• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Marlon Xplore Pro II Sled Deck

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
NEW GM and NEW Marlon deck,

what is everyone doing with the driver side front leg where the fuel filler protrudes into the bed?

also, what wiring harness is needed to keep the truck happy?

i had a hell of a time getting the right one for my Ford. but once I did, it was great

thanks

Get the Plutco blade plug and play harness. It will bypass the trailering app, and no messing around with spliced wires. Doesn’t matter what deck is on a GM, that harness will be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
This cured all my problems. CURT 57004 LED-Compatible 7-Way RV Blade Vehicle-Side to 4-Way Flat Trailer-Side Trailer Wiring Adapter , Black https://a.co/d/edH0oS6

If I’m not mistaken, that doesn’t help the app and the deactivation of the rear park sensor’s because the trucks still thinks their is a trailer attached. I didn’t want to be messing around with the trailer app all the time and dealing with the loss of the parking sensors.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
It cured my “trailer not found” or trailer lights not working probs. But I’d be wary of trusting the back up sensors with a sled on top. I mashed the gutter above the garage backing in because the sled so high up and rearward from the sensors.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Lol. That’s kinda common sense with that overhang.

I don’t take my deck out of my truck every time I unload my sled it’s in my truck probably 8 mths of the year.

M
Mar 28, 2013
Houston B.C.

what is everyone doing with the driver side front leg where the fuel filler protrudes into the bed?

i had a hell of a time getting the right one for my Ford. but once I did, it was great

thanks
I moved the leg back a couple inches so it would clear the hook. Then you can push it over to centre the deck to the truck. It’s only the 6 bolts and a rubber hammer to tap it back. Then I used turnbuckles to the second hook. I also used a ratchet strap on both fronts on the bottom hooks for added security.

M
Mar 28, 2013
Houston B.C.

thanks
Also you don’t need the wire harness if you don’t need the backup light. Look back in this thread and you will see where I went through the same thing

M
Mar 28, 2013
Houston B.C.
Not everyone is willing to splice wires, a plug and play wire harness is a sure fire way to get Dec lighting without running a risk of voiding warranty.
That’s exactly what I wanted was a plug a play. My pickup backup lights are good enough. All I wanted was the marker lights and brake light to work. But using the 7-4 plug and changing the setting in the truck to box accessories instead of trailer I get zero faults. The turn signal works in the light bar, brakes, markers. Only thing missing is backup light in the light strip. I’m good with that. 2022 Denali 1 ton.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
That’s exactly what I wanted was a plug a play. My pickup backup lights are good enough. All I wanted was the marker lights and brake light to work. But using the 7-4 plug and changing the setting in the truck to box accessories instead of trailer I get zero faults. The turn signal works in the light bar, brakes, markers. Only thing missing is backup light in the light strip. I’m good with that. 2022 Denali 1 ton.

That harness will do everything you want. It has a dedicated wire for the reverse light, which I didn’t need for my deck.
Cheap too.

M
Mar 28, 2013
Houston B.C.
That harness will do everything you want. It has a dedicated wire for the reverse light, which I didn’t need for my deck.
Cheap too.
Ya but that dedicated wire is the white wire which you still have to wire a plug on. And then it’s running between your tailgate and box. If you used the plug and plug it into the inbox plug in then it only costs 10 bucks for the 7-4 plug and not 100 for the harness. I just found it to be a simpler option.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
on my last deck, which was on my Ford, i had to use the putco wiring harness. i put a weather lock quick connect on the white wire and simply plugged it into the putco wiring harness.

we are going to try and move the front leg(s) of the deck on my buddy's deck to clear the fuel fill punch out in the gm bed.
our other buddy just runs his deck back from the front of the bed a little bit, i don't like that idea.

my buddy is using a LED specific 7 round to 5 way flat plug at the back of the bed. there are no faults, but every time he starts the truck, the truck defaults the "trailer" to "guest trailer." we have tried to get it to choose "accessory" which the deck is linked to. any suggestions on how to get the truck to default to "accessory"?

i am using these 2 trucks and decks as guinea pigs to get them dialed before I pick up mine ?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Ya but that dedicated wire is the white wire which you still have to wire a plug on. And then it’s running between your tailgate and box. If you used the plug and plug it into the inbox plug in then it only costs 10 bucks for the 7-4 plug and not 100 for the harness. I just found it to be a simpler option.

I didn’t use the white wire., so I wired a dummy plug on the harness and sealed it, very simple, than I ran a two wire bildon into the inside of my bed from underneath the truck through the stake pocket for my deck for a clean look, with no wires visible. I have more options for power now without using the factory plug in. I have to put the factory bed handle back in during the summer so the plug is hid behind that.

I have a 7 to 4 adapter, I did not want to deal with the app recognizing my deck as a trailer everytime I started the truck, and having the rear park sensors shut off. It was a pain in the azz. 100 bucks for that plug and play harness gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Cheap and easy work for some, but not all.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
on my last deck, which was on my Ford, i had to use the putco wiring harness. i put a weather lock quick connect on the white wire and simply plugged it into the putco wiring harness.

we are going to try and move the front leg(s) of the deck on my buddy's deck to clear the fuel fill punch out in the gm bed.
our other buddy just runs his deck back from the front of the bed a little bit, i don't like that idea.

my buddy is using a LED specific 7 round to 5 way flat plug at the back of the bed. there are no faults, but every time he starts the truck, the truck defaults the "trailer" to "guest trailer." we have tried to get it to choose "accessory" which the deck is linked to. any suggestions on how to get the truck to default to "accessory"?

i am using these 2 trucks and decks as guinea pigs to get them dialed before I pick up mine

You won’t, you will have to get the ford plug and play harness from Plutco to bypass the trailer app.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
sounds like just getting the harness will make everything work the way it should and be less of a hassle

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I’m not sure what’s wrong with your trucks recognizing something it plugged into the trailer light circuit. Working as designed.

What was wrong with your truck that it needed a adapter to recognize LED? Mine didn’t.

Wait till you hook up to a trailer with a 7 pin and the app will not recognize the trailer brakes.
The app is more trouble than it worth.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
what does the correct harness look like?
does it have the 2 big plugs that go in between the bumper plug and truck harness, and then a short 4 way flat extension with 2 other wires (red, white)?
want to make sure I get the correct one.
for my ford, it took 3 attempts

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
I have a Marlon deck wired up to a 23 Ram 2500 and ordered the Putco adapter when I bought the deck because dealer said I needed it. I don't have the Putco adapter yet but I connected a 7-4 pin adapter from my deck to the 7-pin inside my bed. I did not hook up the white wire yet as I understand that this is for the reverse light, and the whole reason for the Putco adapter. Everything works except the reverse light. No trailer or wiring alarms inside the truck and all deck lights work properly, including the under deck and rack lights off the switch.

After reading the info here and looking at the Putco adapter online, it appears that it goes behind your bumper and you need to run your deck wiring between your bumper and tailgate. I don't like this option because I have a 7-pin inside the box and would rather sacrifice the backup light and leave it as is.

Does anyone know if the Putco adapter simply connects the white wire of the deck to the center pin on the 7-pin of your truck, which is reverse light power? Wondering if I can just cut the plugs on my deck and wire the appropriate right, left, running, and ground to a 7-pin plug and connect the 5th, reverse wire to the center pin of that 7-pin plug. That way I can use the plug inside my box, I don't need the Putco adapter, and I have backup lights.

Thanks

Premium Features