• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

One Cylinder over fueling,any ideas???

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
I have an 07 M1000 with a boondocker turbo kit,with PureLogic box exchanged from BD box.I got the ecu wet and eat a piston,so I replaced both pistons & rings,jugs are good(compression tested to 115psi = both sides).Also checked out reeds,replaced them while it was apart.
So the problem as stated was it runs and idles just fine,you can bring the rpm's up to a certain point,then the mag side goes way down on egt to 300*,but if you feather through it and get the rpm up enough to spool it up,it will burn off the excess fuel and pull good,but once the egts cool down abit,if you hit the throttle,it falls on its face again.If you keep it on the pipe,its not bad,but oviously something is wrong.
Once I first got it all back together and running,the 1-7 code came up,so I changed out the exhaust temp sensor,now,no more codes.Any ideas or experiences with this.I have egts,a/f,& fuel press.gauge to monitor everything,fuel pressure is at 40psi + on boost.Just seems to be flooding on side.I'm thinking injectors or coil failure,but there are no check engine codes,so could ECU be pouched,whats next??? I'm going to change out ecu and see what that does but shouldn't there be a code if ECU is faulty?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
one side usually runs cooler than the other. The side that is not falling off is prob just enough hotter to keep it from dropping. take some fuel away in that rpm. not sure how that fuel controller works so good luck. If it has low mid and high settings, you want to correct it in the right area, such as if it does it when you punch it you would take away fuel in the right rpm in mid and high.
Have you tried new plugs.

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
Yes I've replaced the plugs a few times.I forgot to mention,that it is very hard on fuel consumption also,obviously from inefficient fuel burning.Thats why I thought of reeds or possibly injector???

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
If box has wrong programming it won't work, unplug injectors from box and plug stock ends to injectors and run sled gently and see if problem goes away, you should see your egts stabilize if the box is problem. Very unlikely that the ECU is problem. Other thing to check is swap injectors side to side and see if problem follows injector. Pintle may be stuck slightly open allowing excess fuel flow. Fuel consumption should be low on that setup unless you are under boost. My TTM12 burns less fuel than a stock M8 on the same ride.

B
Jan 21, 2008
im having the exact same problem with my 07 tm8, it has a bd race gas setup, let me know if you figure anything out and ill do the same, at this point i have no idea what is wrong

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
when it happens it there a certain rpm that it seems to happen all the time at?? or just when it gets ready to come on boost hard?.. when it happens what afr you reading??

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Hey WYO I really do burn less fuel and run A/F at about 13.5 on trail and at 11.5 to 12.5 on boost. Remember the clutch weights I run make RPM on trail at 40 mph at about 5000 RPM. I only run 5 lbs of boost and this thing will stay even with a race gas 1000 at 12 lbs and eat the Race gas M8s. Not bragging just stating what my machine will do. I am very happy with it and love the look on other guys faces when they get off it after riding it and look at what they are riding. Power is a wonderful thing. If I was running full throttle all day long I would only get about 2 hrs of riding but in a normal ride I average 1/4 throttle all day.

R
my m7 is all stock i had the problem where mine idled great then would cut to one.I found out mine had 2 reeds that were busted 1 was just starting and the other had a big chunk missing outta it.Check those out ,never know

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Hey WYO I really do burn less fuel and run A/F at about 13.5 on trail and at 11.5 to 12.5 on boost. Remember the clutch weights I run make RPM on trail at 40 mph at about 5000 RPM. I only run 5 lbs of boost and this thing will stay even with a race gas 1000 at 12 lbs and eat the Race gas M8s. Not bragging just stating what my machine will do. I am very happy with it and love the look on other guys faces when they get off it after riding it and look at what they are riding. Power is a wonderful thing. If I was running full throttle all day long I would only get about 2 hrs of riding but in a normal ride I average 1/4 throttle all day.

I believe you just want to see it, what kit are you running and who set it up. It sounds exactly what I would like to have.

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
I by passed the PL box and the problem still exists,the wires are a b!tch to swap from one side to the other,so I'll try and just swap injectors from one side to the other.
I did replace the reeds in my search to figure this out.I don't believe it is the ecu,but maybe a bad pin in the plug of the ecu,but if it were ecu related,wouldn't a code come up???
As far as what rpm this happens,it is usually when the motor just starts to work,usually around 5500-6000rpm,but sometimes sooner,seems to be different at different motor temps???? I'll keep trying different things.
If by chance it happened to be ecu,can they be repaired or are they nfg???

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Re-read your first post, you are basing all this on EGTs? I ditched the egt and went strictly off A/F as my readings were sometimes so high that would indicate I should have burnt a cylinder and all was ok. Does piston wash or Y-pipe colour indicate a problem with one side or the other being different in appearance? If flooding one side it should show different colour.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
i had the same problem on an 09 m8 sp with pl box and digi. the problem was i had the ground for the pl box and the digi in the same spot. i relocated one of the grounds and the problem went away

E

ESCAPE TIME

Dec 8, 2003
Lethbridge, AB
The sled ran fine with the set up for six or seven rides,then I freshined up the pistons and this problem started to occur with the one side.The sled doesn't run clean,so if I used egt's or a/f,it doesn't matter,I refer to both,but even with out either,you know something is wrong.

catsclimbtrees

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Sherwood Park, Alberta
this happened to my '07 right after they did the first reflash, I got the 2nd reflash and it cleaned up, but about the same time, my sensor in the pipe crapped out. I think it is either problem. My Mag side would flood at around 5-6000 rpm, right before the p/v's opened. I could feather the throttle and get it cleaned up and then it was no problem. My advice to you is get the next ecu reflash and check the exaust sensor.

Premium Features