• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 800 Questions

Nov 29, 2010
I recently purchased a Polaris 08 800 IQ with 1 year factory warranty. I had not heard much about the sled prior to purchasing it and was actually looking for a 600.
Now that I am looking it to it I am quite concerned regarding the multiple post and complaints with engine/mapping problems.
The sled has had all of the updaes including the recent Spring 2010 remap. Does anyone know how good this is yet?
If not what aftermarket products work best? I am sure they will void my warranty. I just want the sled to run well without any problems not looking for more horsepower or performance.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

cmill9

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Elk River
Does it have all internal updates (pistons, rings, etc...)? If not, have your Polaris dealer do them... Then spend the 350.00 or so on PC-5 and get a conservative map for how and where you ride from Dynotech research or SLP. Do this even if updates already done. Even with a conservative map you're gonna gain HP and drivability! IMO, this is the best $$$ spent for that sled.

Nov 29, 2010
Yes all updates are done (pistons etc.) Would you recommend waiting until after the warranty is up or go with the PC5 now?

cmill9

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Elk River
I guess that's kinda your call??? I personally put a PC-5 and SLP can on mine first thing. 2010 assault still under warranty (I think:) I hope I don't need it!!! Really though, I think you'll be happy (and safer) with a PC-5... Simple install and instructions to follow. There is also a great PC-5 thread on here for any ?s you might have! Look under performance/modified section to find the PC-5 thread. I hope this helps and best of luck!

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
check with your dealer and see if the slp single pipe kit and pc5 package will be warrantied. my pipe kit in my 09 assault did not void the warranty according to my dealer so that might be something you're interested in if your dealer says it's ok.

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
Install the PCV and if you have an issue remove the controller and the velcro before you go to the dealer. There is no way to tell that the PCV was on the sled.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
If you're concerned with keeping the warranty in tact AND trying to prolong the life of the motor then here's what I would doo.

1) Run the stock exhaust system with an SLP can. The SLP can is approved by Polaris and is preferred. after your warranty is up, I'd definately install the SLP pipe.

2) Purchase a PowerCommander 5 from SLP with their map. The PCV is litterally a 5 minute install or removal so removal before a dealer visit is as simple as pie. The PCV will help the performance and longevity of the engine far more than anything else.

3) If the sled is an 08, I'd strongly recommend updating the airbox to an 09. The 08 airboxes have the goofy snap together piece that attaches to the throttle bodies/airbox in an attempt at making removal and installation of the airbox easier. The problem with the design is that it allows much more belt dust into the motor than the 09 style does which is the reason for the design change.

3) Thorougly warm up the sled before riding! I do not engage my clutch until my sled has reached 120'F. I see this everytime I ride, people jumping on a cold sled and flying down the road.

4) Add a pint of oil to each tank of gas. This motor needs all the help it can get. My sled has an issue of repeatedly getting air into the lines from what I believe of being an inferior oil tank/vent/line/pump assembly.

I wonder how many of these engines going down we read about are the result of this.

Premium Features