• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski doo 800 summit or AC Mtn Cat/1M??

W
Nov 20, 2008
Hey guys, I'm in the process of buying a newer sled. Budget is tight so I'd like to keep it close to $2500 or so. I see alot of '01-'03 Ski Doo summit 800's with 151"s and also '02-'04 Arctic Cat 1M's or Mtn Cats in 800/900 with the 151" or 159" in my price range. They both seem to be pretty solid and reliable sleds. What are you experiences between these two sleds? We ride snowy range only, so a mix of trails and boondocking, no climbing at all. I want something that is easy to throw around and carve with but I'm a big guy at 6'3" so I would guess both would do that fine. Any advice, experience, etc between these sleds would be appreciated. Reliablity is a big factor also.
Thanks!

W
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah I've seen alot of those. I think I'd rather have a stock engine with no mods for the reliability aspect though. Just trying to figure out the differences between these 2 sleds and which would be better for me.
Thanks

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My vote is for the skidoo. Good dependable sleds and I like the way they ride and handle. The only mtn cats I have ridden were from the late 90's and I didn't like them, they Handled like tanks. Don't forget about polaris.
If ur not going to climb u might want to keep the track 144 or under for more fun. I still like to jump on a short track and play around so long as there are no hill climbs through the trees. Lol

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The cat 900 is bullet proof !! but, if you cant find a 03 1/2 or newer go with the ski doo. That is when cat did the drop and roll chaincase. It isnt even the same sled with out it! I LOVE my 900 cat. they have a cult like following still. Even better get a rev chassis and stick a 900 cat motor in it !! best of both worlds. If if comes down to a rev chassis or a 1m chassis go ski doo. that is a great chassis. but if your are looking at 02 doos, then go with the 04 cat 900. And the EFI 900 will run circles around the carb 900. I have owned them both.

D

deep_doo

Nov 30, 2007
Sheridan
i would say if your going to stay off the hills and deep stuff try looking at a yamaha mtn max very good trail sled and will last as long as mount rushmore.

J

Jeramya

Sep 29, 2011
Caldwell,Id
I was looking at the same situation last year, but was looking between a zx chasis ski doo and a polaris but ended up with a 1m 900. The 1m is pretty easy and fun sled to ride plenty of power and reliable. I have rode a 02 MC 800 and was very similar to my 900 to ride. My only experience on a zx chasis was a air cooled sled was a fine sled to ride around on for what it was. I did read there was a year or two that the 800 summit had a crank issue I was mostly looking at 700s. I would personaly recomend looking at both and sitting on them and get a good feel, theres alot of info on both of these sleds around. Sorry for the long post.

S
2005 800 Summit X The best sled I ever owned. If you like a sled you can side hill on this is the one. The 159 will do anything you want. Jumping might be a little hard on the rails. Goes most any where in deep snow. Great for boondocking. Good luck

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I owned an 03 ZX chassis 800 H.O. 151" only motor mod was a can. Loved the sled but the piston skirt broke off at 1600 miles and shot out of the bottom of the crank...only thing salvageable was the head. If you are looking at ski-doo's I believe you want to look at 02+, they changed the mounting locations of the rear suspensions in 02 and the same rails that were used for a 151 in 01 are used for a 159 in 02. Fun sled...sucks it died on me.
Just thought I would share my experience with the summit.
Good Luck!

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
if you go with the ski-doo, try for the 03. the carbs on the 02s are not very adjustable and are kinda a pain. other wise they are great sleds. my step dad has had an 02 800 since pretty much new. has only put one top end on it and thats it. his is even fairly moded out, and still been very reliable. pull and go. been an awsome sled. probably over 6,000 miles on it so far.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
With the 2 sleds your talking about, I'd say just go for whatever one you can get the best deal on. I've owned both, and they both ride about the same. You should be able to get into a 05 Rev for around 3grand, and you'll be allot happier. Especially someone your size. Much easier to go from sitting to standing with the rider forward. The ride on the 1M down the road is horrible also. Plan on upgrading the suspension if you go that way.

W
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the input guys, that really helps. My ideal sled would be an M7 or Rev 800, but Its been tough to find one in my price range. Keep looking I guess.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Ive owned both sleds. The 1M 900 will have way more power than the doo 800 ever dreamed. Find a good condition king kat. Best sled you will ever own in your price range and the 900 motor is bullet proof.

rmk156

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Edgerton MN
I've ridden both......ZX over the Mtn cat... For handling "All day long"...Agreed the you will find it hard to beat the power of the King Cat.. But in the trees that ZX is alot more fun...
If you can, Go with the M7, That would be my choice...Best of both worlds...

Justsayen

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Like you where thinking a rev or m series would be nice, if you can't get in that range I say a 800/900 efi cat over the zx, just watch out for the 01 cat 800 they had recall pistons, but so did a lot of doos that year. Not sure about 02's. I have seen a 03 800 cat do some impressive things.

Premium Features