• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Pro 800 motor temps? Whats normal?

I hit a record 193 F on a rutted out climb onto Mt Bakers Peanet Knob, I was nervous about it starting to retard in the middle of the climb. Once I was atop I quickly dove into fresh pow and the temp fell to 120 range, guess I should have had my scratchers down but I don't think they would have done any good as the trail would only allow you to travel slow. I never seen any temps this hot on my 08 RMK, however my son's 05 rmk 600 has issues on the exact same climb last year except it went into the retard mode. There were two other Pro's on the hill that day and I wonder if they saw the same temp, or what they did different

Other than that issue these sleds are the dominate machine of this season, all others were getting stuck all the while the Pro ride seemed to go where others could not.

If it didn't have a gauge nobody would be worried about it.

Agreed. I saw temps up to 163 on Saturday when cruising around as my 3 year old son followed me on his Polaris 120. The temps seemed to rise pretty fast, but a quick blast across some fresh snow brought them back down below 120 very quickly. My wife was crusing around on our 2003 Vertical Escape and while I'm sure it was getting hot the temp light never came on and since it has no temp gauge I didn't think twice about it.

Boggie Wheels help Temps?

Will the finned boggie wheels help kick up snow in the tunnel? The engineers put fins on them for a reason and I assume it is to kick up snow. What do you guys think?

Thats normal man if u go from 6 or 8 inches of powder on the road to like 3 or 4 the temps will rise anywhere from 10-20 degrees mine does and mines stock, and i only got about 143 miles on it

Ice scratchers solved the issue, Climb back on top today with the scratchers down, never went over 127, Now I put them down on any trail that has any sort of elevation differents or groomed trail. One issue is when we have to ride dirt for a short time, scratchers won't help :face-icon-small-fro

Has anyone played around with drilling around the outside diameter with small multiple holes (say 3/16)? This would allow some additional flow at all times, while still allowing normal stat operation. I have no stat in my current sled (not pro), and simply wait until 100* before getting on it hard. In this current configuration, 6-8" fresh stays between 90-110*.

Scratchers

Unbelievable on a trail ride yesterday what a difference they made in temperature. About 30 degrees less with them down right around 123F.

i had a friend in a tough spot the other day and i had to go down 3-4 miles of trail to the truck and back. I was going as fast as i could and didnt stop to let it cool down. Temp was at 156 when i got back on the mountain. Not to bad. My old 900 rmk would be at 170 on the same trip going one way.

Both of my scratchers broke off at the tip two weeks ago, looked down and my temp was 220. 20 miles down an ice road to get back to the truck took me a couple of hours. Replaced the scratchers and been out twice since and all is well, still kicking arse and taking names. It just keeps running stronger each time I take it out.

That's right. Heck, my piss is 98.6*, not too far from 120*. I can't believe you guys are worried about 140*. It may be warmer than the Dragon, but it's still a far cry from 180*/215*.

SD, your so cool there is NO WAY your piss is 98.6....... :face-icon-small-win

Bag

mine runs at 52 most of the time.....ever heard of degree's C?

52C = 125F

Perfect

Not sure about on these new sleds, but on my 900, I accidentally knocked mine into metric a few weeks back... after a little playing around I determined that if you hold the mode button for a good 15 seconds, it changes from Metric to U.S. and vise-versa.

123-140 scratchers down on trails....hit 145 once but 99% at 120's

Ive had mine out twice ... mid 120s off trial, but anytime I am on hard pack for an extended time I will be putting the scratchers out to keep it cool and keep the hyfax lubed. The temp jumps up fast without the scratchers !!

Riding in 20-30 degree weather my Pro is consistently hot compared to what I am reading here, even with scratchers down on the trail. It cools off quick if you get into some powder. My light hasn't come on and I have been as high 201-203 degrees. Usually it runs between 123 and 165 degrees.

Premium Features

Back