• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stupid Throttle Block Design

N
Oct 10, 2010
Jackson Wy
"There's a reason dirtbikes, mountainbikes etc all use levers for controls and not thumbs." I have to agree with this having been a long time dirt bike rider. I think I would prefer utilizing my finger rather than thumb and will be interested in giving it a try. I understand that the thumb is the most unique digit of the hand and confers the ability to grasp. It is grasp that I believe to be the primary use for a handle bar.

In summary, the thumb is the hallmark of humans and separates us from primates, so unless I plan on hanging from trees I think the finger throttle would have advantages.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It's not even a question. You can push, pull, apply or resit forces in any direction with 3 fingers and a thumb wrapped around bars. With 4 fingers and your thumb off, you can go uphill and hang on better, and that's about it. And 'better' in that case is still debatable. There's a reason dirtbikes, mountainbikes etc all use levers for controls and not thumbs.

We end up doing all kinds of gymnastics with our palm to make up for not having fingers and a thumb wrapped around a bar full time. You may not notice it anymore because it's programmed (same here) but it does happen when you don't have a constant grip on the bars, which a thumb throttle forces you to do.
I don't know why the argument keeps going. You admitted you have a better grip with 4 fingers going up hill which you do. Most pressure is pulling. People aren't just falling off of sleds. This is such a stupid argument that i cant bieve i bought into it.

N
Oct 10, 2010
Jackson Wy
I agree that 4 fingers is an advantage going up hill, however for countersteering, side hill, downhill, braking, hitting bumps and driving through conditions that drive the body forward having a better grip seems like it would be helpful. I currently find that I need to have my legs / knee pressing against the console to help with forward g's in those conditions and have to wonder if a better grip would be a move in the right direction.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
( biden voice) Come on man… Go down to the playground, get up on them monkey bars, swing around do some pull UPS without using your thumb at all......
Now do it again with your thumb and without the index finger, simple science You can do yourself guys....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
never said thats the only way to go. said its a personal choice. Was more in response to which way has more grip. There was a response earlier in the thread mentioning grabbing and swinging a hammer, 1 way using 3 fingers and a thumb verses 4 finger and no thumb. which had more strength. do you know for sure that absolutely no RMSHA riders are using it?
If you have big hands you definately crush the bars between your fingers and you palm as you will close your hand around the bars and your thumb needs not be in play for holding on. If you have tiny hands I can see not getting the same grip as your fingers won't wrap all the way around the bars. Then you might feel you need the thumb wrapped to hang on. Again not everything works for everyone but the thumb flipper is definately not as likely to get hammered by tree branches, even if you run the guard on your front facing throttle.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
( biden voice) Come on man… Go down to the playground, get up on them monkey bars, swing around do some pull UPS without using your thumb at all......
Now do it again with your thumb and without the index finger, simple science You can do yourself guys....

now try it with a tss and a bunch of ice

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Tell me you sit down on descents without telling me you sit down on descents
Buddy, if your equating i can't ride good luck. I've been riding like everyone is riding for years before stellar equipment and videos and clinics. Even had people telling me you should have both feet on boards saying it was stupid i was riding wrong foot forward. Telling people mountain bars had no leverage and were no good. So no i don't sit down or use reverse going downhill. I trowel concrete so i know how to hold on to something and don't need my thumb. My thumb also moves twice as far as everyone. That is why i usually tear gloves out in thumb. Tell me how kesterke holds on. Never falls off. You must ride harder. Done with this stupid conversation

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Relax

I wasn't challenging your pioneer of snowmobiling status, I promise. We're deeply grateful for your contributions.

But there's a reason so many people go to finger throttles. And it's pretty much 100% for maintaining grip strength full time with no variability as you move through the throttle range. "we dunnit this way in the 70s" doesn't negate that. It's not a theory, it's experience. People (including me) ride covering their brake full time with their index finger and they're not exactly flipping it around because it's a superior setup. Maybe I missed it but I assume you've at least tried one? The ergonomics on the munster are pretty darn good.

Biggest downfall is a cold finger. That part legit sucks.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I’m amazed someone can be so passionate about something like a finger throttle!
It's like a religion. Since it's that good, those running it should shut up about it and amaze their buds where and how long they can ride. Peeps were rolling their throttles on cats, doos and poos since the 70's - just personal preference, there's nothing new to see here. For the love of God, please let it snow...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I’m amazed someone can be so passionate about something like a finger throttle!

sshhh!

I got a 'buddy'.

I'm trying to get a 'champ' and a 'sport'

I mean jeesh it's not like we're talking about the steering on a skidoo or anything important.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm not sure if 2 buddies can be exchanged for a champ or a sport but we take what we can get

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
No worries, champ.
U have been a great sport....

Keep up the rhetoric, sometimes it goes a touch to far at the wrong moment.

We will all heal..... we'll, except for the Polaris throttle block....

N
Oct 10, 2010
Jackson Wy
"thumb flipper is definately not as likely to get hammered by tree branches" That sounds kind of thrilling :) It would be an interesting sensation for the machine to suddenly be at full tilt whilst staring at a tree...

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
SO, in summary, if you want to try to keep your stock block from cruise controlling your sled into a tree or worse, pull a spacer washer out of the throttle stack height (as your dealer probably will do anyway when you take it back for the TPS warranty bulletin check).

For better results, you're trying to preserve a thumb throttle, buy the Skinz or MVM throttle block. They are excellent designs that reduce or eliminate the icing condition of the stock block.

Or, go all Canadian, tear the whole thing off, install a finger throttle, and live with the consequences of cult life. Your next step just might be a ski-doo. :ROFLMAO:

Premium Features