• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What weight oil does cat use in their chain case?

T
Jan 13, 2013
I dont have a local dealer and cat doesnt say what type of oil they use in their chain cases on the alphas. Anyone know what they use? I assume its just a standard gear oil just not sure what weight of oil it is.

Thanks guys!

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I dont have a local dealer and cat doesnt say what type of oil they use in their chain cases on the alphas. Anyone know what they use? I assume its just a standard gear oil just not sure what weight of oil it is.

Thanks guys!
Any synthetic chain case lube from any snowmobile dealer IMO will do. If you don't have any local dealer then order online. There has been a lot of conversations over the years about using ATF and synthetic gear oil alternatives, but IMO I'd stay with the chain case oil recommendations from the snowmobile manufacturers.

Cinno

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I used atf in my proclimb when I had it. I believe I used mobil 1 synthetic. If I remember right, i changed it 2 or 3x and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I run 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. I want to say I found specs somewhere to inform that choice, but I could be misremembering..

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I always used atf with no problems. If it’s good enough for the chain case in a $60k truck it’s good enough for the chain case in a sled.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I have atf in mine, 500 miles on the change hasn't blow up yet haha. If it's good enough for my truck trans (dodge made of glass) it ought to be good enough for the sled

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
have used atf also but usually i use some 5w30 synthetic. gear oil is super thick when its cold, so thats why atf and engine oil work well they stay thinner.

Premium Features