• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Problems with 1998 700 RMK

H
Jan 19, 2008
New Meadows ID
Does anyone own a 1998 700 RMK. I have owned one for 4 years and have had nothing but trouble with it. I have a low end bog that won't go away. might possibly sell it. any help would be appreciated.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
got one with over 6000 miles and havent touched the bottom end. I had a bog too but did some clutching and installed slp power packs and it runs great.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
for 7-11000 i am running almond primay, 10-56, 19/40 gears, 48/36 slp helix with yellow/purple spring. i am running slp twins now. was running slp single. also check needle clip position and number some sleds liked the CEN needle. i usually run position 3-4 with the single. just put the twins on so got to see how it runs. changed needles to the den as per slp recomendations. also am running psi dial a dome head with 125 psi compression at 8000 feet. i have a stock milled head i can give ya if you run above 6000 feet it help alot before i went to the psi. the slp power packs for the carbs are a must.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I've got a set of power packs sitting in my cabinet you can have for the cost of shipping. As others have said, they really do help. I know longer own a sled with Keihins on it so they are just collecting dust.

sled_guy

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
I have a 97 rmk 700, it bogs a little until 6000rpm... then it really wakes up.

I jsut had the clutching done, I brought it back to stockish clutching so it full engages at 3800rpm.

before, when i got the clutching done I had an almond square, I'd have to look at what weights, but i had no bogging... just sucked for trail riding. With the almost square main spring the clutch would engage betwen 4500 and 4800rpm.

bogs

Ok here is my scoop on your problem. Bogs to me are carb issues. Lean it out a little jets or needles, whatever. Try needles first. If your sled is at low speed and you nail it and it bogs well then you could be looking at clutching. I have a 99 700 I jetted, put some Boysen reeds in, lowered the clip and put on a boost bottle. Since your sled in the RMK I wouldn't worry about the jetting. I would try the boost bottle first then reeds then needles. These are good sleds just may need a little fine tuning.

A
Jan 8, 2008
I've got a set of power packs sitting in my cabinet you can have for the cost of shipping. As others have said, they really do help. I know longer own a sled with Keihins on it so they are just collecting dust.

sled_guy

If nobody else wants to pony up the money for shipping I would and i'll send you some smoked salmon back in the box.

Tim

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Dammit.. I was gonna make a similar deal... but borders and meat.. ummm yeah...

heh

S
Jan 15, 2008
PNW
i ride one. never had any problems with it.

my best guess is the clutching and/or jetting might be wack. when you ride do you get really poor mileage? does it smell rich?

A
Jan 8, 2008
The boost bottle really cleaned-up my 1999 700. If I recall the 98 altitude compensator gadget thingy gave lots of people problems and most took it off.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
98s didn't have altitude compensators.

1998Polaris700144"track, you are in Idaho. You need to tell us what your setup is... stock exhaust or pipes? I live in Utah and I just dug out my tuning notes on my '98. It was ported by Carl's Cycle and I ran SLP twins. I was at 172/175 on the mains (mag richer) with 38 pilots, air screw at 1 turn and needle 1 clip lean. I used the stock needle in mine.

I'll send the powerpacks off to you tomorrow.

sled_guy

polar765

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Yakima Wa
the 98 700 s came out with 2 different barrels ,the 220 had more radical porting than the other ,can't remember for sure the other # ,I rode mine for 5 years always bogged low end ,went through 2 engines ,did not like the suspension ,tried different shocks ,also if you run a boost bottle they have a tendency to crack the carb boots leaning out the engine ,might check that ,also the bogging got worse just before the CDI went out ,other than that they are fast

S
Dec 5, 2007
I have a questions about the power packs. Do they really work? Is there that much of a difference in throttle response. I have a 98 RMK 700 but it runs great. Sometimes has a little low end bog but I think that may be jetting. Are the power packs easy to install and is there a risk of leaning the sled out with them on. Any help on the power packs would be great.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I have a questions about the power packs. Do they really work? Is there that much of a difference in throttle response. I have a 98 RMK 700 but it runs great. Sometimes has a little low end bog but I think that may be jetting. Are the power packs easy to install and is there a risk of leaning the sled out with them on. Any help on the power packs would be great.

yes they do help put them in 3 diff. sleds and noticeable improvements each time

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
The PP's are simple to install. Remove the carb and slide the plates into the carb throat. Reinstall the carb.
No need to adjust jetting, just will need to adjust the idle.
On my 98, it ran ok, but I could never get rid of that low end burble. It just didn't run clean down low. The PP's fixed that right up.
When I installed mine, the idle rpms, went up at least a 1000. Just goes to show that they change the air flow.

Premium Features