• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Pro 800 motor temps? Whats normal?

My buddy has a new 2011 RMK Pro 800 and I have a 2010 RMK 800. His temps were 15-30 degree higher than mine this weekend and they rise much faster. He actually hit 170 degrees once! My highest was 145 on the same packed road. In powder he was running 122 and I was running 118 degrees. Outdoor temps were in the teens. I have the SLP vents installed on mine, his is stock.

What are normal temps for a 2011 Pro 800 and what is too hot?

My buddy has a new 2011 RMK Pro 800 and I have a 2010 RMK 800. His temps were 15-30 degree higher than mine this weekend and they rise much faster. He actually hit 170 degrees once! My highest was 145 on the same packed road. In powder he was running 122 and I was running 118 degrees. Outdoor temps were in the teens. I have the SLP vents installed on mine, his is stock.

I took mine out on its maiden trip yesterday..20 mile rough trail/road ride into the hills...mine ran 123 with a high of 131 on the road with scratchers down..in the pow..120 mines bone stock...if you travel too slow the scratchers dont throw enough snow..so i try to stay over 20 mph...

Im pretty sure the Pro's don't have a front cooler like the 08-10 D8's the 163 D8 didn't have a front cooler either, thats how the 155 dragon and 163 weighed the same but even the 155 pro's dont' have the front cooler. another reason to use scratchers religiously IMO. But my buddies new assault is the same weigh he ran much warmer that my dragon was same conditions. in the pow it shouldn't be a problem but the guy who doesn't pay attention and runs it hotter than crap on a packed road with no scratchers is gonna be asking for it.

I have 220 miles on my Pro and when the snow is loose (4-6" of soft snow) it runs 123 religiously. As stated above, you need to pay attention when riding on the hardpack or low snow conditions and get the scratchers down as the temperature rises in a hurry.

I went out the last two days riding my new 800 Pro along with my friend and his new 800 Pro. We both experienced rapidly changing coolant temeratures that were much higher than what I normally see. We were riding in mostly powder and we both saw temperatures from a low of 123 to a high of 158.

We both experienced about the same temperatures at the same time.

There was also an 09 Dragon 800 riding with us that stayed at a constant 122.

I spoke to the dealer and they told me that they don't have a lot of experience with these new sleds yet but they did think that the thermostat is set at 140. I had them look up when the temp light comes on and the found that it doesen't come on until 185 (WOT) and over 200 at idle.

We were both very concerned about it until we spoke to the dealer, however, now I'm not to worried about the higher temps.

My break-in ride saw temps of 123 - 140 over 40 or so miles. Outside temps were around 15 degrees with no scratchers down. Riding at 8000 - 10000 feet. Completely stock following Polaris recommendations for pre-mix.

I love this thing. :heart:

I'm not sure what the temps are supposed to be running, but how can a temp of 145* hurt anything. If my truck ran at that temp, it would be so carboned up and the oil would be sludge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but how come everyone wants to run them so cool? It makes sense to me that higher temps (not overheating) would mean more efficient combustion. Where are them engineers when you need them Ha Ha

Temp

Had the same problem so we had Allsport Polaris look it up and the temp for the new pro`s run like this. Temp light at open throttle 185 Temp light at Idle 215.My buddy and I have been running at 125-150 pending snow type hope this helps ease your mind it did ours.

the thermostat in the pro's are 125 degrees, same as the previous years dragons. i don't like them to run even this hot. the only reason the temps are this high is for emission purposes. the high temps are also more likely to cause more detonation. they likely would produce more power with lower temps. i'll be running my temps closer to 100 degrees.

pv

My intention is to run water wetter and 60/40 H2O/glycol but concerned about running too cool if the ECM retards timing "under" a certain temp range like on the XP's. Anyone know if that's a realistic concern for the Pros?

Cheers,

G

Last edited:
mine runs 125-130 in the pow, hit the parking lot and was up to 160 in about 20 yards. glad to hear 185 is the lowest hot point, will be shutting mine down if it hits that, i figure better safe than sorry...

EPA stage 3 motor LEANER?

From reading the above posts, the 2011 Pro does not have a front cooler, is that correct? It is also a stage 3 EPA motor which runs leaner for emissions, is that correct? The 2 combined at midrange throttle on hardpack raises the temps faster, is that correct?

1. Would vents help to get the under hood heat out better?

2. Would race fuel help?

3. Would a Power Commander 5 help?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is it really that much of an inconvenience to get off your sled and drop the scratchers on the road?? Mine runs 111-123 on the road, getting to the goods.

Premium Features

Back