• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris making our 154hp 800HO 145hp?!?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I've said it before I really am not buying HP I'm buying performance and reliability, Polaris has always been below in HP but always performs with the best of em, some exceptions . If your 700 has 140 h's and my d8 has 144 why then can't you climb as high and why can I beat you in a drag race.
I read Dyno Tech all the time and only use the data to purchase things that have the most bang for the buck, HP is just a number, results are what counts, In stead of being so down on Poo think of the fact that you are out performing 155hp doos with only 144hp that is fun IMO.

It seems like lately it doesnt matter what the mfg. claimed hp #'s are, each sled is good enough to run with the other sleds in its class. Thats a cool thing to see bcuz you can pick the sled that feels right for you and it will perform with the other brands.

I hope you polaris 800 guys start having some better luck, and polaris actually figures something out for a reliable update.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Like has been said by others in different words. I could care less what they claim for hp. As long as my 800 continues to rip the way it has till now; (At least while it ran) ill be totally happy.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I tend to agree with comments about HP being nothing but a number. Performance talks and regardless about what mfrs claim for HP, the new 800 2-strokes are all fairly similar for performance. Many here and on other forums say when their 800s were "right", they ran very strong. The main worry everyone has is the reliability and Polaris is headed the right way with the new pistons and head. As far as the possibility of a change from 2 injectors to 4 - remember that Polaris was switching back and forth between sets of injectors for EMISSIONS reasons, not because it gave some boost in performance. There isn't any real reason why a 2-injector motor will run any different at WOT than a 4-injector motor unless the fuel calibration has changed. If it has been changed, then a fuel controller can change it back.

S
I feel that as long as its reliable I will go as fast and as high as I need and want to. I didn't get many miles last year on my 09 D8 but it never gave me a minutes trouble. I read that they didn't until more miles than I have but as long as the update works I'm good. I trust Polaris.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I feel that as long as its reliable I will go as fast and as high as I need and want to. I didn't get many miles last year on my 09 D8 but it never gave me a minutes trouble. I read that they didn't until more miles than I have but as long as the update works I'm good. I trust Polaris.

Really? Wow.

I trusted them on the XLT.
I trusted them on the Ultra.
I trusted them on the 800 bigblock.
I didn't trust them on the 900.
I trusted them on the new 800.

I don't know that I trust them any more.

sled_guy

P
Nov 27, 2007
I had an 05 fusion with the 2 injector system. The 06 900s have the 4 injector set up but i never once heard that there was a stumble transitioning from lower to upper injectors. Why is it different now? Tighter epa restrictions?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I ride with a couple Polaris riders and the 700's are right with the 800's with the most recent ecm flash. Many believe that the latest flash drops the power to near 145 HP as an attempt to prolong the motor life. I expect most won't notice the drop to 2 injectors now. And no, the Polaris 800 does not beat any Doo 800 in any drag race. Where the Polaris's shine is on long steep climbs where traction is no an issue. They seem to hold track speed where my Doo can be knocked off its power band with a deep rut or deep drift.

R
May 4, 2008
08 800 after rebuild

I bought my Dragon as a snowcheck in 08, I loved this sled as it ripped the hills apart. It seemed to compliment me and made me a lot better rider. IMO
First year went by great i did have the burping problem on elevation changes but once up on the hill it screamed.

Second ride of year 2 due to the now realized leaning out problem, the engine scored a piston. My sled fell within the numbers and as a result 100 % free (warranty) rebuild.

Now after the rebuild this sled has lost alot. It had the total rebuild package. New piston rings jug reflash etc. I didnt get in as many rides as i wanted to last year and never played around with it much. But as the only thing that has been changed was the engine, why the very noticable drop in performance. 8150 now top rpm where before 8350-8400. thats alot of top end grunt dropping out. Maybe it needs some clutching done now. But in my mind Polaris has gone alittle scared here and simply dropped the horse power back to avoid more warranty problems.

Dont get me wrong this sled is so much different than my old 03 RMK thats its still a dream to ride but this hp drop really ticks me off. Hopefully i can get some of this back with some clutch tuning but it seems like my Dragon firey breath and been put out some..

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Really? Wow.

I trusted them on the XLT.
I trusted them on the Ultra.
I trusted them on the 800 bigblock.
I didn't trust them on the 900.
I trusted them on the new 800.

I don't know that I trust them any more.

sled_guy

Exactly! It is always a wonder to me how Polaris managed to stay #1 for so many years. Their struggle right now is meeting emissions and they are not having much success. Their engine development program is in the toilet. Unless something drastic changes, I see them dropping to #3 in a short period of time.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Exactly! It is always a wonder to me how Polaris managed to stay #1 for so many years. Their struggle right now is meeting emissions and they are not having much success. Their engine development program is in the toilet. Unless something drastic changes, I see them dropping to #3 in a short period of time.

To be fair, the '98 700 was the most incredible stock/near stock sled I ever owned and it gave me 4500+ miles of flawless mountain riding before I sold it to buy the '00 800.

sled_guy

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
I'm with full monte and kraven on this one, just give me the new two ring pistons with nothing else and i will throw a fuel controller on it and be done. Any reason the new pistons would not work with the old head?

P
Nov 27, 2007
A fuel controller does not solve the problem. IT can blanket that lean spot a little but does not fix it. Many 800s still went down with them.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
What was wrong with the XLT's they rocked and went a long time unless you piped em; on the other hand you forgot the Storm, and super pooch- XCR-600 SP. But at those same time periods Cat and Doo had lots of losers too. As far as the controler fixing the problem it sure did. I'd like to here of those with failures on a new post with details

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Should the final fix be a two injector system. That would pretty much establish that Polaris was not able to replicate Doo's SDI system. They are missing a key component that allows for the 4 injector system to seamlessly switch between 2 and 4 injectors.

The problem isn't just limited to the 800. I've seen an '09 Dragon 600 have some runability issues. I think the 800 just pushed past the envelope of safe and reliable operation. I think they'd be on the right track to give up some HP for reliability. Like was said before, Polaris rarely has the most powerful engine, but they are always competitive due to clutching and drive train efficiency.

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
A fuel controller does not solve the problem. IT can blanket that lean spot a little but does not fix it. Many 800s still went down with them.

maybe not totally, but the lean spot is in a very narrow rpm range that with just a little throttle control it is very easy to stay out of it. not being able to cruise at a constant midrange rpm is not anything new. you are asking for it on most sleds. either go or stop...WFO and they rip.

also, i haven't heard of any going down with fuel controllers on here, not that if you don't hear about it on here it hasn't happened

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
maybe not totally, but the lean spot is in a very narrow rpm range that with just a little throttle control it is very easy to stay out of it. not being able to cruise at a constant midrange rpm is not anything new. you are asking for it on most sleds. either go or stop...WFO and they rip.

also, i haven't heard of any going down with fuel controllers on here, not that if you don't hear about it on here it hasn't happened

the controller does help and it seems that less mountain sleds have gone down compared to flat lander sleds but no matter which map i had uploaded into the pc III i was still able to find the bad stutter.

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
horsepower

Everybody just needs to wait and ride the sleds when the engines are done. They are gonna have plenty of power. Put a slp pipe on and a few other things and it will really run good.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs

I got so tired of dealing with this crap last season. It's not just a midrange thing, I watched my wideband go lean at WFO and it was very repeatable once I figured out the parameters. FYI, I had a controller on it.

Premium Features