• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So Arctic Cat your telling me.....

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Mike said: "40 years of dicking with this stuff tells me its in the chassis. I think you guys have proven all the clutch parts won't help. So whats the difference between the 6/7/8 chassis and the 1000's? Motor mounts ? Engine off set? What fxzk up in mfg'n when they drop this motor in is different , and screwing with the belt. Do we have a bunch of bad bulheads out there with parts missing or bad welds or gussets missing? Motor mounts in backwards?
Really need to find a good one and a bad one and tear them down side by side. I don't have a 1000 or I'd help. Anybody in the Missoula are got a problem with this give me a call, we might be able to find a solution."

I tend to agree with him and that's the reason I recommended swapping BOTH clutches between a known-good sled & a belt-eater... If the problem follows the clutches you KNOW it's in the clutching. If the problem stays with the belt-eater, I'd say it's in the chassis.

I figure that's one of the easiest/fastest/cheapest ways to troubleshoot this EPIC problem.

Make sense?

-Jeff

Yep - makes total sense. i may try this approach with my dealer. Hey - give me two clutches off a sled known not to eat belts and see if they eat belts on my sled.... if SO then we know there the problem is in the motor mounting or bulkhead, etc...

I'd agree that maybe this has to do with parallelism or something like that, but mine seems good to go on all those fronts????

I wonder if someone could setup a camera on clutches when climbing to what what the motor and clutches were doing??? Someone have ability and equipment to do this? i don't...

F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I thought about suggesting the camera idea. You would need a good high speed camera. Probably two of them pointed one at each clutch. My sled blows pieces of belt everywhere so the cameras would probably be junk after a belt unless they were protected somehow. I would be curious to see what is happening with clutch movement and belt travel.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Crazy stuff happening here. It's hard to understand two sleds set-up the same with the same measurements being that different on the belt. Performance yes, belts exploding no.

Since the ZR900, through the M7's, to today, the vibration felt in the running boards at speed is always an indication of the clutches slipping (usually the secondary there 'cause of the smaller circumference in high gears but it's probably slipping on the primary in low ratios too). The diamond drive transfers this to the chassis. Jackshaft didn't.

Change one thing at a time. Make your primary clutch control the rpm. Load your motor (through gearing, upshift) with the secondary.

Mrquick, you say you've tried every thing, but you still haven't dropped the weight a lot. This week your changing three big things. Maybe 4 if you have to set your deflection a lot different. How are you going to put all that data together. Sort of like shooting craps to me. Changing from proper alignment to something else to make up for clutching issues is silly IMO.

I like to think the simple answer to anything is usually correct, but .... happens. Maybe there is some major difference in the chassis in the production line. I certainly have experienced lots of assembly line errors on my sleds, casting problems (clutches) so bad it was seen by eye. Godda be minimum wage workers at AC, even my limited production HCR had simple everyday things like body parts installed wrong, rivet left in the airbox, brake disc machined wrong, one tie rod was treaded in all the way and one was out over 1/2", stripped from overtightening suspention nut. Where's the PRIDE I thought to myself. Could go on but what's the point. I am picky and my dealer is great, always right there to help (which is all they can do). But, there was never anything that my measuring stick couldn't find and hands and tools couldn't fix.

My point, there has to be a physical issue (not that many things there though, measure, look for broken stuff)) or your clutching is still out. You say even stock it ate belts. Was it ever stock, or was the pipe the first thing, or gearing, or engine management. You change that stuff and it`s a new world with something with the power of a 1000. MT8 guys change their clutching with the installation, usually with the kit makers recommendations, or they too would explode belts.

By the way, if youre hoping for an AC cure, I just had a 2010 800 out and it had a solid engine mount on the clutch side. When I got it it had 86 miles and one blown belt in the holder. Checked deflection (about 2.5 inches, big black marks on the primary LOL) and adjusted. Checked alignment ( toed in about 1 inch LOL) and adjusted, and went for a ride (did I say i was picky LOL). Pretty impressive with all the heat the clutches were making.

A little story about my experience this year (hopefully it will help you). Had a `08 SP M8 last year. Installed an SLP pipe set. Spent about 12 rides (3 to 4 hrs, 2hr play 1 to 2 hr adjust, one thing at a time, record to review later, getting old LOL) to dial clutching and boony box. Finished product awesome for me. Very happy. TWO BELTS 3500 mi.

`09 M8 next fall. Installed same stuff. Thought it would be good to go. Wrong. New track and engine (who knows what they change or the HP difference between the two) required me to tighten the helix and the primary spring (shims, funny thing is as I tightened the spring the rpm came down) to get the heat out and proper rpm. Different boony box number`s too (less fuel added in `09).

09 HCR. Installed the same stuff (should be good to go). Wrong. The clutches were smoking hot. It felt slower than my SP and was over revving. Track hooked up good though. Picked up some Dalton adjustables to add weight (HAVE to modify to fit M clutches) and get rid of the heat and over rev (right). Wrong. In a matter of one hour I added lots of wieght (so easy to add weight on adjustables it should be posted as a warning on the package LOL) (wont post numbers to protect the innocent LOL). Got to the point of cooking to bring rpm down. Pulled a string in 1000 ft on a new belt ( broken in for a 100 miles already) with the new heavy weight. Sound familiar. Put on a old trusty spare from M7 days (cause I never needed one before). Added a touch more weight LOL, POW one string slipped completely out in 500 ft. WTF. With all this weight added the rpm only changed like 50 or so and the heat just grew.

No more belts and 20 miles from the truck ( by myself like I do). Decided to ride back easy LOL. In about 10 miles of half throttle or less the belt exploded ( first time for me since DOO) just as I let off the throttle. Unstrung the clutches and put on the first belt and REALLY took it easy. Got back to truck (whew LOL), poked my finger in there onto a clutch sheave to check temp, YEOW, permanent scar LOL.

Next day took 3 (LOL) good belts (worn but good) and a infra red temp sensor (cause Im a technical guy LOL. Before I left I figured it had to be slipping on the secondary cause of all the weight in the primary, right, (or , and it went through my head too, somethings got to be screwed on my sled LOL) so I twisted up the tortional spring. Wrong. 3 miles from the truck, while still warming up the engine I pulled another string. Back to the truck, change the belt, take out the extra weight, untwist the tortional spring, and head up to elevation to start again (with only 2 belts left, oh no LOL).

This time I took a stiffer primary spring. Wrong. Put back the softer spring and took out weight untill there was just a empty hole. So now in less than 24hrs I've added and taken out a total of 8 grs. and my rpm has only changed about 60. F-----g adjustables. Just at the last couple of set screws rpm started to drop a bit (yeah thats right less weight started to drop the rpm) and the temp was way less. Mph increased some put seat of the pants feel increased huge.

Turns out I bought too heavy a weight set (Daltons are way more agressive in their weight distribution than stockers) and had to take some off at home to end up in the correct area. I took off another 2 gr. on the bench, added .8 in the field and loosened off the tortional some. Now I have the quickest sled I ever owned by far running 2.5 grs less than the same size engines of the two previous sleds (there is something special in those HCRs boxes) and have about 1000 more miles on that worn out belt from my 06 M7 LOL.

All this was done with no changes to static alignment (but big changes to running alignment obviously), that's what you would see running it up on a stand or trying to float a secondary)) or deflection.

Morals of the story, change one thing at a time (how confused would I be if I had changed helix, primary spring, alignment,... too), sometimes less is more, trust your measuring stick, let the primary control the rpm,sometimes it is something you have changed and not ACs fault, every sled is different, and most important, usually it's something simple.

Geo

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
to respond to your questions - i've taken off 4.5 grams at each weight so far. you are right in saying i should try even less though...

As for the changes i'm going to make just ONE at time.

Easy to do - the only change i'm making at home is the helix.

Alignment will stay as stock as it was before - however, i now at least have the option to run the secondary in to see if that was the problem...

I'll then try the SLP primary spring - same rates as stock first, but smaller diameter, and then check the stiffer one to see if i like it... all one change at a time. this is just to see if the spring won't hang up with SLP versions - as i didn't want to cut my primary down just yet.

I also decided against the M7 stopper install for now as well - as i could be changing two things at once by installing it along with the helix.

Deflection will be set the same way everytime, just how you and I talked about it...

I think i got the method down.

i am about to pull the trigger on adjustable weights, but i kept thinking that i was almost there so i didn't buy any plus i was just plan pissed about spending that big of chunk of $$$ after all the other stuff i've bought.

as for running this sled bone stock - yep i did. i like the baseline testing. I ran bone stock first. then added a can, then added the intake and bd box next, and then the SLP pipe set, then the RKT torsion kit, then the DD lite and lowering gearing, then i pulled off 3g per weight, and then another 1.5 grams after that, and then all of the other various clutching changes, one change at a time - EXCEPT for last time when i changed the secondary back to stock compression type clutching and decided to start over from scratch with the clutching, luckily i owned all those parts already...

and this time, it will be one change at a time again... the bummer here is that pulled threads all through this season no matter the changes - one freak belt explosion on the trail (bad belt or RKT kit with no stopper, we'll never know) and only one real full belt delamination up in Whistler. besides that, just a lot of thread pulling to the point i won't run those belts anymore, though i keep them for spares just to get back to the truck.

I know i'm wasting my changing too many things at once, so i haven't been - and i also ride with other people so i try not to ruin their time riding too. I've been on the other end too and it stinks...

So, hopefully i've been going about this correctly and will at sometime find the solution. My clutching has vastly improved over stock though, and i'm happy for that.

maybe this would be different if you were working with a sled SO many people were having issues with too??? M8s seem much easier on belts, my M7 sure was...

I guess you are right though Geo - i could go crazy and drop a ton of weight in the primary - i've just been pissed that i've gone to these lengths to stop this problem AND still haven't even slowed it DOWN. I shouldn't have had to do much of anything to keep a belt in it... optimizing performance is one thing - but destroying belts every ride is another...

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Update - i'll post here and bring my other specific clutching thread backup to date...

So today was the first time EVER i've not pulled cord while riding with a brand new belt... i made just a few changes and overall the clutching doesn't feel quite as good as before BUT my rpms are down too.

CHANGES - all i did this week was change my helix - went from a 39/35 progressive to a 42/36 progressive. i wanted to try a bigger helix and see if kept my backshift and what other changes i could notice. Backshift was a quick as ever (meaning i like it) and heat actually seemed DOWN over the RKT kit and the 39/35 helix with compression spring.

I set my deflection per the book and i every time i came back to adding a .030" shim (well for me it was actually two .060 shims PLUS the .030 as i cut a .120 off already to give me the option of running it in...)

I also tried the stiffer the SLP spring and hung worse than the AC spring and i didn't like how shifted... went back to the trust ylw/wht steel and still like it best so far.

My only complaint with this setup is that i know my weights are too heavy still. I'll be ordering up some CPC adjustables here soon as i need the option run less weight...

For now though - AT LEAST I DIDN'T RUIN a belt!!! :D

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Update - i'll post here and bring my other specific clutching thread backup to date...

So today was the first time EVER i've not pulled cord while riding with a brand new belt... i made just a few changes and overall the clutching doesn't feel quite as good as before BUT my rpms are down too.

CHANGES - all i did this week was change my helix - went from a 39/35 progressive to a 42/36 progressive. i wanted to try a bigger helix and see if kept my backshift and what other changes i could notice. Backshift was a quick as ever (meaning i like it) and heat actually seemed DOWN over the RKT kit and the 39/35 helix with compression spring.

I set my deflection per the book and i every time i came back to adding a .030" shim (well for me it was actually two .060 shims PLUS the .030 as i cut a .120 off already to give me the option of running it in...)

I also tried the stiffer the SLP spring and hung worse than the AC spring and i didn't like how shifted... went back to the trust ylw/wht steel and still like it best so far.

My only complaint with this setup is that i know my weights are too heavy still. I'll be ordering up some CPC adjustables here soon as i need the option run less weight...

For now though - AT LEAST I DIDN'T RUIN a belt!!! :D

what elevation where you riding at, and what weights and rpm where you running.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
what elevation where you riding at, and what weights and rpm where you running.

i'm still running the 80g cat light tips that have been heel ground to 78.5...

i was riding anywhere between 5000 to 7000ft this weekend...

was only pulling 7450 though - definitely need a litte more rpm out of this setup.

Funny, i tried the SLP blue/pink spring which didn't change the engagement (still 3700 ish) but has a bit higher 2.5" lbs rating and i didn't gain ANY rpm. my scenario is matching what Geo found in his post above - stiffer springs just effect the bottom end and mid shift, rpms still the same. i also messed with my spring preload on the secondary and found spinning the orange spring in a turn made the clutching a little better in my snow conditions too (Spring crusty snow, VERY wind blown with some pockets of DEEP blow in).

I'll be pulling weight off for sure. Thinking 75g to start???

Last edited:
Just for an update, I have made some changes and the belt life seems to be improved, I rode it hard in the deep powder and the belt still looks new. The changes were lighter springs in both clutches and a progressive helix, I have a bog from he!! when I go from idle to wot but I hear its probably a lean problem and I'll need a fuel controller to fix that. So another couple hundred bucks and almost all the factory parts gone, the only things left are the sheaves. I also opened up the primary spring cup because the spring was hanging up. So hammer me all you want I had no clutch experience going into this and thanks to HELPFUL people on here I have worked through the problems. The sled rips now and I am finally starting to like it. Thanks again to the fellas out there who helped out.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
i'm still running the 80g cat light tips that have been heel ground to 78.5...

i was riding anywhere between 5000 to 7000ft this weekend...

was only pulling 7450 though - definitely need a litte more rpm out of this setup.

Funny, i tried the SLP blue/pink spring which didn't change the engagement (still 3700 ish) but has a bit higher 2.5" lbs rating and i didn't gain ANY rpm. my scenario is matching what Geo found in his post above - stiffer springs just effect the bottom end and mid shift, rpms still the same. i also messed with my spring preload on the secondary and found spinning the orange spring in a turn made the clutching a little better in my snow conditions too (Spring crusty snow, VERY wind blown with some pockets of DEEP blow in).

I'll be pulling weight off for sure. Thinking 75g to start???

seems like a lot of weight, I was running a green/wht in the primary(not sure whos it was the dealer put it in and said it was stiffer) 77g AC weights and stock secondary, and pull over 7450rpm at 9000ft with 46 belt(060 belt dropped it to 7300rpm). then droped the weight to 75g and pulling over 7550 at 9000 with 46. dropped to 6000ft and pulling 7630rpm with either belt.

Premium Features