video proof, we've begun to whine about a totally different part of an otherwise junk sled that hasn't even seen a true production run yet. Seriously people, get an effin hobby.

Isnt all of our hobbies, sledding? What else are we gonna do all summer? Lol

Premium Features