• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New sled question

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
Ok, here's the deal. Need to buy a new sled. (Don't Ask) anyway I want an M1000. I rode an '09 over the weekend and thought it was exactly what I was looking for. Is there a big difference from an '08 to an '09? Reason I ask is I have found identical sleds M1000 162 sno pros but the price difference is huge. '09 is $9999 and I can buy the '08 for $7122 both brand new, only difference is the year. That's a difference of over $2800. I know the '09 has the cool telescoping bars and a perc reverse but is it worth the additional money? Any thoughts? Any better prices out there? Have cash in hand. Thanks

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Spend the extra money! The reverse alone is worth it, but you are also getting the Powerclaw track, and the improved tunnel. If you buy the 08 you will be wishing you spent the coin and got the 09. Just my .02

O
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Depends on how much reverse and telescoping handlebars are worth to you. You are going to want to gear down anyway, so here is what I would do.

Buy the 08, put the DD-lite on with lower gears (57/63 or 56/64), and while you are at it put on a power claw track and a 2-wheel kit. You will lose around 14 lbs doing this, but will also lose reverse. You can then sell the oringal track and the orignal diamond drive (you won't get much for the track, but the DD's sell for good money - especially a new one). If you want you can also add the BD-Xtreme tunnel modification like the 09's have for around $200 (also lose a little more weight). The dealer should do the update to the 08 reprogramming the computer, etc as part of the deal. Also put on a 2 or 3" handlebar riser. My buddy has an 09 with the telescopic handlebars, and they are cool, but after the first couple of rides he has just left them in the same place so what's the point.

So at the end of the day you will have an 08 that is almost as light as an 09 and has most of the same features (except reverse and the telescoping handlebars), and you will still have $2000 in your pocket. I guarantee in 3-4 years when you go to sell it that an 09 will not bring $2000 more than an 08 with the mods listed above.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I had the same dilemma and bought the 2009.

The telescoping VSB bars are cool but, it's the 22 lbs weight loss between the years that pushed me to the 2009.

Google 2009 M1000 reviews or testing and you'll see that most of the magazines say the they they don't even seem like the same sleds. The 09's just work that much better.

I ended up selecting a 09 M8 after riding both that and the 09 M1000 but, it's your call.

Good luck

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I had the same dilemma and bought the 2009.

The telescoping VSB bars are cool but, it's the 22 lbs weight loss between the years that pushed me to the 2009.

Google 2009 M1000 reviews or testing and you'll see that most of the magazines say the they they don't even seem like the same sleds. The 09's just work that much better.

I ended up selecting a 09 M8 after riding both that and the 09 M1000 but, it's your call.

Good luck

Frosty

It's good to here you got on a new sled! Can't wait to here some reviews.

But don't you think you can get more than a 22 pound weight loss with 2800 extra dollars. I know the 09's are working great but i have to think with some bdx parts you can get an 08 pretty light. I could be wrong but it makes sense to me:confused:

B
Nov 26, 2007
Frosty

It's good to here you got on a new sled! Can't wait to here some reviews.

But don't you think you can get more than a 22 pound weight loss with 2800 extra dollars. I know the 09's are working great but i have to think with some bdx parts you can get an 08 pretty light. I could be wrong but it makes sense to me:confused:

i totally understand your thinking... but you'd end up with an 08 that cost as much as the 09, so what's the point???

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
i totally understand your thinking... but you'd end up with an 08 that cost as much as the 09, so what's the point???

You end up with a cooler sled that will be worth more money in the long run. If you are into leaving stuff stock buy the 09. If you want to make a sled the way YOU want it buy an 08 trick it out with the things you like. It will be as light as the 09 and probably function just as good probably better. 2800 is alot of money that you could spend on making the sled you always wanted. And the 08 has cooler graphics in my opinion
:face-icon-small-ton:beer;:beer;

09 all the way. the track is awsome! also the newer light reverse. i rode an 08 m1000 it just seemed like a pig, i bought an 09 m1000 and it feels light a nimble just like my m7 did. spend the extra money!

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
So at the end of the day you will have an 08 that is almost as light as an 09 and has most of the same features (except reverse and the telescoping handlebars, the Powerclaw track, and the improved tunnel... and don't forget the cool LED tail lights!!! :D), and you will still have $2000 in your pocket. I guarantee in 3-4 years when you go to sell it that an 09 will not bring $2000 more than an 08 with the mods listed above.

ya left out some items.....

Last edited:
B

Bounty Hunter

Nov 27, 2007
colorado/ Glenwood Springs
Save money

I would buy a 09. There is no comparison, but talk to the dealer about the sale. Dealer out inthe west will sell them foe cost. Cat is giving the cash back. Also next week the cat show is in Las Vegas. So Wait and work them.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
With the 2800.00 you could easily loose the weight,boss seat (8lbs),bdx dd light (no reverse 11lbs)or just change the gears and keep 08 style either way it will be way better than stock 09 which you are going to want to change anyways,timbersled intake (8lbs),can(mbrp 10 lbs),powerclaw if your gonna ride in the deep stock challenger works good but not the greatest, 2 wheel kit (say 2 lbs), pro light tunnel kit (bdx), venting, you are now lighter and got more power for around the same price if you can do the work yourself thats 37 lbs give or take a few 27 you keep improved dd w reverse, this is the way i went with m8 did i make the right choice ??? but i am happy thats what matters to me and my sled kicks ***!!!

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've had a new 1000 each year they've made them, the 09 is a vastly different (better) sled than the previous years....handling, engine response, weight, reverse (not just the weight, but dependability), no comparison...it's not just the money, the satisfaction of riding the sled is significant (that's what we spend our money for).....if you want to rebuild the 08 to achieve what the 09 is, you will probably find the money actually saved versus the time and agrivation and problems you run into will not be worth it......love my 09, best sled overall i've ever had.........

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I think if you buy the 08 M1000 you get a free track swap to the Powerclaw, its on Cat's Website. Also a 2 year warranty +1000.00 rebate or 1500.00 rebate and 1 yr warranty. Either option you get a free Powerclaw track swap!

I am skeptical on the 08 Diamond Drive reverse, I would swap for the DD Light setup, but that takes away reverse. It you want lightweight, reliable reverse go with the 2009

Which Dealer are you working with?

John

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
i've had a new 1000 each year they've made them, the 09 is a vastly different (better) sled than the previous years....handling, engine response, weight, reverse (not just the weight, but dependability), no comparison...it's not just the money, the satisfaction of riding the sled is significant (that's what we spend our money for).....if you want to rebuild the 08 to achieve what the 09 is, you will probably find the money actually saved versus the time and agrivation and problems you run into will not be worth it......love my 09, best sled overall i've ever had.........

Your probably right slyrydr if i had a 09 i would maybe feel the same i couldn't see a stocker beating me though, but they are great and all the improvements are worth it looking back i would have bought a 09 and did the mods to it.

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
'08 vs. '09

Well, lots of interesting comments. My thoughts are I would do the same mods to either sled so that is why I am considering the '08. The reverse would be nice but not a deal breaker. Would rather have the weight savings. I like the '08 graphics better but that to is not a deal breaker. The telescoping bars are cool at first but I have always just had risers and they are only in one place so they are maybe cool but not very neccesary. When it comes time to sell they all bring next to nothing so that is the biggest factor in the $2800 savings. Any mods really bring nothing so I never count on getting any money back from them. I find it hard to believe that the '09 would handle so much different than an '08 but maybe they do. $2800 goes a long ways, and as of right now I am leaning towards the '08 but am going to wait until Tues. as a couple of dealers told me there will be huge incentives on the leftover '09's. It seems there are alot of '09's at the factory waiting to be sold. Anymore comments I would like to hear them, especially from someone who has had both. Thanks

S

superfast

Nov 26, 2007
Billings Montana
Well I was very impressed with the 09 m8 that my buddy purchased that thing just seemed to keep clawing and digging its way everywhere he wanted it to. then we went to the scales I have a slightly modded m7 can, boss seat, two wheel kit, removed all bogey wheels, intake, removed all insulation and what not under the hood, I came in wet ready to ride with everything I ride with on the sled 554 he came in wet ready to ride with everything at a scant 537 that is nearly 20 pounds then you make the mods that most of us do and you are down to probably close to 515 i say 09

Premium Features