• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Boost Flash

Flash my 22 Boost with the 23 update?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Put the sled on four shipping scales. Make adjustments from there. Lots of ways to lighten ski pressure, but you need to do it objectively or you can chase your tail.

To me, any boosted sled is (always) more work than a non boosted sled. This isn't just due to the bottom end being a bit mushier, but also do to the additional gyro effect of the turbo/weight of the system. That said, boosted sleds are also more capable at higher elevation. A lot of this will end up being personal preference, where you ride, how fit you are, and even how much you weigh. I'm 205 sans gear. If I could, I'd have both a 9R and the Boost. I dig em both.

Side point nobody is talking about...if you are wheeling everywhere you are going on any sled, you aren't putting traction to going UP the hill but instead lifting the skis. While I am a big fan of a little ski lift to get over obstacles, excessive ski lift is a much bigger HP detractor than any clutching/motor package. Though gimmicky, I do wish Polaris had a few solutions for us to quickly shorten the limiter (of a Khaos) 1/2"-1" (three positions?) and a way to stiffen/soften the rear end (spring rate, not just compression).

This would be the real solution to Chadly's Boat Anchor problem while still keeping the sled capable when things get nasty (few toolless adjustments)

You’re wasting your time Jeff. Chilly’s been told repeatedly. He refuses to acknowledge there are solutions. Maybe he doesn’t understand the function of inputs to outputs? Instead he chooses to ignore the science unless he confirms said science with a Guide. Like the recent shift in support of spinning the 9r higher. He Confirmed with Caleb.
The Boat Anchor has been trademarked by our resident forum expert and doubling down for the attention is the pay off.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You’re wasting your time Jeff. Chilly’s been told repeatedly. He refuses to acknowledge there are solutions. Maybe he doesn’t understand the function of inputs to outputs? Instead he chooses to ignore the science unless he confirms said science with a Guide. Like the recent shift in support of spinning the 9r higher. He Confirmed with Caleb.
The Boat Anchor has been trademarked by our resident forum expert and doubling down for the attention is the pay off.
Rusty for you being the forum know it all you should know that clutching works in a pendulum. You have to rob Peter to pay Paul. Anyone who says you can clutch it to "fix it" means you steal performance from somewhere else. Until someone has the sack to meet up and ride with me to show me otherwise, your opinions mean nothing to me ? All you got out of the original post was the "boat anchor" because you are somehow infatuated with that. Go back and read the original post from start to finish and tell me I did not hit the nail right on the head for the Boost. And if you still can't comprehend the post, I will summarize for you. A lot of AVERAGE riders are going to think the Boost is the greatest thing ever. And that is why we have so many forumners thinking I'm crazy and the Boost isn't a boat anchor. Go be average, racing up a little hill, high fiving your buddies, and drinking Coors Light with your Boosts.

E
Sep 12, 2008
N 45°31', W 94°14'
It is hard to compare lag of the Boost to the G5 turbo. The Boost is a short stroke 840 cc design and the G5 is a long stroke 850 design. These motors have different characteristics due to stroke. Doo is slow revving torque monter, exactly what is required to hide turbo lag. The 9R will be much better suited to boost as it has masive torque too.
Not sure where you get this information, looking at specs l see the same stroke on both 850 and 900

Bore and stroke 87.95 x 74 on 9r. Bore and stroke 85 mm x 74 on 850 Boost. Bore and stroke 850 Rotax is 82 x 80.4mm

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
1. I take in info all the time. Take what i want and weed out the rest. Thats what you do in life unless your gullible.
2. You don't know how i ride. Keith could ride anything and make it look good but i thought this conversation was with you not keith.

3. We disagree. Get over it. I'll leave it at that.
Hey do whatever you want.

What I find really interesting (funny) on SW are the number of people who post (and post, and post) without showing anything remotely objective to backup what they are saying proving out IRL. While a video may leave something to be desired, its at least *something*. Maybe you play around in meadows and mellow trees all day and a long. Hence a limiter/soft skid setup is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe you are 140 pounds and ride so far forward you can manage this kind of setup in steeper terrain better than most.

Point is, its hard to know what is worth applying to your own heuristic if you can't actually parse how someone uses the "thing" we are discussing in the wild.

I'm happy to show where I ride, how I ride, what I think is fun etc. I also look up to buddies of mine (like Keith) who have done this a lot longer, are a lot better, and clearly able to do things with a sled most cannot do. Doesn't mean they are always right, but its probably a data point to consider. Merit based opinion is generally a good thing to have a gauge on in life.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

What I find really interesting (funny) on SW are the number of people who post (and post, and post) without showing anything remotely objective to backup what they are saying proving out IRL. While a video may leave something to be desired, its at least *something*. Maybe you play around in meadows and mellow trees all day and a long. Hence a limiter/soft skid setup is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe you are 140 pounds and ride so far forward you can manage this kind of setup in steeper terrain better than most.

Point is, its hard to know what is worth applying to your own heuristic if you can't actually parse how someone uses the "thing" we are discussing in the wild.

I'm happy to show where I ride, how I ride, what I think is fun etc. I also look up to buddies of mine (like Keith) who have done this a lot longer, are a lot better, and clearly able to do things with a sled most cannot do. Doesn't mean they are always right, but its probably a data point to consider. Merit based opinion is generally a good thing to have a gauge on in life.

Trying to figure out if your mad because I'm not taking your advise or because i don't worship keith curtis or what. I know who you are and have seen your videos. You are newer to the sport and trrying to make a living in it. That is why you pipe up keiths name. I get it. I don't have anything to prove. Friends of mine were jackson hole winners. Rob kincaid was a friend of mine since you live in victor. Worked in victor years ago.People i learned from used to race cross country against kirk and rex Hibbert. The fact is, i dont like shorter limiter straps. Makes ill or heavy handling sled. Keith does it and thats fine. He is a better rider and 20 years younger. He is also a hill climber. Betting his setup and calebs setup are different. Only reason i bring this up is there is more than one way to skin a cat. The matryx is packaged more to the front and with shock adjustments is easily manageable in a kaos.Im not here to make you mad. I know you were just trying to help.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Who in the Eff is this Jeff Brines guy think he is?? ? The only thing I can find on him is that he was being a dumb ass and started a big avalanche that affected a buttload of people. Bro you should pay an HR firm to get that taken down from Google ? I think we should give you the title of "Forum Dumby" What do you think Jeffery???

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Rusty for you being the forum know it all you should know that clutching works in a pendulum. You have to rob Peter to pay Paul. Anyone who says you can clutch it to "fix it" means you steal performance from somewhere else. Until someone has the sack to meet up and ride with me to show me otherwise, your opinions mean nothing to me ? All you got out of the original post was the "boat anchor" because you are somehow infatuated with that. Go back and read the original post from start to finish and tell me I did not hit the nail right on the head for the Boost. And if you still can't comprehend the post, I will summarize for you. A lot of AVERAGE riders are going to think the Boost is the greatest thing ever. And that is why we have so many forumners thinking I'm crazy and the Boost isn't a boat anchor. Go be average, racing up a little hill, high fiving your buddies, and drinking Coors Light with your Boosts.

Comprehension skills? Pot meet kettle.

We weren’t referring to clutching. Jeff was talking about suspension adjustments and limiter adjustments. Your emotion got you again. Go read again. The clutching example wasn’t related. ?

It’s no wonder you think it’s a boat anchor.

Furthermore, your lack of understanding the differences in set up between a 155 and a 165 is painfully obvious. Especially in garbage Washington snow conditions.

You’re in my thoughts and prayers Chilly.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Comprehension skills? Pot meet kettle.

We weren’t referring to clutching. Jeff was talking about suspension adjustments and limiter adjustments. Your emotion got you again. Go read again. The clutching example wasn’t related. ?

It’s no wonder you think it’s a boat anchor.

Furthermore, your lack of understanding the differences in set up between a 155 and a 165 is painfully obvious. Especially in garbage Washington snow conditions.

You’re in my thoughts and prayers Chilly.
Suspension doesn't effect it being a boat anchor. You can't tune the Suspension to get rid of lag and the fact the sled is massively tip heavy. Bring you perfectly tuned machine out so I can show you set up hardly matters.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Suspension doesn't effect it being a boat anchor. You can't tune the Suspension to get rid of lag and the fact the sled is massively tip heavy. Bring you perfectly tuned machine out so I can show you set up hardly matters.
Have you been closet drinking coors light again

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
I find it entertaining to hear people talk about the weight of the turbo sled making the rider become more fatigued. It’s not the weight! It’s the power delivery.
Less power/smooth power delivery motors are easier and less fatiguing to ride. Period. It’s not 26lbs that causes it. Nobody puts a lighter muffler on and a helium hood and immediately says “oh I don’t feel like I get fatigued as easily riding”. Lmao.
Ride a 250 & 450 MX bike. Weight is almost the same. Why do you get more arm pump??

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I find it entertaining to hear people talk about the weight of the turbo sled making the rider become more fatigued. It’s not the weight! It’s the power delivery.
Less power/smooth power delivery motors are easier and less fatiguing to ride. Period. It’s not 26lbs that causes it. Nobody puts a lighter muffler on and a helium hood and immediately says “oh I don’t feel like I get fatigued as easily riding”. Lmao.
Ride a 250 & 450 MX bike. Weight is almost the same. Why do you get more arm pump??
It's both but there is more to the equation. Suspension set up is huge. More planted and you use more energy. If setup too rarey, and your out of control, could use as much or more energy. Powder is effortless and hard snow goes the other way. Then there is letting the sled do the work like turning to right to let sled roll left instead of horsing on it. There is also a reason a lot of people ride a na better than a turbo. I could go on.
Turbos are heavier and 22 pro boost is really planted in stock form. My shredder is heavy on steep hills in stock form. Currently working on remedying that. You are right on some of that. Just not the whole equation.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Chadly
As we get back on topic. The 2023 mapping comes with the brake reflash. I had mine done last week and the throttle response is definitely better, I also gained 150 rpm on the top end. Previous to this flash my sled was pig rich on the bottom and was basically unrideable rich if the fuel selector was in the ethanol mode.
The reflash made my sled run noticeably cleaner. Don’t get me started on the programming done to the brake.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I have to laugh at all the experts on here. Suspension set up don't matter, that there has to be the dumbest statement ever. I have rode all the matrix models now. The 165 pro is very front heavy and rides very planted. If you want a 165" sled way better off with the khaos set up. The matrix khaos set up is not near as crazy as the axys was. The 155 pro handles nice if you do some adjustments. I have khaos 155 boost and luv the thing. You can take a lot of the wheelie out of it if you want or dial up a bunch with simple adjustments.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Chadly
As we get back on topic. The 2023 mapping comes with the brake reflash. I had mine done last week and the throttle response is definitely better, I also gained 150 rpm on the top end. Previous to this flash my sled was pig rich on the bottom and was basically unrideable rich if the fuel selector was in the ethanol mode.
The reflash made my sled run noticeably cleaner. Don’t get me started on the programming done to the brake.
I picked mine up yesterday, but still had to take the 9R out today. I'm waiting for 3' of fresh to break the Boost back out. However I am heading back to Seeley in a couple weeks to ride with Caleb again and I plan on taking it along with the 9R now that he has his boost as well. We are going to do a Boost day if the snow is semi deep. I just wish Rusty would come with us so he could come tune Caleb and I's stock clutching ?

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I picked mine up yesterday, but still had to take the 9R out today. I'm waiting for 3' of fresh to break the Boost back out. However I am heading back to Seeley in a couple weeks to ride with Caleb again and I plan on taking it along with the 9R now that he has his boost as well. We are going to do a Boost day if the snow is semi deep. I just wish Rusty would come with us so he could come tune Caleb and I's stock clutching ?

Is this an open invite? As long as you don’t criticize my stock silencer?

Premium Features