• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

STM exhaust valves

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Sooo I'm just wondering if anybody knows if STM valves use stock Cat exhaust valve slides? Or are slides included with valves packet? I'm wondering are they lighter than stock ones or not? Stock ones seem to be really heavy compared to Rotax ones.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
If you are talking about the blades, yes. You have to send yours in to them as a "core". They ding your CC for the core charge and refund it when they recieve them. They (I suspect) machine them to fit on the doo valves.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
John I think STM only does it on the 800/900 Up right not the lay down I think STM provides them with the M series

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
From their web site...
The ZR models require retro fitting your stock blades and retainer plate to our assembly. You are required to send them to us in order to complete the assembly. EFI units will require an additional servo chip.

The F6/ F7/ M7, F-800 / 1000, M-1000 and Crossfire 800/1000 require no alteration.
The complete valve and housing assembly are made of billet. We also include a plug in chip to the ecu harness that allows you to remove the servo motor without defaulting the ignition timing.

So yes, it looks like the lay down kit has billet blades.

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
stm valves

The blades are not aluminium they are steel

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Bear, Bear................stay in reality.............

I run the STM valve in my M1000. They work very well and don''t weigh any appreciable amount versus steel.

Lay off a 12 pack for a weekend and you'll appreciate the weight diff between the alum blade versus a chromo=steel...........

Sometimes this weight thing goes a bit far IMO!!!

BTW...............how are the skid rails????

Quinton

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Actually my plan is to make my own valves and noticed the weight difference while holding stock Cat blades and Rotax blades in my hands. So this got me wondering if there's some reason rotax ones being so light. Maybe rotax ones react quicker but in the other hand - do they need to react that quick? I'm not worried about the weight saving but if there's something to do how good/bad they work?

My plan was to do simple adapter to convert valves to RAVE without modifying stock parts at all. Simple stuff usually works the best so I'll use Cat blades and do little adapters so they will fit with doo parts.

Here's couple pics of my idea:
rave2.jpg

rave1.jpg

greiff:
12 pack sounds good! :D
Bad thing is one of those rails bent after rear wheels fly away (locktite failed to keep the bolt) and rail went trough track. Rail bent about 170 degrees... So we need at least one new rail.

Here we are wondering what happened:
IMG_8698.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features