• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Very upset, got spanked by a dragon. PLEASE HELP!!

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
One of the biggest improvements you could make is installing a power claw track. Assuming your set up is fairly close to being dialed in.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I should be all in the track........

Like a lot of guys are telling you, who cares on tracked up snow. The new Powder Claw will work better on both tracked up and good powder. The Poo track is very stiff and will not work well on loose snow.

Owen

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
You need to get the powerclaw.
That 09 dragon pops up on top of the snow, whereas that 07 is a trenching fool. Powerclaw should get you back in the game.

R
Jan 2, 2008
My buddy has been riding for 2 yrs, me for 20. Usually have the fastest sleds in our group. Best set up ones too. I raced motocross for 22 yrs most in the pro class. So i don't feel rider is the problem.

I have my a challenger that is turned backward, cause most of the snow is always set hard. It hooks up really good. I ride at 6-8000 ft.

Do you think gaining 300 rpm would make that much difference?? thanks alot for the feed back, not trying to start a war. Just need some Arctic cat guys with some good set ups. thanks again....

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Power Claw. Your life will align with the stars and you will become one with your sled.

Besides, who cares. If you want the baddest sled on the snow....write the big check for the turbo or NOS. And don't tell anybody.... :D

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
M-8-Single-Pipe.gif

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT

I was going after this same chart, you beat me to it. Get it to 8100, you'll feel the difference. Mine stays right around 8060 and it runs great. Other than that, a little fuel management with a box helps. I know everyone says you don't need a box...then I guess following that logic, you don't need all the power out of the pipe either. W/o a box my A/F ratio is in the mid 13's to low 14's. In the mid range you'll see some high 14's to mid 15's. If you want all the power out of the pipe, put on a box and run mid 12's at WOT. Also RPM's on the cat gauge are a little suspect, if you record RPM's on a box during a climb you'll probably find you are a couple hundred R's over or under what your gauge says. You may think you are getting 7900, but you may be only turning 7700. If that's the case, there will be a pretty big performance gain between 7700 and 8100. If you're SLP piped M8 is getting beat badly, whether drag racing or not by a STOCK dragon, something isn't setup right.

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
setting the clutching up really stops most of it(and I admit as delievered it did trench)..and I liked the M-8..sled really goes good..but from what I saw all day..my dragon did better...but if I didnt own the dragon..I would own the m-8..very nice sleds...

This dragon works excellent, rider ability has something to do with it too. I was the guy on the M8 and AKSNOWRIDER is a much better rider than I. First real ride out on the M8 though and I really like how it works, just need to get used to the new chassis, isn't going to be real hard just have to keep from throwing the thing over on its side. Tcat took much more rider input.

The 07 M8 I rode with Saturday worked everybit as good as mine, but again much of that could have been rider ability. (damn makes me sound like I don't know how to ride) mostly boondocking no big straight up climbs.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
A question asked to the Cat 800 engine designer;

How do I know when I have only one spark plug working in a cylinder? The answer was , you'll be down about three hundred RPM. You'll also be down if the pipe sensor is not working as it sends a signal to the ECU to retard timming.

Owen

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
ain't scared of any dragons

that not good! We can't let those polaris guys get any bigger heads!
You need to be at 8100 rpm, if you under your not getting all the power to the track, installing a powerclaw track will suprise you and your polaris buddies! the 07 M8 is going to be heavier and that is the down side! Check your clutching, and think about a powerclaw, lots of money can be spent thats the bad part about sleddin! Also, there is always someone on a faster sled! It's all part of the game! Cat's still are the best!!

R
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks guys, will get the rpms up and let you know. Do you think the power claw will make that much difference in a drag race?

R
Jul 16, 2008
some mods

add some air vents and the SLP air intake kit along with V-force3 reeds CLUTCHING--(major factor) and you should do well.. i own a 2008 M8 and i have the pipe can reeds and all my clutching dialed in with a 162 track and i pull harder and go further then any stock or mod stock dragon around my area its really just the matter of setting your sled up to your elevation's too

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey i am selling my RKT secondary came off of my 07 M8 just bought a HCR so can't use it:mad:. If any of you guys with the 07 M8 are looking for that edge this thing is awsome it was like riding a new sled when i installed it and got it set up. You would be amazed the difference the RKT secondary makes.:beer;

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
if your looking for some get up and go(this will probably help for all around mountain riding to) gear that puppy down. i did it to my m7 to 55/65 i believe and it made a big difference. i can smoke the other m7s in my group that have stock gearing in a drag race by like 3 or 4 sled lengths and still run neck and neck with them in the top end. i've also beat both 700 dragons i've rode with in an up hill drag on harder snow to. if anyones rode a stock m7 they know this is not at all where they usually shine.

Premium Features