• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Aftermarket RAW RMK parts should be Made or Improved upon?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Orting wa
new ecu?

how about an aftermarket ecu that is programmable? maybe even something simple, like the early chevys with efi. pop in a different prom chip, and shazaam! your lean spots are gone!!!! different chips for sleds with more radical mods. they could make it to where you could change your mapping out on the trail depending on conditions/elevation.:beer;
a friend of mine has a suzuki lt450 quad with efi. they have a plug in located in the harness where you can put in your own aftermarket program.(cherry bomb is what it said on the package) we put an aftermarket can on the quad, plugged in that chip, and that thing ran way better.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I would like a revised steering rack to speed up the steering. I wonder why kirk williamson used over the motor steering on his hill climber????

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
how about an aftermarket ecu that is programmable?

What would you be willing to pay to have the ability to sit on your sled with a PC and do anything you want with fuel and ignition?We've already got that technology....will enough of the market embrace it and make it worth developing into specific kits?How about the same technology applied to all of these currently carbureted big bores floating around for sale?programmable EFI 850/900/1150 twins? 1050-1500 programmable EFI triples?

curt

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Not even sure if this is possible but I would love to try a Carbon fiber chassis that is reasonably priced if you could drop enough weight to warrant it I would buy one.

The BD turbo and Timber skid and Barkbust have given me about all I would have ever hoped for but I have always wondered what it would be like to drop even more weight as right now with boost it feels like a feather.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Not even sure if this is possible but I would love to try a Carbon fiber chassis that is reasonably priced if you could drop enough weight to warrant it I would buy one.

I've been involved in full Carbon fiber chassis', full billet chassis' and tube chassis' over the years....none are what most would call reasonably priced, tube being the closest and the only one we've carried on with. There aren't enough people in the sled world who will agree on one design that can be somewhat mass produced to get the price lower.

curt

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
Yeah I'd like to see some TI A-Arms and TI steering post. Basically anything to drop some weight. Carbon frame side panels with built in vents. Carbon rear seat supports. Carbon knee-well panels instead of those aluminum one's.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
I'd like to see and aftermarket snow flap similar to the design of the XP flap. Mostly because the XP flap has that bump out right up near the top so when your sled is sunk beyond belief you can actually get your hands around the rear bumper without first getting all the snow out.

It also would be cool to see some spindles made similar to the holz, but with more adjustable geometry. Maybe via adjustable mounting holes or something so you could get your stance further forward or back. I've just always been curious as to how different the sled would feel with your skis an inch or two forward or back.

S.Diddy,

Have a look at these. The inner rod ends allow you to adjust: ski stance, camber, caster (steering effort), and can shift the hole front suspension fore or aft by using spacers between the rod end and the mounts on the chassis.

Is that enough adjustment?

BTW, I posted more pics under the new aftermarket thread.

FSU polished:red.jpg

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
S.Diddy,

Have a look at these. The inner rod ends allow you to adjust: ski stance, camber, caster (steering effort), and can shift the hole front suspension fore or aft by using spacers between the rod end and the mounts on the chassis.

Is that enough adjustment?

BTW, I posted more pics under the new aftermarket thread.

That looks like a really nice set-up. Absolutely a forward thinking idea being able to adjust for and aft. They are billet arms I'm guessing? Are they for a Polaris. I just ask because the top arm having that support doesn't look like the shock could clear. Also what is the expected strength comparatively using those ball joints to mount to the bulk head? Are they a special high grade ball joint? Would you get forward and aft movement using them?

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I would like to mod a set of sportechs.
They take a beating, you can roll your sled, smash the handguard against trees, excetera.

The problem with them is simple.
On the handle bars there isn't enough room to mount them between the grab bar and the break. So you have to mount them on the inside of the grab bar.

This means the mount has a heavy angle to it and it is about 2" short of being in the proper position. I did make some extensions to offset the handguard, but you have to put a SERIOUS bend in the angle piece that connects the hand guard to the mount.

If they could make one with a built in offset and proper angle I would buy a couple in a heart beat.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Nice job JB

Any Mountainhorse Versions available?

attachment.php

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I had aluminum rod ends on my CMX and it didnt work out so well,,, always had to carry spares one time had to pull the motor in the trail to change the one on the bottom of the steering post,,. was light thou!!! finally changed them all to chromolly ends and still light!!

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
S.Diddy - Yeah it is for the IQ chassis and the shock clears fine. The heim joints have plenty of strength when correctly loaded. My aftermarket UCA's on my Nissan Titan have inner heim joints, plus many off road atv, utv, baja trucks do this. They are more precise then a bushing.

Kawgrn - Not sure which aluminum rod ends you used but there are big differences in mfg quality and the liners the mfg uses. I do agree that the chromoly ones are best for high strength and longevity and really not much weight difference. However, I have found a good supplier for the aluminum ones that seem to hold up.

I am happy to sell the arms w/out heim joints and let the customer purchase their own or get a better deal. There are tons of rod end suppliers.

I
Nov 26, 2007
What would you be willing to pay to have the ability to sit on your sled with a PC and do anything you want with fuel and ignition?...How about the same technology applied to all of these currently carbureted big bores floating around for sale?programmable EFI 850/900/1150 twins?

curt

$1500-2000 depending on how user friendly it is. I'm sick of sanding needles :(

Adjustable risers....

http://www.gripnripracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_10&products_id=7

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Kawgrn - Not sure which aluminum rod ends you used but there are big differences in mfg quality and the liners the mfg uses. I do agree that the chromoly ones are best for high strength and longevity and really not much weight difference. However, I have found a good supplier for the aluminum ones that seem to hold up.

I am happy to sell the arms w/out heim joints and let the customer purchase their own or get a better deal. There are tons of rod end suppliers.[/QUOTE]

we were using ,,I think Aroura ends the aluminun broke at the thread But Chromolly fixed all my Problems

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
A front bumper replacement that has some strength and a built in float plate that doesn't require hacking up the plastics and actually fits correctly without breaking welds.

A rear bumper option that looks like it could be factory but has the strength and usability of the Skinz Industries.

A much stronger steering post that doesn't have to be custom ordered with a "Normal" width T-top so any riser will fit.

Better underseat storage rather then the POS Polaris underseat bag.... Really just better storage all around.

Side panels, side panels, side panels, side panels. Getting tired of buying Polaris side panels.

Hood options. Would love to see a "flat top" (no gauge/headlight pod) that otherwise looked OEM and was lighter (carbon fiber?).

Gauge/Electronics relocation kits. Want to be able to put the gauge cluster somewhere readable and move the electronics off my handlebars so I can quit replacing the handwarmer controls after good wrecks (they fill with snow/water and freeze).

Tunnel options. Can't tell you how many OEM tunnels I've seen with the side rails bent.

Uhh... can't really think of anything else that I've broke/replaced/destroyed on my sled lately.

Last edited:
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
how about an aftermarket ecu that is programmable?

What would you be willing to pay to have the ability to sit on your sled with a PC and do anything you want with fuel and ignition?We've already got that technology....will enough of the market embrace it and make it worth developing into specific kits?How about the same technology applied to all of these currently carbureted big bores floating around for sale?programmable EFI 850/900/1150 twins? 1050-1500 programmable EFI triples?

curt
This would be huge!!!!!! Even if it was setup for the motor and ran 90% or better all the time by the EFI compensation abilities. The tuning is what scares a lot of people away from Big bores, Face it, they are expensive to build and expensive to rebuild if you screw up, at least it could take away one of those costs for the not so refined tuner out there that want's big bore power.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
A replacement true airbox system, similar in function to the timbersled system or say the BDX airbox for the cats, an actual redesign of the intake area to eliminate snow injestion.

Cylinder heads that allow twins to be used on the 800 without race fuel mix.

A big bore kit for the 800 that is all inclusive, clutching, head mods, ecu/programmer, single or twin pipe option for around $3000, IE why is carls 860 kit for the carb engines only 600 more than the efi engine when it includes a new crank. Or the 840 kit that includes new injectors and throttle bodies and essentially the same cylinders as the 860CFI kit but at the same price. Not knockin carls their stuff rocks but their pricing befuddles me.

660 and 685 kits for the CFI engines.

A tree traveler bumper similar to the one found on the widetrack IQ, also this model has factory vented side panels that might be a good replacement option for guys.

Affordable windshields that offer more function and selection.

A break in the monopoly on tracks to drive that technology further.

More efficient driveline products, cats seemingly put the power to the snow better.

More Players in the Game, pipes, BB kits, suspensions, tunnels, innovative new things.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I wouldnt mind trying a sled that had a clutch and 5-6 gears to help get the power to the ground better, maybe using some sort of paddle shift technology so you dont have to click through the gears with your feet. I think that clicking gears would be tricky on a sled unless you went to foot pegs, which would suck too cause I like to use my whole running board alot

S.Diddy

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Park City, UT
I wouldnt mind trying a sled that had a clutch and 5-6 gears to help get the power to the ground better, maybe using some sort of paddle shift technology so you dont have to click through the gears with your feet. I think that clicking gears would be tricky on a sled unless you went to foot pegs, which would suck too cause I like to use my whole running board alot

Were you thinking something along these lines? I call it Polaris 2011 answer to their 800 motor problems...paddle shift technology.

paddleshift.jpg

Premium Features