• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Pro 800 motor temps? Whats normal?

Sounds like I am gonna have to pull the 140 thermostat and put a 120 in..

I'm thinkin' that you have a 120 stat, like all the 2 storke Poo's have had for a few years. You can check it if you want though. You can make your sled run warm by not spinning the track when going slower than 20mph. A couple of throttle blips gets things back to normal on my buggies in this condition. The hang tag on the bars says to use scratchers when in less than 3" of loose snow...

Scratchers Vs Accesory wheel kits

Hey guys,

I am a rookie to this mountain riding thing but after one trip out west last year im hooked. I purchased a new Pro RMK 155 this year. Wondering what your thoughts are as far as keeping the scratchers on or putting the accessory wheel kits on the rails right away. Dont know what the right answer is but looking for some guidence. I have not had her out for its breakin ride yet and donot know what this thing will run for engine temp yet, but i dont want to screw it up. Let me know

My old 900 ran HOT when not in enough snow after i removed the front radiator. Its true that the light wont come on until 185 with the throttle open (had it happen multiple times even with scratchers). Highest temp i ever got was 223* shut her down. I wouldnt be worried about runnin up to 150. Im pretty sure the magic power number on the 9s was around 140. just my .02

have 2 rides on my pro 140 miles temp problems are when you leave the packed trail and climb to alpine scrachers dont work there nice snow but if your following another machine on his track you have a heat problem soon as you hit alpine things are okay have to stay tuned to temp for sure I also have a 900 that i had to fix that problem myself so dont expect polaris to fix our problem stay tuned to temp till you hit the good snow and enjoy fun sled to ride i love it

I'm sorry but I just do not understand how running a sled at anything over 130 degrees can really be a problem. Its coolant. Have any of you ever ridden a street bike when its warm outside? I think you guys are worrying about nothing. Just ride the sled and have fun.

If the heat light comes on its too hot. Its that easy.

I'm sorry but I just do not understand how running a sled at anything over 130 degrees can really be a problem. Its coolant. Have any of you ever ridden a street bike when its warm outside? I think you guys are worrying about nothing. Just ride the sled and have fun.

If the heat light comes on its too hot. Its that easy.

That's right. Heck, my piss is 98.6*, not too far from 120*. I can't believe you guys are worried about 140*. It may be warmer than the Dragon, but it's still a far cry from 180*/215*.

^x2. Put tape over the gauge. then you don't see it. Thats what road racers do with the speedometer on their bikes.

it would be nice if someone made a good big u-cooler to the pro rmk ... I had bought one if the price was right ... would have been nice not having to bother with the temperature in spring :face-icon-small-hap

Got mine broke in over the weekend. The only time I saw temps over 130 was when we were picking our way through the rocks in a whiteout to get to more trees, the warmest was 150, but we were going slow. The second day was blue bird and at our normal speed all day it never got over 130, the scratchers go down as soon as we leave the trailer and stay down. No worries about heat from me.

it would be nice if someone made a good big u-cooler to the pro rmk ... I had bought one if the price was right ... would have been nice not having to bother with the temperature in spring :face-icon-small-hap

Fastrax makes an add on cooler.

If it didn't have a gauge nobody would be worried about it.

So true....I have no idea what my past 2 sleds ever ran at....not even a stab in the dark. Never had a temp light come on, so I'm guessing they ran at a lower temp than the manufacturer deemed unsuitable.

One thing that will probably freak people out is that the Pro temps climb fast. I follow the same general rule as a lot of people have stated. Around 150 I put down the scratchers.

Another concern is if the motor is getting warm, then it's likely that snow is not getting kicked up into the skid/cooler. SO, it's time to be concerned about the hyfax melting. I have not even smelled mine burn yet. On my D8 it burned quick.

OMG you guys are crackin me up! :lol:

Mine runs 120-125 down the trail with the sratchers, once off then I run about 117. Perfect in my opinion.

Premium Features

Back