• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your experience & opinion wanted: M1 900 Carburetor

R
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks for the jetting recommendation. All the other details for keeping this sled working well and safely are highly appreciated. This version has a real following.

EFI vs. Carburetors is a whole topic in itself, and I like EFI more as well ... but a carb'd model is what I own so ...

Please keep the maintenance, mods, and tech comments coming!

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I owned them both at the same time. a 04 mountaincat 900 EFI and a 04 king (carbed) the efi motor would run circles around the carbed motor. Not to mention the easy throttle pull of the efi throttle bodies. I LOVE EFI wont ever go back to a carb motor.

Not my experience and I have also owned both. I will admit the EFI is much easier on the thumb!! :)

But if I remember right, Rixster is one of those guys that says the SLP single is a waste of money and I swear by the SLP single!! ;)

B
Mar 20, 2013
I would get an 04 900 efi. red or green, 151 or 159, delta 3'z, cheap can, air box mod, hivo it, and ride and ride it. I have one that's still goin! Its supposed to be my backup but beins I have an 800 dragon its more my primary. My brother has one, my Dad has one, I have one, never had anything go sideways!

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
In 04 I bought a King cat (carb) and a mountain cat (EFI) both 900s. The EFI 900 would run circles around the Carb 900 All day long. Not to mention the throttle pull on a efi sled is so light vs. the carb sled, your thumb will thank you.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
I know its been mentioned, but I had two problems that got me into trouble in the back country a few times. I owned both efi and carbed 800 mountain cats. Both of those sleds were notorious for breaking chains and taking out the left side track bearing. I went with a wider sprocket and chain (13W to 15W if my memory serves me) and that solved the chain issue. I also put a new bearing on the left side track shaft at the beginning of each season. Some would say that's overkill, but at the very least make sure you watch your speedo closely. If it stops working...well you know I'm sure.

As far as the EFI vs carbs thing goes, I completely preferred my carbed motor over the efi one. The efi was definitely easier on the thumb, but the carbed sled just ran stronger and was a lot more snappy on the throttle.

M

mattwiles

Feb 24, 2009
columbia falls montana
Spyder explosion!

If u replace the stock rubber washers that keep your primary weights in line with the rollers with some plastic washers u won't have to worry about the weights cutting into the spyder and exploding! When mine went it threw my crank out and cracked both pistons at 500 miles. Stock clutch works fine if u catch it in time.

Premium Features