• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stupid Throttle Block Design

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I tried today for the first time today the Munster finger throttle on my 22 Matryx. After many years of riding Sleds, Quads, Squirt boats and Dirt bikes I thought i would give it a try. My take on it.. On the whooped trail on the way up to the riding area, I didnt like it. With thinner gloves and technical riding... I definately preferred the finger throttle, but my hands got cold so moved up to my mid weight gloves. Then I didnt like the finger as much. So this is definately a personal choice, for a number of reasons. Sorry about jacking the thread. We have determined the OEM throttle block is a POS. So do we go?? RSI ? Next level? or the Munster on backwards??

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I tried today for the first time today the Munster finger throttle on my 22 Matryx. After many years of riding Sleds, Quads, Squirt boats and Dirt bikes I thought i would give it a try. My take on it.. On the whooped trail on the way up to the riding area, I didnt like it. With thinner gloves and technical riding... I definately preferred the finger throttle, but my hands got cold so moved up to my mid weight gloves. Then I didnt like the finger as much. So this is definately a personal choice, for a number of reasons. Sorry about jacking the thread. We have determined the OEM throttle block is a POS. So do we go?? RSI ? Next level? or the Munster on backwards??
Skinz or mountain valley machine.

None of the rest have clearance for snow packing.

Munster backwards is cold and doesn’t match the natural thumb movement. (Yeah I tried that too)

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Anyone try a 2019+ cat throttle?
I've never had an issue with the Alpha throttle.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
The standard flipper gives more grip strength obviously. If you consider hanging on under accelleration, up hill all the forces are throwing you backwards and 4 fingers to hold on are way stronger than a partially open hand with only 3 fingers. Comiing downhill I agree a closed thumb is stronger but honestly this is not near the forces as climbing.
I have to disagree with this statement. Having used both for a few years now, finger throttle definitely provides better gripping power in pretty much every situation. Doesn't make it better by any means, but definitely provides better grip in all technical situations.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have to disagree with this statement. Having used both for a few years now, finger throttle definitely provides better gripping power in pretty much every situation. Doesn't make it better by any means, but definitely provides better grip in all technical situations.
I don't think you are considering the forces at play. If you riding style provides different forces then me then maybe. e.g. a big jumper will definately have to brace himself from going forward on a harsh landing so a wrapped thumb could make sense. Going uphill on power is another story.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
You still have 3 fingers holding on while going up hill. Finger throttle requires 1 finger. It is personal choice, I have been riding with a finger throttle for over 30plus years and would never go back. FWIW, The whole reason why the group of guys that I rode/ride with spun our throttles around was we were all hill climbing riding big bore triple mod sleds. If ever grip strength was needed it was 200plus HP on 141inch tracks with 2inch plastic paddles going up hill.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I got unloaded this year. Did a complete flip over the bars. I thought it was because I hit a rock. Now i know it is because of grip strength. Guess I'll have to get in shape. Maybe move the couch farther from the fridge.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
You still have 3 fingers holding on while going up hill. Finger throttle requires 1 finger. It is personal choice, I have been riding with a finger throttle for over 30plus years and would never go back. FWIW, The whole reason why the group of guys that I rode/ride with spun our throttles around was we were all hill climbing riding big bore triple mod sleds. If ever grip strength was needed it was 200plus HP on 141inch tracks with 2inch plastic paddles going up hill.
Dude you need to tell all the rmsha guys this. They’re doing it all wrong running the week as thumb throttle! First guy that figures this out will be new king of kings bro!

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
never said thats the only way to go. said its a personal choice. Was more in response to which way has more grip. There was a response earlier in the thread mentioning grabbing and swinging a hammer, 1 way using 3 fingers and a thumb verses 4 finger and no thumb. which had more strength. do you know for sure that absolutely no RMSHA riders are using it?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It boils down to who cares. If you like it use it. Its like the vertical vs horizontal argument. Doesn't make 2 sh!ts. Most all this stuff means nothing. Ride what you like. If you want tall bars. Fine. If you want a loud can, just remember i won't pull you out. If you want to use your mountain bar fine. And let's not forget my all time favorite wet vs dry debate. These sleds are so good anymore that most of this stuff means nothing. People aren't willing to admit they are the holdup. Eventually you run out of stuff to buy and you have to learn to ride.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The standard flipper gives more grip strength obviously.

No it doesn't. Your thumb is your strongest finger and outside of full pinned (which will be the same 5 finger grip on both) having that thumb off the bar is just dumb if you're talking about grip strength.

I've been riding finger throttles for about a decade (made my own before munster) but learned on a thumber. Between my personal and work sleds (finger on mine, thumb on works) it's hilarious to me getting back on thumb throttles specifically because grip strength is greatly reduced.

It's fine if you don't like them but grip strength is the primary reason people stay with finger throttles.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Dude you need to tell all the rmsha guys this. They’re doing it all wrong running the week as thumb throttle! First guy that figures this out will be new king of kings bro!

I don't know about you but I ride downhill and sidehill for extended periods sometimes. Like after every climb since pickup helicopters are expensive.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Why are you all being so unsafe riding the pronoun friendly Danforth? The easy fix for throttle linkage is to trade that POS for a tunnel cut-clutched suspensioned Axys. Minus clutching for 97% of you. I can only surmise that you all suffer like me from prior use of LSD by continuing your pain on the Danforth and fully support our Progressive woke Liberals in Washington State by legalizing mushrooms.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
No it doesn't. Your thumb is your strongest finger and outside of full pinned (which will be the same 5 finger grip on both) having that thumb off the bar is just dumb if you're talking about grip strength.

I've been riding finger throttles for about a decade (made my own before munster) but learned on a thumber. Between my personal and work sleds (finger on mine, thumb on works) it's hilarious to me getting back on thumb throttles specifically because grip strength is greatly reduced.

It's fine if you don't like them but grip strength is the primary reason people stay with finger throttles.
I've rode stand-up jet skis since the late 80s early 90s. Changed the first few because i liked it better. Later models came with them. Never once thought about grip strength. Purely preference.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've rode stand-up jet skis since the late 80s early 90s. Changed the first few because i liked it better. Later models came with them. Never once thought about grip strength. Purely preference.

It's not even a question. You can push, pull, apply or resit forces in any direction with 3 fingers and a thumb wrapped around bars. With 4 fingers and your thumb off, you can go uphill and hang on better, and that's about it. And 'better' in that case is still debatable. There's a reason dirtbikes, mountainbikes etc all use levers for controls and not thumbs.

We end up doing all kinds of gymnastics with our palm to make up for not having fingers and a thumb wrapped around a bar full time. You may not notice it anymore because it's programmed (same here) but it does happen when you don't have a constant grip on the bars, which a thumb throttle forces you to do.

Last edited:
Premium Features