• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tether or key replace...

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Hey guys... wanted some opinions as I'm pretty clueless still.

Last year my ignition key got hammered by a flying kneecap. It still works... but it's hanging on by a hair of remaining metal. It won't last long and needs to be replaced. Besides, I'm a little OCD and it drives me nuts. :mmph:

So... I thought, before I order a new replacement switch and key... maybe I should be looking for a tether type setup instead.
I haven't seen many of these or know much about them... but I do like the idea of killing my sled motor, if I'm not on it anymore.

has anyone done this change up? Am I even thinking right? Does the tether setup replace the straight key or is it added elsewhere into the system?

Does anyone have one setup on the 1M they can share a picture of?
Any other advice, tricks or tips on this setup?

Thanks folks!

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
can I order a tether from some place and just replace the key?
I appreciate the "vote" style opinion... but I'm looking for more info.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
another vote for the tether, imo no sled should be without one and should always be worn. the tether is usually added to the system but it wouldn't take much to get rid of the key.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
The way the tether is designed to be installed is after the key and in conjunction with the handle bar kill switch. When installed per the directions the key will kill all and the sled will not start. With the key turned on the handle bar switch or the tether will kill it. The easiest way for you would be to get a tether either a cat specific or universal. The only difference is the cat version has the mating plug to the wire harness which makes it a plug and play unit. Anyway install the tether, turn your key on and make sure the sled starts and dies with the tether. Then finish breaking the key off while the ignition is still in the on position

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
hmmm... well, it's not like stealing a sled would be any kind of impressive feat. I guess the question then would be... would the tether act as a key? If it wasn't plugged into the system, would the sled still start?

I'm not particularly worried about keeping they key but had no idea there were that few made. They're pretty cheap and a 5 minute swap.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
if you can get the key out the number for the pattern is stamped on it. just give your dealer that number and he can get you another key. if the tether is a factory one and you unplug it from the wiring harness the sled will run, if you put it inline with the ignition and remove it, it will not.

Last edited:
B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
hmmm... well, it's not like stealing a sled would be any kind of impressive feat. I guess the question then would be... would the tether act as a key? If it wasn't plugged into the system, would the sled still start?

I'm not particularly worried about keeping they key but had no idea there were that few made. They're pretty cheap and a 5 minute swap.

Yes a tether switch will replace a key switch with out a problem. By "If it wasn't plugged into the system" do you mean the tether clip removed from the switch or the switch removed from the circuit? I believe all cats use a normally open ignition circuit and any switch can be removed/unwired and the sled will run. Now that being said I have no experience with a 1M ignition circuit, just going off of what I've read and heard. One way to test to make sure it's normally open without a meter would be remove your key switch from the circuit/unwire or unplug it and see if the sled still runs.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
By "If it wasn't plugged into the system" do you mean the tether clip removed from the switch or the switch removed from the circuit?

appreciate the info... but I have no idea. I've never seen one, at all.
I've read on the forums about them... but neither of the two guys I went sledding with on my last season out had one either. I'm a pretty visually oriented guy. Without having seen one, much less tried messing around with one to understand how it works... I'm pretty clueless.

I was under the impression that a tether works to kill the machine engine when it gets pulled out by the rider. with that understanding... if the tether was removed, would the sled be able to be started normally?

I assumed the tether setup worked similarly to a key, but without the ON/OFF position. If it's in place, the sled will start and run... if it's removed and taken with the rider, can someone walk up, start the sled and ride off?

If not... then I'd just replace the key with a tether setup and not worry about it. Having both key and tether setups would be kind of redundant, wouldn't it?

Sorry... I guess I just need to go somewhere to check one out.

FWIW, I don't have a "dealer". Bought my sled used and have it worked on by a local mechanic working out of his garage, if it's too deep for me. Dealerships are so often a scam and the closest one in priest river has been a major disappointment, unless I go in knowing everything I can about what I'm looking for... because they don't seem to know anything about my sled (or theirs for that matter).

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
appreciate the info... but I have no idea. I've never seen one, at all.
I've read on the forums about them... but neither of the two guys I went sledding with on my last season out had one either. I'm a pretty visually oriented guy. Without having seen one, much less tried messing around with one to understand how it works... I'm pretty clueless.

I was under the impression that a tether works to kill the machine engine when it gets pulled out by the rider. with that understanding... if the tether was removed, would the sled be able to be started normally?

I assumed the tether setup worked similarly to a key, but without the ON/OFF position. If it's in place, the sled will start and run... if it's removed and taken with the rider, can someone walk up, start the sled and ride off?

If not... then I'd just replace the key with a tether setup and not worry about it. Having both key and tether setups would be kind of redundant, wouldn't it?

Sorry... I guess I just need to go somewhere to check one out.

FWIW, I don't have a "dealer". Bought my sled used and have it worked on by a local mechanic working out of his garage, if it's too deep for me. Dealerships are so often a scam and the closest one in priest river has been a major disappointment, unless I go in knowing everything I can about what I'm looking for... because they don't seem to know anything about my sled (or theirs for that matter).

Sorry if I muddied the waters with my other post. You can replace the key switch with a tether no problem. When you pull the tether it will shut you sled off. You can order one online, I like the pro design tether. I'm pretty sure you need a normally open switch. Here's a link to the tether. http://www.advantagecyclelc.com/showproduct.php?id=222&prodnext=0&searchvalue=&nbrProds=15&catId=17

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just to be clear, there is ZERO reason to have a key on a sled, none, not at all, zip, zilch.

A key on a sled is just one more thing to lose. That, quite literally is the only purpose it serves.

As you said... with a normal open system it's not exactly rocket science to steal a sled.

ANY normal open tether will go right where the key was (from a wiring perspective), and do the exact same thing, but with a tether instead of a key.

Key and tether are wired in parallel, so that either one can complete the circuit and kill the machine, by using one or the other, you're not changing anything, just that you've got one instead of the other to close the circuit.

They key does not need the tether nor does the tether need a key.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i think i got where your coming from. yes if you pull the tether the sled will not run, but anyone with another tether can plug theirs in and start your sled or just hold down the button in the tether swith. if your looking for theft protection not the best idea. although it doesn't take much to get around a key on one either. doo is the only manufacture that has a programed tether where you have to have the exact tether that came out of the switch to make it run.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
i think i got where your coming from. yes if you pull the tether the sled will not run, but anyone with another tether can plug theirs in and start your sled or just hold down the button in the tether swith. if your looking for theft protection not the best idea. although it doesn't take much to get around a key on one either. doo is the only manufacture that has a programed tether where you have to have the exact tether that came out of the switch to make it run.

Tether & key are both the same, all you have to do is cut a wire.

Being normal open, you don't even have to wire them together or anything super tech like that, literally snip ONE wire, and it'll run.

There is no such thing as security on a cat, doesn't exist that I know of.

The only thing I could think of is if you changed the routing and somehow made those wires harder to get to, but still... it's not as if you need a sled or bike running to take them (and I'd guess most of the time sleds aren't stolen running, but on a trailer, or just loaded up.

Glad I live in the boonies.:face-icon-small-dis

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
isn't the fact that it says arctic cat a theft deterrent;) oh snap!!!

when staying at a lodge or motel overnight with the sleds parked outside on my M I always unplugged the ecm just enough so that the wires weren't connected but still looked like they were. I figured it would be enough of a deterrent to keep some loser looking for a quick easy joy ride enough of a problem they'd end up looking somewhere else.

Last edited:
B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
isn't the fact that it says arctic cat a theft deterrent;) oh snap!!!
hey HEY now! :face-icon-small-fro

:face-icon-small-win
that's the info I was looking for! most appreciated, all of you!
If I need a real theft deterrent, I suppose I'd get a chain and lock.

I'm not too worried about it. I'm the kinda of guy that leaves the key on my Harley unlocked, but lock the forks. I figure I'll hear the bastard try to start it and by the time he figures it out, I'll be giving him the boots. :face-icon-small-hap

All great info though. Guess I'll pull the whole key switch and slap a tether switch connection in there, rather than worry about replacing the broken key. Then I can strap to my right wrist and keep the sled from potential problems without me on it. thanks again guys!

Last edited:
A
Mar 11, 2007
Onoway Alberta
I have both the key and tether on mine. I am going to take the ignition switch off and just use the tether. As stated before, starting the sled without a key is a 30 second job.

Premium Features