• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowcheck Yeti or TS? Need advice

J
Mar 2, 2022
Michigan
Hello, I'm looking to build my 1st snowbike this year. Will only be riding in the Upper Peninula of Michigan. No mountains here. Mostly be riding flat land 2-4 foot powder. Occasional trail or packed snow when needed. I'm buying a '22 CRF 450rs this month. The bike will never see the dirt, strictly snow.

I've been riding dirtbikes and snowmobiles for 20 years or so. Want a good dirtbike feel when riding. My question is would a 120 Yeti or TS be good for my area and riding conditions? Or should I get a 129? I've checked out both Yeti and TS new 2023 kits that they just announced. I really like the Yeti 120 or 129 free ride. I also like the 3" lower seat height of some of the TS Riots. Wish Yeti offered lower seat height. Need to narrow it down and pull the trigger.... any help or advice ya'll have is greatly appreciated!

K
Sep 21, 2016
Go with the short track easier to throw around. Look into the cmx 120. It will be playful like a dirt bike and great in lower snow conditions. I have a 129 free ride also and only use it when it’s super deep bottomless snow

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hello, I'm looking to build my 1st snowbike this year. Will only be riding in the Upper Peninula of Michigan. No mountains here. Mostly be riding flat land 2-4 foot powder. Occasional trail or packed snow when needed. I'm buying a '22 CRF 450rs this month. The bike will never see the dirt, strictly snow.

I've been riding dirtbikes and snowmobiles for 20 years or so. Want a good dirtbike feel when riding. My question is would a 120 Yeti or TS be good for my area and riding conditions? Or should I get a 129? I've checked out both Yeti and TS new 2023 kits that they just announced. I really like the Yeti 120 or 129 free ride. I also like the 3" lower seat height of some of the TS Riots. Wish Yeti offered lower seat height. Need to narrow it down and pull the trigger.... any help or advice ya'll have is greatly appreciated!

If you're not riding deep snow or climbing the Riot s sport is a really fun kit and won't break the bank at $4,500 vs. $7,800 for a Yeti 120 or $7,900 for a CMX 120.
Second this. ^^^^^

M
Jan 14, 2004
Let's not forget the Aro 3 Pro is $7600 USD, yes the Yeti and CMX are expensive as all hell but so is the top end TS when you are actually comparing apples to apples feature wise. For me if I were riding where you are are I would want something with a narrow rail stance, maybe that's just me.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Agree the riot 120 is a good value. A 120 will go anywhere and be more fun. I would be thinking about multiple skis however. The older timber sled ski is better on the trail as well as the CMX and yeti. Also, buy all your accessories as early as possible since you know which bike you were getting. Supply chain issues suck. Hopefully your snow check will come at a reasonable time.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Oh yeah if you get the older TS ski put a triple point gold Scagg on it.

J
Mar 2, 2022
Michigan
If you're not riding deep snow or climbing the Riot s sport is a really fun kit and won't break the bank at $4,500 vs. $7,800 for a Yeti 120 or $7,900 for a CMX 120.

The yeti price includes the install kit correct? If I were to get the Riot 120, I would get the premium with the better suspension and the $1,200 install kit, so it would be around 7k in the end. The Yeti comes with belt drive and is lighter. Any other big differences or concerns between the two? I'm leaning towards the Yeti FR 120!

M
Jan 27, 2020

I am in the exact same position, but I decided for myself. I Snowchecked a Yeti 129FR and purchased a 2022 KTM 450 SX-F yesterday. I rode one last weekend and was like SOLD. I almost snow-checked a Polaris 9R but since I already had a newer sled, it was time to switch. I like the belt drive because it spins up faster and it was noticeable when accelerating. Meaning with little momentum get track speed quickly and climb. A shorter track kinda gives you that same advantage but the 129 was for me because I want to go deep and not run into issues if I do. I am also only 5'5" and like the lower seat height yeti gives you everything. it seems to me -IMO, the best overall package and for me, money wasn't as much of a factor since I was going to spend $20k+ on a sled.

The yeti price includes the install kit correct? If I were to get the Riot 120, I would get the premium with the better suspension and the $1,200 install kit, so it would be around 7k in the end. The Yeti comes with belt drive and is lighter. Any other big differences or concerns between the two? I'm leaning towards the Yeti FR 120!
I'm not 100% sure on the Yeti instal kit, but I think they do include it.

I love that Yeti brought back the 120 but hate that they just put 120 rails under the 129 tunnel. That would be a deal breaker for me. I'm currently on a Riot 3 and that bumper drags way to much even being tipped up and narrower at the end. I'm hoping the "slash" trend makes its way into the snowbike world soon.

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
It is great to have the choices we have! Both kits/Brands are very good and have individual strong points. The Yeti really does not have a lower seat height. I have a few of each.. :)

Snowbike.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
With a Yeti snow check you get: Elka 3 shocks standard vs Raptors, Elka 5's are extra but come with high and low speed compression adjustment and rebound and they are taller not that I have noticed that riding mine, the fit kit with soft strut, a rack, wheel kit, color choices, not sure about the C3 bucks this year if they still have them but I got heated bars and risers with my C3 bucks. Pretty much everything is top end all in one price, high, Lol. Oh yah a hat and T shirt which are actually pretty nice, not $10k nice but still nice. My buddy bought an Aro 3, it was cheaper but not really that much and it was a 2021 as well vs my 2022.

The new Aro 3 looks to me like its going to ride a lot like the Yeti, very well, after owning the 2022 Yeti that's the TS I would be buying.

M5

E
Dec 19, 2007
Is everyone here aware these recommendations are for Michigan snow? I'm just guessing the snow is usually more dense than wy dessert snow and not deeper than the seat so wouldn't the 3"track be a hinderance? No hills=Perfect for a riot. It won't matter what shocks you get for a chute climber on flat ground, it won't be as fun as a riot.

J
Mar 2, 2022
Michigan
Anyone have any experience with this install kit for the Riot (fixed strut) . $300 for this kit. $1,200 for the fox strut. Worth the upgrade?

Overall are the fox shocks that much better than the standard timbersled ifp shocks? I don't mind spending the extra for the fox shocks and fox strut if its worth it. Definitely don't want ****ty suspension.

Appreciate all the feedback fellas! Screenshot_20220302-213455_Chrome.jpg

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I ride a bit in the UP also. I have a 22 129 yeti freeride and a 16.5 120 yeti with the 2.5 yeti camso upgrade track. Both on 500 ktm. 120 has solid strut, 22 has soft strut. Yeah, got c3 bucks and fit kit for the 22 in the base price. I have never thought I needed more track while riding the 120 in the UP, and very infrequently out west. It would be no brainer for me if going yeti I would do the 120. My 120 is so good in the deep that I only need more a couple rides a year. I would not pay extra for a soft strut if I had the choice. I have lowered seat height on both by moving as far forward as possible ( one link less than stock), adjusting the strut to the point of near contact with exhaust and tunnel and raising the front suspension arm to the top hole in the tunnel. My 16 has a seat height of 36.75" and my 22 is 37.25". I haven't noticed any negatives to the reduced height adjustments. IMO a 3" track would be a disadvantage 90% of the time in the UP. Jesse, you ride east, west or central up?

J
Mar 2, 2022
Michigan
Dooman92- I'm located near Whitefish Pt. Ride year round (bikes, rzr, sled) around here. Ever ride out this way?

All- I found a new '22 Riot S Premium for $5,600 otd. Put deposit down. Couldn't pass it up. Thanks for all the advice and help in finding the right kit. Picking up new bike next week too....let thy build begin!!!

Premium Features