• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sealing the DD??

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
So I went to go change my DD oil and I just took the cover off so I could still check out all the guts (it was clean inside:D) but didnt have to pull it all the way out. This is my first time with the DD being new to cat this year so im not too familiar with it yet.

Anyway I just had a question on putting the cover back on. I was told just to use RTV silicone to seal it, but it seems like there should be a better way to me. When you squish it together (tighten the torque bolts) wont some of the silicone get inside the case?? Is there a gasket I can get for it??
Thanks in advance
MarcS

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
yea they have a gasket now for them...but i just really cleaned the surface and appied a thin film to both surfaces and let set up a few minutes and a great seal...i used the copper high heat orange silicone and like i said...thin apllications on both surfaces and none will squeeze in...the permatex red gasket spray is good stuff as well

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
yea they have a gasket now for them...but i just really cleaned the surface and appied a thin film to both surfaces and let set up a few minutes and a great seal...i used the copper high heat orange silicone and like i said...thin apllications on both surfaces and none will squeeze in...the permatex red gasket spray is good stuff as well

Ok thanks, I think I might try to get that gasket. too bad nobody's open sun and mon :(. Anybody know of dealer in Spokane that would carry these? The one dealer in Colville had never heard of them

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
1211, yamabond, or the above mentioned loctight sealers.
If you buy the gasket, you need the gasket kit.
The kit consists of shims to take up the gap that the gasket leaves.
I would not install a gasket without the proper shims.
Just get some good sealer and forget the gasket... A thin film is all it takes.

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
Thanks I wasnt aware shims that shims were needed. I will be using the gasket eliminator or the yamabond. I appreciate all the help!
MarcS

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Gear case gasket kits... P/n's 2602-191 and 2602-192
2602-190 2 25mm spacers "25mm I beleive is a misprint?"
4639-628 1 12 oz bottle dd fluid
2602-174 1 m series/crossfire gasket
2602-183 1 F series gasket
1653-499 i instruction

S
Dec 16, 2007
Hayden, ID
it's a piece of cake to install the gasket kit with the shims, the shims are two big washers , that's it. The silicone does'nt always work well, that is why the factory started using the gasket kits. good luck

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Well now im not sure which way to go :confused: lol

I think you are over thinking this. I've been using black RTV for years and never had a problem. I RTV the case side with a small bead, set the cover on with just a couple screws started to keep it lined up, let it sit an hour or so then come back and screw it together. If I have time I wait 24 hours to fill it up with oil but if I don't have the time I wait as long as I can then fill it up and put it back on the sled. I change the oil every 500 miles or so and have done this routine several time with no issues.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
If you have sealer, just seal it up and run it IMO.
Mine started to seep from the case halves so the dealer installed the gasket/shim kit.
If yours was not leaking, the sealer should work just fine.

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
I will probably just use some sealer this time, and see if it leaks or not then go from there. thanks for all the input. Sounds like both ways work

M

M-niner

Nov 27, 2007
Black Hills, SD
So I went to go change my DD oil and I just took the cover off so I could still check out all the guts (it was clean inside:D) but didnt have to pull it all the way out. This is my first time with the DD being new to cat this year so im not too familiar with it yet.

Anyway I just had a question on putting the cover back on. I was told just to use RTV silicone to seal it, but it seems like there should be a better way to me. When you squish it together (tighten the torque bolts) wont some of the silicone get inside the case?? Is there a gasket I can get for it??
Thanks in advance
MarcS

I am gonna throw another angle out there for ya since you are new to Cat and Diamond Drives. I will probably get thrown to the wolves for this, but why did you split your DD open? Especially if you found it clean. I have over 4000 miles on my DD with 4 fluid changes and no problems yet. Have never split the case. I know others who have over 5000 miles with a few fluid changes and no problems and they haven't opened their's up. I do know of 2 guys I ride with that used to split theirs open once a year. 06 M's only hold 3ounces of fluid and you are not gonna know that 3 ounces has leaked out if you didn't get it sealed because its gonna be too late. Both lost DD's because of seal issues after splitting the case. Different strokes for different folks, just my .02.

M
Feb 20, 2008
Spokane
I am gonna throw another angle out there for ya since you are new to Cat and Diamond Drives. I will probably get thrown to the wolves for this, but why did you split your DD open? Especially if you found it clean. I have over 4000 miles on my DD with 4 fluid changes and no problems yet. Have never split the case. I know others who have over 5000 miles with a few fluid changes and no problems and they haven't opened their's up. I do know of 2 guys I ride with that used to split theirs open once a year. 06 M's only hold 3ounces of fluid and you are not gonna know that 3 ounces has leaked out if you didn't get it sealed because its gonna be too late. Both lost DD's because of seal issues after splitting the case. Different strokes for different folks, just my .02.

I kind of wish I wouldnt of but my main reasoning for splitting it was to make sure nothing was wearing anywhere and to just see what the inside looked like and how they worked as I hadnt taken one apart yet. I think most guys take them all the way apart so that they can clean it out good because I have seen some pictures of them when guys take them apart and they are nasty! and need to be taken apart so they can get carb cleaner or something similar in there and get them clean.

Premium Features