• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stupid Throttle Block Design

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
New to Polaris, and after experiencing a few rides in deep snow with cold temps on the Matryx, the throttle block to flipper interface icing up really sucks. I don't need cruise control on my snowmobile.

It's a safety issue that I hoped poo would solve on the 22's (like the long overdue tether on mountain sleds), but it looks just like the old one that all my Axys riding buds complained about and fought constantly.

I guess this remains is a solution for the aftermarket, but gosh it seems like a basic safety issue that engineers should've figured out years ago.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
New to Polaris, and after experiencing a few rides in deep snow with cold temps on the Matryx, the throttle block to flipper interface icing up really sucks. I don't need cruise control on my snowmobile.

It's a safety issue that I hoped poo would solve on the 22's (like the long overdue tether on mountain sleds), but it looks just like the old one that all my Axys riding buds complained about and fought constantly.

I guess this remains is a solution for the aftermarket, but gosh it seems like a basic safety issue that engineers should've figured out years ago.
It’s actually worse this year with the new throttle lever warmer having the epoxy on the backside instead of the foam.

Melts snow, runs down under the throttle block and freezes there.

It’s new throttle block time for literally every poo sled.

Or turn the effing warmers off which is pathetic.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
They're expensive but the Skinz throttle block is worth it to me. I took it off my AXYS and put on the Matryx before the first ride. It never ices up and don't have to continually knock the snow/ice off it.

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
I carry lock deicer with me. I agree it sucks. I got those burant guantlets this year to see if that helps. Buddy running the mid windshield seemed not to have the issues like me, but he doesn't use the warmers as much.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Are you guys running your hand warmers all the time? Up to -25C, I only run mine while on the trail then turn them off 10min before getting to the riding area. Once in the trees I find that I don’t need the hand warmers.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Are you guys running your hand warmers all the time? Up to -25C, I only run mine while on the trail then turn them off 10min before getting to the riding area. Once in the trees I find that I don’t need the hand warmers.
Yeah tried that with a bunch of different gloves and frozen hands every time.

On high on the trail, lo in the trees.

J
Nov 25, 2019
I have a friend that runs super thin gloves and runs his hand warmers on hi all day( skidoo with finger throttle ). I watch him wring the water out of his gloves multiple times each day and do multiple glove changes.

I constantly have cold hands, especially on the trails but when tree riding they are hot, almost too hot.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I seen Murph Instagram picture, and looks like he has a beer cozy or something covering parts of the throttle.

Screenshot_20220102-170613_Gallery.jpg

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
The grizzly gauntlets help a ton. I haven't had frozen throttle since I started using them. The cubs are almost as good as the big daddys for keeping your hands/controls protected. Highly recommend.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Mvm has a throttle block out too. I just ordered one for my axys

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Good responses flowing here guys.

I just don't understand why the known issue (since 2013?) hasn't been resolved by Polaris.

Yes we can find ways to mitigate the problem, but the sled should be able to run safely in deep snow with cold weather and stock hand/thumb warmers running without issue. This is not user error.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Good responses flowing here guys.

I just don't understand why the known issue (since 2013?) hasn't been resolved by Polaris.

Yes we can find ways to mitigate the problem, but the sled should be able to run safely in deep snow with cold weather and stock hand/thumb warmers running without issue. This is not user error.
Its only really an issue when the snow is deeper, couple times a year, but its annoying

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Its only really an issue when the snow is deeper, couple times a year, but its annoying
Your profile says you live in Boise, and I'm sorry to hear that you're only riding "deeper" snow a couple times a year.

For the rest of us who ride in pow regularly this a real safety issue.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ya it sucks. Can’t run the warmers on deep days, that’s the way she goes. Yes they should improve it, but they haven’t and won’t this year. Turn the warmers off in the deep, or buy a different throttle block.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I seen Murph Instagram picture, and looks like he has a beer cozy or something covering parts of the throttle.
?????? Top secret.

You guys think it’s bad with dry pow. Try Sierra cement and an epileptic throttle thumb. So many of my customers bring me sleds that “won’t run” I have a heat gun next to the door of my shop and an extension cord setup so I can thaw out their throttle blocks without them unloading.

Regarding my neoprene sleeve (modified beer coozie) I’m trying to finalize a design that reduces the problem with out creating a new one— first attempt saw the material get stuck between the throttle block and flipper. No ice but stuck throttle all the same ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ Current version works pretty good… but it wears quickly and falls apart.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Your profile says you live in Boise, and I'm sorry to hear that you're only riding "deeper" snow a couple times a year.

For the rest of us who ride in pow regularly this a real safety issue.
Enough of an issue that i bought a MVM block

Premium Features