• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti seat height

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Thinking about a new yeti 129 freeride. Yeti site shows soft strut with two mounting holes. Is that the same as 2021 (two mounting holes) for the soft strut? If so anyone running in the hole that results in lowest seat height? Any seat height info on that setup would be appreciated. I'm wondering if I can get to a 36'' seat height with the 2022 yeti. thanks

M
Jan 14, 2004
From the ones I've ridden my guess would be no. You could maybe get 37 - 38 on a Yamaha. The 2021's I've ridden have all been on Huskys set as low as the soft strut will allow and I find them tall at 38-39 inches. I think I could get used to it but I do like a lower CG given the choice. I'm thinking pretty hard about snow checking a 2022 Yeti, I'm deciding between the Elka 3's or the 5's.

M5

P
Dec 4, 2018
I started the season with a 2021 Yeti on my Honda and finished it off with a 2021 Riot Velocity. The Riot was a full 1" lower at the seat with the TSS adjusted properly (Timbersleds recommended TSS length was not even close..... way too long). Lengthening and shortening the soft strut does very little to change seat height because of the geometry involved. It all pivots on the the swing arm bolt, which is directly under the seat. Also, the soft strut/TSS needs to be adjusted to position the bike to the kit properly for handling reasons. You can lower the front of the seat by messing with sliding the forks up in the tripple clamps, but make sure to readjust the soft strut to keep the orientation of the kit to the bike consistent. I tried this with my Yeti and it did make it easier to ride, but made the bike even harder to get the front up, which I believe is a drawback to the Yeti kit.

Keith

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
From the ones I've ridden my guess would be no. You could maybe get 37 - 38 on a Yamaha. The 2021's I've ridden have all been on Huskys set as low as the soft strut will allow and I find them tall at 38-39 inches. I think I could get used to it but I do like a lower CG given the choice. I'm thinking pretty hard about snow checking a 2022 Yeti, I'm deciding between the Elka 3's or the 5's.

M5
Thanks, thats what i am afraid of. I'm no spring chicken and getting my leg over a 39'' seat is a challange, yeti is probably out of contention at that height.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yeti seat height is taller and the only time its even noticeable is getting out of the parking lot, On the mountain in snow its not an issue and pegs ride higher up out of the snow.. The Low seat concepts drops ewe an inch as an options '

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yeti seat height is taller and the only time its even noticeable is getting out of the parking lot, On the mountain in snow its not an issue and pegs ride higher up out of the snow.. The Low seat concepts drops ewe an inch as an options '
Seat height is a pivital issue for me, I wouldn't be riding a snowbike if I couldn't get to a 37'' seat height. I've riden multiple different bike/kit combinations and seat height is definately an issue. In my experience the lower the better. Timbersled obviously recognized the value/demand for a short version. I guess I will look at the TS short versions.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you've ridden a low kit then the difference is absolutely noticeable and more so if you like to drag a foot on turns. Lower kits turn faster, they are easier in the trees, just all around easier. I would have snow checked a Riot 3S but not having the chance to ride one sealed the deal, if I cant ride it I wont buy it. I'm not a fan of the Aro 3 but it does side hill and climb I'll give it that. My buddy who tests for Yeti has destroyed virtually every part on that kit but last season the 2021 held up pretty well with the exception of a few parts which are still crap so I think they have the bugs mostly worked out. I notice the height when I ride it immediately, is it a deal breaker probably not for me but it will take some getting used to.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
If you've ridden a low kit then the difference is absolutely noticeable and more so if you like to drag a foot on turns. Lower kits turn faster, they are easier in the trees, just all around easier. I would have snow checked a Riot 3S but not having the chance to ride one sealed the deal, if I cant ride it I wont buy it. I'm not a fan of the Aro 3 but it does side hill and climb I'll give it that. My buddy who tests for Yeti has destroyed virtually every part on that kit but last season the 2021 held up pretty well with the exception of a few parts which are still crap so I think they have the bugs mostly worked out. I notice the height when I ride it immediately, is it a deal breaker probably not for me but it will take some getting used to.
Agreed. Yeah I've riden lower and taller, lower always better for me. My yami/mototrax is 35.75'' or 36'' (with additional preload) and is a hoot to ride. Never tip over, easy on, faster more contident in the trees. I can sometime get a foot down and facilitate an easier faster turn. no negatives that I have seen in 200 hrs. My current ktm/yeti is 37 - 37.5 and I can tell the difference that 1'' - 1 1/2'' makes and non of it is positive in my book.
just gotta figure a way to lower the yeti kit. Per yeti the soft strut has an 1 1/2'' adjustment. Not sure that is enough?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Seat height is a pivital issue for me, I wouldn't be riding a snowbike if I couldn't get to a 37'' seat height. I've riden multiple different bike/kit combinations and seat height is definately an issue. In my experience the lower the better. Timbersled obviously recognized the value/demand for a short version. I guess I will look at the TS short versions.

Just shorten it the timbersled way.

Get the shocks shortened tighten limiter and run an aro-S spindle.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Agreed. Yeah I've riden lower and taller, lower always better for me. My yami/mototrax is 35.75'' or 36'' (with additional preload) and is a hoot to ride. Never tip over, easy on, faster more contident in the trees. I can sometime get a foot down and facilitate an easier faster turn. no negatives that I have seen in 200 hrs. My current ktm/yeti is 37 - 37.5 and I can tell the difference that 1'' - 1 1/2'' makes and non of it is positive in my book.
just gotta figure a way to lower the yeti kit. Per yeti the soft strut has an 1 1/2'' adjustment. Not sure that is enough?
The older Yeti bike mounts will lower the entire bike about 1.5 inch but require a solid strut

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
The older Yeti bike mounts will lower the entire bike about 1.5 inch but require a solid strut
Interesting, solid strut alone won't do it? Will my current mount plates off my '16 yeti fit the 2022 yeti freeride. The 22 would be going on the same bike the 16 came off.

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Does anybody know the length of the s spindle. I’ve had a plan to lower my kit for quit a while

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Interesting, solid strut alone won't do it? Will my current mount plates off my '16 yeti fit the 2022 yeti freeride. The 22 would be going on the same bike the 16 came off.
some of the older bike mounts are lower however dont have the bushing to articulate which is required with the soft strut.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I have lowered a couple Yeti's by moving the front arm to the upper hole, sliding the forks up in the triple clamps, and then resetting the soft strut or solid strut length to get the proper rail tip up in the back. Handling is great and the seat height is lower by and inch for sure, maybe two.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I started this post and ended up with a 129 freeride yeti. I had gone to the top hole (front arm) on my 16 yeti kit and did the same with the 2022. top hole and soft strut adjusted so on compression exhaust just about hits. track is off floor in rear about 3/8". works and handles great.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
I started this post and ended up with a 129 freeride yeti. I had gone to the top hole (front arm) on my 16 yeti kit and did the same with the 2022. top hole and soft strut adjusted so on compression exhaust just about hits. track is off floor in rear about 3/8". works and handles great.
what is your seat height with this approach? thanks

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I will measure in next few days and get back here. I'm thinking it was 37.5 ish.

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
2016 YZ450F, soft strut in the top hole, stock height seat concepts comfort seat, right around 37.5" in the low spot measuring right behind the peg. I'm running about 3/8 rake in the track also like dooman92.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Lachoneus, finally got chance to measure seat height on new kit. 2022 500 ktm and 2022 yeti freeride. Again, top hole for front arm in tunnel and soft strut adjusted so only 1/2'' clearance (air box and exhaust) had to cut bottom of air box. if soft strut compresses 1/2" could make contact with kit on both. It has not made contact after 4 days of riding. I have a good amount of preload on both springs with the front arm spring stiffest. I could probably lower another 1/4'' if backed down both springs but, I like the current ski lift and handling characteristics. Seat height is 37 and 1/4''. I am tolerating it and thinking about other options to go lower.

B
Nov 29, 2018
2018 450sx with a yeti 137SS = 41" seat height with the rails flat and the forks in the most dropped position. This set up seems to work well in the powder which is thankfully where I get to ride. On slush and hard pack I could see having a lower riding cockpit.

CAAFFE6F-B2EC-4562-B1CA-C5107A2F2DEB.jpeg

Premium Features