• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help getting transfer out of the new '08 skids....

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
what ever you do do not move front of rear suspension down in tunnel for soft snow moved my buddies down half inch and tried to one up him built my own brackets to move mine down 3/4 inch got destroyed by 800 dragon I have 07 m-1000. by about 300feet went home put front of rear suspension back in factory spot killed dragon next day by 150 feet without trying. with suspension down in front skis come off ground on hard pack but sled trenches hard and won't stay on top in the fluffy stuff.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Geo,
I'd love to try the mod on my 07 float conversion, but bent the tunnel, and I'm afraid if I unbolt the skid, I won't get it back in. I'll have to wait until next season after I put my new tunnel on.
Did you find that the conversion trenched?? My tunnel is bent at the front mount, and the front arm might be just slightly tweeked, so that could be why I'm feeling that it trenches.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
LOL dmkhnr. Might straighten out the skid if you remount the rear lol. Bin there done that on my Revs.

The suspention mod makes it better everywhere, especially in the deep. Pops out right away compared to stock. Better to run zero preload on the front shock spring if it's bottomless, but with the mod it is less critical cause the skid moves as one in the first approx 33% of travel.
The transfer is controlled more with the throttle after the change.

feetsbig

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
B.C.
Well I got busy yesterday and did Geo's mod to my skid and rode it today.08 M1 162 2.5 Camo extreme.Doesnt seem to wheelie a whole lot more,but definately rides better with less bottming.I am getting a lot more track noise,almost sounds like the track is rubbing the top of the tunnel,will look at it tomorow,I am about 240 without gear,and i even with 125psi I still have to much sag

Last edited:

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
I rode the Geo mod today, Love it! It works way better all around. I dropped my shock pressure from 130 to 95 and it feels awesome.
Thanks Geo

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I know you can't have been bottoming (not even close) before the mod. What you were feeling was the suspention stopping from too much spring.
If the new mounting holes are slightly different side to side you will need to realign the track. Side clearance is tight on th M sleds and AC still uses plain old rivets (stick out too far)to mount the tunnel extention. I run my track very lose and haven`t had any issues.

Remember the sit-in neasurement (3.5in. at the running boards over the rear suspention mount). Might seem like a lot, but is critical to get to the proper shock linkage ratio. Sit down gently lol, and take your measurement. Don`t bounce up and down.
Don`t worry about how it looks or feels sitting still (cause the air shock is a little sticky), but how it works while riding.

Don`t be afraid to try a little lower pressure. 5psi is alot stiffer at the end of travel because the air spring effect is exponential.
I think most people will end up between 80 and 90 psi. 125 is definately too much.
When you have too much air it will feel like it is bottoming (rough) from the first bump on and won`t transfer a well as it can (remember you don`t want it to wheely everywhere) When you have too little air it will feel like it bottoms after the third, forth, or fifth bump `cause of the valving.
It never really bottoms, but that is the best way i can describe it.
I found 2.5 psi noticeable at max speeds but there definately is a 10psi range that is all good.

Once I found my sweet spot for my ability, weight, and speed. I haven`t touched it (pressures) from deep to snowcross (our trails in).

feetsbig

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
B.C.
Before the mod I started out at 80 psi and kept increasing it ontil 150 10 psi at of time .It was definatelly bottoming as I put white grease on the rubber rail stoppers and it was transfering to the spots where it would be if it bottomed.I have about 3.5 '' sag at the rear bumper now with no wieght on the sled.Holes are bang on and of course I readjusted the track.Maybe my shock is pooped? I did find it was not bottoming with the mod,once I got up to 125psi,but it has a lot of sag,and once I sit on it it drops about 6.5 ''at the rear bumper if I lift it straight up and dont so much as breathe on it,then sit on it,after I get off the seat it only comes back up about 3''

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you're bottoming with the float at 125psi it has a problem. Like Geo said it's exponential, even for a heavy guy the shock shouldn't bottom out. The sag measurement should be with static rider weight btw not empty.

I have 130psi on mine & it's a bit rough, but takes big hits really well. I'd love to see if this mod lets me decrease psi & maintain a decent ability to land smooth.

S
GEO Mod

I also did the Geo Mod for my rear suspension and tested it out on Sunday.
This is exactly what this sled needed. Many thanks to Geo for his knowlege
and his willingness to share on the forum with the rest of us. Cat R&D need to take notes and put this on the 09 models. Geo should get compensation for this deal! By the way, I had previously lowered my front torque arm by drilling the bottom hole in the plate but now it needs to be put back to stock as it has the tranfer that it should have had to begin with.

B

Budd

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern, ID.
I did geo's mod on my 153 sno pro and it works real well. For those who have done it to a 162, what kind of results did you get?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Nothing fancy there. Just lets the skid stroke and transfer. Don`t be afraid to try it. You`ll be happy at the end of the day.

I`m totally happy with my `08 M8 SP now. Best sled I`ve had for all conditions.

S

StrobsM8

Nov 27, 2007
Hey Geo, I have a 07 M8 and was wondering about converting the rear suspension to the 08. Could this mod be done if I would do that? I realize the springs are gone and there is an Fox air shock in the rear of the suspension but is there any difference from 07 to 08 on the front shock of the rear suspension?

H
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks Geo! I did the mod and really like it on a M1000 SP 163.

I am still working on getting the shocks set where I want but it is a much better ride and handles way better in the powder.

I buddy of mine said to put more air in the right shock up front on the M1000... I did this and found it helps alot when pulling it over to the right in an off camber downhill! I have 55 in the left and 50 in the right.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
On my `08 SP the middle shock is longer and has different dampening than my standard `07. Limiter straps are longer too.

If you just want to buy just the rear shock (you have to get the front arm anyway), Then I would recommend you mount the front arm in the lower hole in the tunnel to balance out the ride hieght in the skid.
Don`t do this if you get the `08 middle shock and straps.

Premium Features