• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Boost Flash

Flash my 22 Boost with the 23 update?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Yup I agree. The gen4 turbo was good, but the gen5 turbo-r is a couple steps above that.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I don't know where you get your stats but Polaris says 26lb difference. That being said it's mostly all top weight too, which is the worst possible place you can add weight. Boost are

heavier and have lag. 2 worst things for technical riding.

532lbs I’ll weigh my 23 when I get a chance to compare . The sled is well balanced maybe you need to adjust your shocks. Hoping gear down and clutching will help with the the lag. The g5 r has instant response and destroys the boost for track speed

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

532lbs I’ll weigh my 23 when I get a chance to compare . The sled is well balanced maybe you need to adjust your shocks. Hoping gear down and clutching will help with the the lag. The g5 r has instant response and destroys the boost for track speed

I wasn't comparing it to a Doo. I rode those boat anchors for years. They are for old fat guys who want to crash into stuff and not have their sled fall apart.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

Oh no you didont…….

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I wasn't comparing it to a Doo. I rode those boat anchors for years. They are for old fat guys who want to crash into stuff and not have their sled fall apart.
Who’s comparing it too a doo ? You asked where I got the weight spec from there it is . Maybe you need to hit the gym alittle if you think the boost is a boat anchor lol .

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
I hope next year their 9R turbo is alot closer to the Doo. The Doo is the closest thing to no lag I have ever seen. I'd almost go as far as to say it has zero lag.
It won't be. Clutching, mapping etc is no substitute for the way the Ski-Doo turbo system works. Its just a better system with respect to bottom end response (no restriction point).

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Who’s comparing it too a doo ? You asked where I got the weight spec from there it is . Maybe you need to hit the gym alittle if you think the boost is a boat anchor lol .
When you ride like a Karen, you tend to not think the Boost is much heavier than a NA.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It is hard to compare lag of the Boost to the G5 turbo. The Boost is a short stroke 840 cc design and the G5 is a long stroke 850 design. These motors have different characteristics due to stroke. Doo is slow revving torque monter, exactly what is required to hide turbo lag. The 9R will be much better suited to boost as it has masive torque too.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
No longer allowed to use specs, figures or dynos.
Seat of pants, doo motor is a fair amount better. Haven't rode my buddy's 23 boost yet. Other buddy with boost likes my lynx motor way better. Hates my sled. Told me he had some duct tape if i wanted it.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No longer allowed to use specs, figures or dynos.
Seat of pants, doo motor is a fair amount better. Haven't rode my buddy's 23 boost yet. Other buddy with boost likes my lynx motor way better. Hates my sled. Told me he had some duct tape if i wanted it.
Lynx are utility sleds. I only buy one if i had to tow a trailer around. Way too heavy for technical riding. They are just selling because people want something they used to not be able to get. Junk!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Lynx are utility sleds. I only buy one if i had to tow a trailer around. Way too heavy for technical riding. They are just selling because people want something they used to not be able to get. Junk!
You are right. It packed my azz up the mountain. I do remember sweating like a pig, which wasn't in the brochure, but it was on a sidehill the 9r turned around on.
Just because they don't come in yellow doesn't mean they're junk

S
Mar 18, 2018
The pompous, egotistical, windbag Chadly speaks- we should all listen as he does know it all doesn’t he? Ross, Andreas, Jason would all ride circles around the one who keeps telling us how it is-

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Put the sled on four shipping scales. Make adjustments from there. Lots of ways to lighten ski pressure, but you need to do it objectively or you can chase your tail.

To me, any boosted sled is (always) more work than a non boosted sled. This isn't just due to the bottom end being a bit mushier, but also do to the additional gyro effect of the turbo/weight of the system. That said, boosted sleds are also more capable at higher elevation. A lot of this will end up being personal preference, where you ride, how fit you are, and even how much you weigh. I'm 205 sans gear. If I could, I'd have both a 9R and the Boost. I dig em both.

Side point nobody is talking about...if you are wheeling everywhere you are going on any sled, you aren't putting traction to going UP the hill but instead lifting the skis. While I am a big fan of a little ski lift to get over obstacles, excessive ski lift is a much bigger HP detractor than any clutching/motor package. Though gimmicky, I do wish Polaris had a few solutions for us to quickly shorten the limiter (of a Khaos) 1/2"-1" (three positions?) and a way to stiffen/soften the rear end (spring rate, not just compression).

This would be the real solution to Chadly's Boat Anchor problem while still keeping the sled capable when things get nasty (few toolless adjustments)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I agree with respect to the Pro. Totally disagree with respect to the Khaos (and so does KC711 ;) - heard that guy knows a thing or two about riding)

#shamelessnamedrop #callmechadly
I've heard he might know a thing or two also but i don't care what he runs. His is setup for him and what he does. Is it for hill climbing? For just screwing around? What you fail to mention is I'm sure he has multiple set ups.
I had a whole season on a 155 kaos boost and have the same in a 9r. They are no where near as rowdy as axys kaos 155. What's good for me doesn't mean it is good for you. Same with Keith's setup.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
I've heard he might know a thing or two also but i don't care what he runs. His is setup for him and what he does. Is it for hill climbing? For just screwing around? What you fail to mention is I'm sure he has multiple set ups.
I had a whole season on a 155 kaos boost and have the same in a 9r. They are no where near as rowdy as axys kaos 155. What's good for me doesn't mean it is good for you. Same with Keith's setup.

If you don't care then why even reply to me? You know everything and apparently have no ability to take in new information or data, so what's the point of even being here? Is it merely to bequeath us with all with your otherworldly knowledge of all things snowmobiles?

For fun, I'll reply.
1) Yes, I'm referring to Keith's BC setup with respect to the Khaos specifically. He shortens the limiter regardless of boost/no-boost. He probably can ride a touch better than you in the backcountry, so I'd probably take note of his settings.
2) I go to a stiffer rear spring too (he does sometimes). Makes a huge difference.

With this setup, I can still lift my skis when needed, do the silly bowtie hopover stuff and still get up the hill when needed (without just wheeling over backwards).

My boost in dead stock form would honestly get worked by a dead stock NA pro when it came to going up the hill quickly.

The pro with a slightly longer limiter (like just a touch) is a better package for most riders looking to actually ride. YMMV.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you don't care then why even reply to me? You know everything and apparently have no ability to take in new information or data, so what's the point of even being here? Is it merely to bequeath us with all with your otherworldly knowledge of all things snowmobiles?

For fun, I'll reply.
1) Yes, I'm referring to Keith's BC setup with respect to the Khaos specifically. He shortens the limiter regardless of boost/no-boost. He probably can ride a touch better than you in the backcountry, so I'd probably take note of his settings.
2) I go to a stiffer rear spring too (he does sometimes). Makes a huge difference.

With this setup, I can still lift my skis when needed, do the silly bowtie hopover stuff and still get up the hill when needed (without just wheeling over backwards).

My boost in dead stock form would honestly get worked by a dead stock NA pro when it came to going up the hill quickly.

The pro with a slightly longer limiter (like just a touch) is a better package for most riders looking to actually ride. YMMV.
1. I take in info all the time. Take what i want and weed out the rest. Thats what you do in life unless your gullible.
2. You don't know how i ride. Keith could ride anything and make it look good but i thought this conversation was with you not keith.

3. We disagree. Get over it. I'll leave it at that.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The pompous, egotistical, windbag Chadly speaks- we should all listen as he does know it all doesn’t he? Ross, Andreas, Jason would all ride circles around the one who keeps telling us how it is-
Ross is being paid to ride that thing. He was the only rider that had a "name" that didn't have a factory ride that they had a chance at. Now once you start talking Europeans, that's a whole nother conversation. I think people would be amazed at how controlled these factory riders are by what they can and can't say. Also what they can and can't post pictures of online.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Ross is being paid to ride that thing. He was the only rider that had a "name" that didn't have a factory ride that they had a chance at. Now once you start talking Europeans, that's a whole nother conversation. I think people would be amazed at how controlled these factory riders are by what they can and can't say. Also what they can and can't post pictures of online.

Duh

Premium Features