• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel tank grommets

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Can anyone tell me where I can find a fuel tank grommet with an o.d. of 3/4" and an i.d. of 1/2"? I'm working on a sled that has had a second fuel line installed in the tank and it turns out they used a larger hole than the stock polaris one. The hole in the tank is 3/4" and the fuel valve is 1/2". I can't find anything on line, lots of grommets but no specs, just part #'s or applications. I don't want to buy another tank but if I can't find a grommet I guess I'll have to. Sure could use some help here.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
May not be fuel-proof but a good hardware store probably has grommets in the drawers of assorted miscellaneous hardware items. Not all stores have all the same drawers. My local is a good store but a favorite in grand junction and my favorite Denver stores just buries the local store. Having said that, I don’t know if Canadian hardware stores have the same.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I've been through the local outlets with no luck, don't want to buy another tank but it's starting to look like I'll have to.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Try an agricultural applicator or landscape supplier. Typically have huge selection of bungs, grommets, hose fittings.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Try an agricultural applicator or landscape supplier. Typically have huge selection of bungs, grommets, hose fittings.
I hitch hiked through Idaho many years ago. Borrowed a girlfriends car, drove to salt lake city to visit a friend, car blew up in Idaho. Who knew half of Idaho is desert. It's a hell of a story, everybody that picked me up had a beer or a doobie, actually ended up 80 miles down the wrong highway with two college girls, I honestly didn't know it was the wrong way but what the hell I was having a good time. When we figured it out and I got out there I was, all F'd up with a beer in my hand in the middle of a desert, tumble weeds, sand, the real deal. When I got back to Seattle the highway went right past the Kingdome and Led Zepplin was doing their last american tour, playing in the Kingdome that night, the guy giving me a ride right then had tickets for the show, $20 All I had in my pocket was $20 and I needed that to get on the ferry at Port Angeles to get home so I never made it to the show. Looking back I still kick my ass for not getting out of that car and walking across that field. That was August 1977.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Cannot find an appropriate grommet, I’ve phoned all over the states, talked to lots of manufacturers and for various reasons nothing is available. Decided to pull the tank off another ‘99 mod I have and just drill a second hole in that tank and use the factory grommets. That’s when I discovered the 0.750 hole is the factory one and the 0.650 hole is the second aftermarket one. The difference is the factory fitting is 0.650 diam. and the aftermarket valves that were used are 0.500 diam. So using the factory fitting, the factory grommet and a factory 0.750 hole everything is beautiful. Well I CAN make a small hole bigger (the aftermarket 0.650) and use a second set of everything factory. Will require some different plumbing/fuel lines but another obstacle overcome. See my post about my greasy triple in the Gen 2 section. I will ride this old girl this year. Thanks to all the guys that gave advice, it’s all appreciated and helps. Love this place for advice and help.

Premium Features